Two biggest liabilities on D

huzkerbob

I agree with almost all of this. Both safties were HORRIBLE. Asante has been very disapointing. That blocked punt was completely unacceptable. That guy ran right past him and he just stood there. He didn't even try. Infact he didn't block anyone at all! And I also agree that Murillo was disapointing also. Both of these guys have had bad games (at least two of the last three). If we are banking on these guys, Washington Mutual looks good.

The liability is that the defense doesnt know then system well enough yet. There was not a single guy in the back 7 who were in the right place all the time. Huzkerbob said the mental breakdowns were the worst thing, I disagree. Mental breakdowns are much easier to correct than not having the horses. And right now, I just dont think they are as confident in the understanding of the system as they need to be.

I'm pretty pissed! We wanted Taylor to beat us w his arm: AND HE DID! K, they had a short field most of the game, but NO WAY Ty Tay should be looking like Ty 'Brady' out there w an inexp.'d rcving corp! VT IS NOT a passing team for god's sake! :ahhhhhhhh

NO PICKS! Whaddup w that?

Our 2ndary guys are just not that good folks, not that SMART!

I'm tired of waiting for them to 'learn the system', 'be in position' blah, blah, blah: they gotta be better than that. It's

:bs:

Ok. I am one who has said all along that talent level for NU is really lacking. This is being manifest somewhat before our eyes and will really be highlighted a great deal in the next few weeks. That said, these kids are trying and playing with all they have, We have no right to call out these kids by name. All that they have done is play their best and endeavor to wear the "N" with all that they have. I do not see any player that has been called out loafing. They are giving it their best (several may have confidence problems, they all have talent issues relative to top tier players at the major programs --- sure --- but heart and effort is there).

So, respectfully, these are kids. Our kids -- that is, our players who are doing their best. Cut them some slack. Sure, the unit play is lacking (both on units within the defense and the offense) and that can and should be addressed. But naming names of these guys is probably not the best means to support our team.

As for our guys not starting anywhere in the B12 --- that is probably a slight overstatement. It is true that very few of our players (offense or defense) would start on a top 25 team --- sure. But that is not the players fault. They just go out and give it their all. And that is all we can expect of them. So support these guys and root them on. Ragging on them and calling them out will not help them in any way. Nor will our calling players out make a new recruit who is considering NU feel especially inclined toward joining the team.

Support these guys. They are the best we have right now. It will get better.

Ok. I am one who has said all along that talent level for NU is really lacking. This is being manifest somewhat before our eyes and will really be highlighted a great deal in the next few weeks. That said, these kids are trying and playing with all they have, We have no right to call out these kids by name. All that they have done is play their best and endeavor to wear the "N" with all that they have. I do not see any player that has been called out loafing. They are giving it their best (several may have confidence problems, they all have talent issues relative to top tier players at the major programs --- sure --- but heart and effort is there).

So, respectfully, these are kids. Our kids -- that is, our players who are doing their best. Cut them some slack. Sure, the unit play is lacking (both on units within the defense and the offense) and that can and should be addressed. But naming names of these guys is probably not the best means to support our team.

As for our guys not starting anywhere in the B12 --- that is probably a slight overstatement. It is true that very few of our players (offense or defense) would start on a top 25 team --- sure. But that is not the players fault. They just go out and give it their all. And that is all we can expect of them. So support these guys and root them on. Ragging on them and calling them out will not help them in any way. Nor will our calling players out make a new recruit who is considering NU feel especially inclined toward joining the team.

Yes we do need to support our team. But we also need to be realistic. That blocked punt for the first 2 points really hurt the team and if that is the best that can be put out there we are in big trouble at this time. True that was one play but there were many. I don't know if it is understanding or what. All I know is nobody should be so confused as to stand there and watch that happen and do nothing.

So, calling out a player.... I have to agree and I'm guilty of this. I appologize. I just hope the coaching staff can get this resolved and Quick. I'm sure they will see it and have to wonder if some have what it takes or if we need to re-adjust the position of some of the kids in an effort to get better as a team. I will always support the team, but I'm just trying to look at is realisticly and some of it is very painfull.

Yes we do need to support our team. But we also need to be realistic. That blocked punt for the first 2 points really hurt the team and if that is the best that can be put out there we are in big trouble at this time. True that was one play but there were many. I don't know if it is understanding or what. All I know is nobody should be so confused as to stand there and watch that happen and do nothing.

So, calling out a player.... I have to agree and I'm guilty of this. I appologize. I just hope the coaching staff can get this resolved and Quick. I'm sure they will see it and have to wonder if some have what it takes or if we need to re-adjust the position of some of the kids in an effort to get better as a team. I will always support the team, but I'm just trying to look at is realisticly and some of it is very painfull.

I've been guilty at times too. It is a frustrating time. So we hone in on the positives and hope for the best.

I agree Asante is not the best. But to his credit, he got his lights turned out and then went back out on the field and got burned the next play. So i wonder if some of his mistakes werent related to a minor concusion he had. I know later in the game he wasnt playing anymore.

He must have had a concussion for the last four games...

I agree Asante is not the best. But to his credit, he got his lights turned out and then went back out on the field and got burned the next play. So i wonder if some of his mistakes werent related to a minor concusion he had. I know later in the game he wasnt playing anymore.

He must have had a concussion for the last four games...

I'm trying not to laugh :angry: , If you can't say something nice don't say any thing at all <_< ,

Oh hell with it :rollin:rollin:rollin

GBR!!!

Asante is the worst starting defensive player that I can ever remember at NU. Murillo isn't great either. He makes the occasional play, but whiffs on tackles and lets guys go by him. I really don't remember much of Wortman from last night. O'Hanlon is up and down.

Wow, we need help.

You don't remember too far back then. Ever heard of Pat Ricketts? Corey McKeon? He is bad, but not that bad.

Also, when you are running a cover 2, like we do, the safeties have deep responsibilities. The reason stated above was 100% accurate. Armando Murillo is a good CB, he covers his area pretty well. It looked to me that the guys were told to follow Taylor on his scrambles as a CB b/c they felt that was more dangerous than his arm. From the amount of open receivers running past the Safeties that he missed, I can see why. Asante and O'Hanlon are terrible. That long pass to the TE that went for 40 yds was all O'Hanlon's fault. He is not a Big 12 caliber defender. Asante should be playing LB, he is a run stopper first. The only problem is he has become an arm tackler. I thought he was supposed to be a big hitter when he was recruited? Oh well, Thenarse and Culbert seem to have potential and Eric Hagg has looked very good when he has been in the nickel. I would like to see a nickel hybrid defense as our base, with Thenarse, Culbert, Murillo, West/Hagg and Asante as a LB/nickel back. LB would be Dillard, Glenn along with our DL we have now.

By the way, I am very pleased with Pierre Allen's play. Am I the only one that has noticed?