MU's Gregory says NU fans are different than rest of B12

ESPN Big 12 Blog

Gregory says Nebraska fans are different than the rest

September 29, 2008 6:00 PM

Posted by ESPN.com's Tim Griffin

Missouri junior guard Kurtis Gregory said that playing at Memorial Stadium in Lincoln is different from any other facility in the Big 12.

"It's loud and it's crazy and they are real nice fans," Gregory said. "They kind of clap for you when you come out on the field for practice or when you leave. It's not what you always would expect."

Gregory said the fans' reaction is especially different when compared to other Big 12 North venues that might be a tad more hostile.

"Let me put it this way, we'd never expect to hear something like that at Kansas," he said, chuckling.

Would gladly give up our "nice" fan stigma for a "holy Sh*t they were crazy" comment every once in a while....and by that I mean loud....really loud...... :bonez

Co-signed.

What Gregory is saying basically is that Memorial Stadium is not a hard place to play for a visiting team. <_<

He didn't say that your fans were quiet, just that your fans don't scream the F-word at 5 year olds, like you might find elsewhere.

Another recommendation from an opposing player...yet when the subject comes up on other boards we get no respect for our sportsmanship, that just goes to show that some of the other boards members don't have much of that.

I hope that this is something that we will never lose as Big Red fans...and hope that more people recognize it in the future.

Maybe I'm weird but I've never clapped for the other team and I NEVER will. I find this almost as annoying as the wave.

I find it weird that some of the people that clap for the bad guys yell the whole game at the good guys. That seems odd to me.

I would almost bet you can't find an article like this about any of the SEC schools or any staduim that rocks during a game.

Maybe I'm weird but I've never clapped for the other team and I NEVER will. I find this almost as annoying as the wave.

I find it weird that some of the people that clap for the bad guys yell the whole game at the good guys. That seems odd to me.

I would almost bet you can't find an article like this about any of the SEC schools or any staduim that rocks during a game.

yes, clapping for an opponent as they are helped off the field is absolutely TERRIBLE! Wouldn't want to do that.... it's a sign of respect. You don't have to clap for them when they come on or off the field, and actually, i don't think i've ever heard that... but the difference is we aren't Miami (Pasadena circa Jan 2002) cheering when opponents lay injured on the ground.... God know's when that happens to us Husker fan's are pissed off, and fans anywhere, and rightfully so......

yes, clapping for an opponent as they are helped off the field is absolutely TERRIBLE! Wouldn't want to do that.... it's a sign of respect.

I didn’t mean when they are injured I meant when they come out of the tunnel for warm-ups, when the band plays their fight song, or when they leave the field after the game. I clap for the injured people getting up and getting helped off the field. That is funny though because some moron sitting behind me last year actually cheered out loud when Grixby got hurt and was on the ground. You know the kicker he was a Husker “fan”.

I thought that is what we were talking about so I didn’t figure I had to address the injured player thing. That is sportsmanship the other stuff is just “fluff” if you ask me.

Would gladly give up our "nice" fan stigma for a "holy Sh*t they were crazy" comment every once in a while....and by that I mean loud....really loud...... :bonez

Co-signed.

What Gregory is saying basically is that Memorial Stadium is not a hard place to play for a visiting team. <_<

He didn't say that your fans were quiet, just that your fans don't scream the F-word at 5 year olds, like you might find elsewhere.

Being loud when the Jumbotron tells you to does not cut it.