Ganz's Decisions

cmb23

Obviously Ganz is not off to the start we might have expected after last season. No 400 yard games. No 4 TD performances. Etc...

Also, I am not the QB and we don't see EVERYTHING on TV that he does/doesn't see on the field. But after every game I am left asking the same questions...

1. Are our receivers not getting open or is Joe having trouble seeing the routes develop? Why is it taking so long?

2. Is it just me or does he many times flush himself out of the pocket even if there is no pressure coming? I understand that he may not be the best pocket passer, but running away from your line/protection on nearly every play can't be by design.

3. Um...THROW THE FRIGGIN' BALL AWAY!!!! And when I say 'AWAY' I mean out of bounds....not flipping it carelessly to a linebacker!

Ok.....discuss....

I think it's a lot of things. Sometimes the wr's aren't open, and he chooses not too scramble or throw the ball away. Sometime's wr's are rediculously wide open and he doesn't see them. Sometimes he really seems to lock on wr's on those roll out passes when he gets picked for a td. To me, he doesn't look real comfortable in the pocket, but with o line play, who can blame him. I think some of these reasons are probably why Keller started in front of him last year. He just lacks consistency. Hopefully within the next few weeks he starts making more of those homerun plays and less mistakes than so far this season. He's got a lot of heart and is a great leader and I know the players are all behind him.

Obviously Ganz is not off to the start we might have expected after last season. No 400 yard games. No 4 2. Is it just me or does he many times flush himself out of the pocket even if there is no pressure coming? I understand that he may not be the best pocket passer, but running away from your line/protection on nearly every play can't be by design.

I thought I read somewhere Joe is most comfortable NOT being in the pocket and would prefer to scramble out. So whether it's by design or it's just Joe doing what he feels comfortable with, I don't know.

Obviously Ganz is not off to the start we might have expected after last season. No 400 yard games. No 4 TD performances. Etc...

Also, I am not the QB and we don't see EVERYTHING on TV that he does/doesn't see on the field. But after every game I am left asking the same questions...

1. Are our receivers not getting open or is Joe having trouble seeing the routes develop? Why is it taking so long?

2. Is it just me or does he many times flush himself out of the pocket even if there is no pressure coming? I understand that he may not be the best pocket passer, but running away from your line/protection on nearly every play can't be by design.

3. Um...THROW THE FRIGGIN' BALL AWAY!!!! And when I say 'AWAY' I mean out of bounds....not flipping it carelessly to a linebacker!

Ok.....discuss....

1) yeah our receivers are not getting open sometimes, but i don't think it's happening that much

2) some of those are designed roll-outs, a few times maybe he's rolled out of the pocket when he should have stepped up into the pocket.. but that's not really the kind of QB he is, he is comfortable throwing outside the pocket

3) on the throw to the LB he simply didn't see the LB jumping the route. there's been a few times he's taken sacks or tried to force a throw when he should have thrown it away however.

Bottom line is that much of this would be a non-issue if the line was giving him better protection, and blocking better in the run game to keep the pressure off the passing game.

Criticism of Ganz is pretty nit-picky at this point.

I don't think that Ganz looks comfortable in OR out of the pocket. He hasn't seemed to get in flow at any point this year.

And I'm not arguing the fact that the line, for much of the season so far, has let more people through than a buffet in Las Vegas. But he gets happy feet even when the line actually holds up for him. Again, I just don't think he's comfortable at all.

Being nit-picky of Joe Ganz? Welcome to the life of a starting QB of a major division 1 program.

And if we're getting nit-picky...let me start on the running game. Oh, wait, I'm pretty sure there's another 27 threads about that subject.

I'm not sure any team can get their recievers open within 3 seconds. Fault: O-line

What we know so far is this:

The O-line is not helping out. The recievers are not the quickest off the ball. And Ganz - although he knows the offense really well - has only 8 starts.

He is still learning out on the field when things break down. When the line collapses, he starts to roll out. The recievers come out of their routes, turn around, see him rolling and have to adjust. It's a breakdown and it all starts with the line & the backs not picking up the slack. And when it does, it happens so quickly.

We have seen good results when Ganz has space and time to throw the ball. Unfortunately the competition is tougher.

This only time this offense has moved the ball with the most consistent success is when they are in a hurry-up offense. Shotgun formation.

Maybe it's just me but he doesn't seem to be the same guy from last year. How many times has he carried it up the field so far this year? To me, and I'm by no means an expert, he seems to be hesitant to run the ball and he seems to be trying to hard. I think if he would sit back and relax it'd be alright. Like everyone else has said though, having any sort of running game would really help things along in the passing game.

Ok.....discuss....

First off I would like to say that even last year I did not drink the joe Ganz kool-aid. He simply is not a big 12 QB plain and simple. Last year we were forced to throw the ball more which was one of the two main reasons that the numbers were better and also we had a bit of a better running game. Any threat of being able to run the ball is a plus and this year we simply do not have that.

Answer to quesiton 1= I go to all of the games and Joe Ganz misses alot of open recivers. He also looks at one single receiver way to long and fails to go down the progressions of routes and recievers. If he would also check down to his backs sometimes when they swing to the outside, that is a big part of the west coast offense and they are failing to do that this year.

2=He does leave the pocket early. sometimes this is by design but other times he is just bailing out which causes to much of a mess to throw into. He needs to stay in the pocket and get rid of the ball sooner because he holds the ball to long he has no clock in his head of when that pressure will be there.

3=You are right on the money with question 3. He needs to throw the ball away instead of make a stupid forced pass or take a sack, both of those are terrible things to do .

Don't be hasty, gang.

Joe Ganz is a better quarterback than Sam Keller. He has great footwork, a rocket arm, serious competitive chops and can check off the whole field quickly, which he has to do given his o-line and an increasingly one-dimensional offensive scheme. He can run the ball and take a hit better than most pure passers out there.

A lot of things aren't working as hoped, but it's not Joe Ganz. I don't think Pelini and Watson were planning on him throwing 450 yards in a losing effort he did last year.

I think we're wasting the senior season of one of our best quarterbacks in years. And Joe Ganz looks more like a pro prospect than Sam Keller did, though he's easily lost in a year of top-shelf Big 12 QBs.

I don't think that Ganz looks comfortable in OR out of the pocket. He hasn't seemed to get in flow at any point this year.

And I'm not arguing the fact that the line, for much of the season so far, has let more people through than a buffet in Las Vegas. But he gets happy feet even when the line actually holds up for him. Again, I just don't think he's comfortable at all.

Being nit-picky of Joe Ganz? Welcome to the life of a starting QB of a major division 1 program.

And if we're getting nit-picky...let me start on the running game. Oh, wait, I'm pretty sure there's another 27 threads about that subject.

I mean it's nit-picky because there are many other positions that are much worse off than the QB. By comparison Ganz's problems have nothing against the LB's, CB, Safties, Offensive Line, etc.. Shouldn't we be worried about our WEAK positions not our STRONG positions?