Talent Level

Seriously, you guys wanna talk talent?

I think it's pretty telling that Bo took a back up RB who hasn't played a down of defense since HS, moves him over to the other side of the line, and he becomes arguably NU's best player.

Patience. I had it with Callahan. Many of you did, too. Bo is doing a lot of things right.

Experts say it takes at least 6 months to break a bad habit. Bo has had 2 weeks in the spring, and now 2 months this fall. His track record speaks for itself. He's had success with his system on a consistent basis. I am confident he will get us there, it will just take more time than I had hoped.

It's only his 6th game ever as a head coach! Was Alabama great last year? No. Was OU very good in Stoops's first year? No. Was KU very good in Mangino's first years? No.

Have some faith. I know everyone wants to win, as do I, but sheesh.

i was going to make that point also.... but suh is probably our best... and well, i won't be surprised to see more position changes over the next spring now that pelini has more of a sense of who the players are....

talent on offense? it's def there.

talent on defense? it's secondary... in comparison to the offense.... just not the speed we need.

Well. I do not see offensive talent at any level above, well top 40 or so. Frankly we do not have a receiver that can gain separation in a man-to-man setting. Swift has great heart and is a fine player. I really like him. He gets open pretty well based upon his route running. He is not, however, an NFL type WR. And he is our best (at least the best we have seen). Our OL is suspect. Our TE's are well below the conference average. Our RB's --- hard to say. certainly they are decent, maybe pretty good --- but much more than that? That would be tough to defend.

Ganz? He is a fine player. Perhaps 7th - 9th in the conference and top 30 or so nationally. That is good. But, again, well... not stellar. So, where is this talent you see?

It's only his 6th game ever as a head coach! Was Alabama great last year? No. Was OU very good in Stoops's first year? No. Was KU very good in Mangino's first years? No.

Just wondering where this came from based off the responses in this thread. I don't believe anyone was questioning Bo just wondering about the Talent level compared to what people are saying. Maybe I missed something though. :dunno

I think there are other threads questioning the coaches though. <_<

Nebraska's talent may not be top 20 or 25 talent but if you look at the top 25 does Ball State from top to bottom have top 25 talent? NO! They have a great QB in Nate Davis and a few decent position players but the only top 25 talnet they have is Davis. Look at Pitt, North Carolina, Northwestern come on these teams have little to no top 25 talent but they are ranked or near being ranked. On some of the plays that Nebraska does not make it is simple fundamentals that are broken not talent. Missed tackles comes from coaching not an assesment in tackling. That is something that can be worked on in practice and needs to be. I also do not know why the D-line and some of the o-line lost all of the weight they did. Potter was one of the better d players last year and this year he is decent but not playing at the same level as last year. In regards to NFL players on offense Marlon Lucky will be a third down back who is drafted, in the future youll have Javario Burkes, Helu will be, Marcus Mendoza has not played this year but he will be in the NFL someday. If you look at last years recruting class (2008) Bo does not have to much speed. Cameron Merdith is faster than Kreikemeier who is a LB. flash to the 09 recruting class and the fastest guy yuo have runs a 4.47 40. That is not blazing! The conditioning program needs to be examined because I thought that would all help but clearly it has not and I believe that it has made some players get pushed all over the field more.

Some very good points about Ball State and the others. but those teams will not end up in the top 25 when this season is finished and often teams with weak schedules and good records end up in the top 25 w/o really belonging there.

Your points are all excellent. Nice post.

Kansas ended up in the top 10 last year. What was their recruiting like 4 and 5 years ago? South Florida came out of nowhere last year. What was their recruiting like 4 and 5 years ago? Oregon State has comparable talent to USC? I'd also have to question Alabama having all this great talent as they've been scholly limited and nearly emasculated by probation from the past. Snyder built some great teams out of JuCo's. You don't have to have spectacular talent to win. If it came down to a talent pool year in and year out, then USC; Florida; Miami; Texas; OU; etc. would win each and every year. When Cooper was at Ohio State, they were the NFL pipeline. However, he never won a NC. Talent will only take you so far.

I'd have to really doubt Boise State has more talent than we do. I'd have to really doubt Hawaii last year had more talent than we do. Miami has gobs more talent than we do, yet they're still struggling and have a worse record than we do. Now, look at North Carolina that just beat them. They have a great coach, but they don't have superior talent yet.

Some coaches have to have superior talent to win, and some coaches can win without it. If we have to have superior talent to win, then we're going to be down for quite a while. TO never got superior talent, and I highly doubt we're ever going to get superior talent top to bottom recruited into Lincoln, NE.

Seriously, you guys wanna talk talent?

I think it's pretty telling that Bo took a back up RB who hasn't played a down of defense since HS, moves him over to the other side of the line, and he becomes arguably NU's best player.

Patience. I had it with Callahan. Many of you did, too. Bo is doing a lot of things right.

Experts say it takes at least 6 months to break a bad habit. Bo has had 2 weeks in the spring, and now 2 months this fall. His track record speaks for itself. He's had success with his system on a consistent basis. I am confident he will get us there, it will just take more time than I had hoped.

This is a very good statement...as a person living in Okieland. This is the exact thing Stoops did when he got to OU. He was given Blake's players and after the first year started moving them around to different positions. Of course, he brought in a QB to run Leach's system and what do you know...he won a NC!

Not that we can duplicate this same scenario but evaluation is just one of the parts of being a head coach. I will be interested to see if players are asked to move around after the season.

Just wondering where this came from based off the responses in this thread. I don't believe anyone was questioning Bo just wondering about the Talent level compared to what people are saying. Maybe I missed something though. :dunno

Sorry, I'm all fired up after the embarassment Saturday. Bygones?

Nebraska's talent may not be top 20 or 25 talent but if you look at the top 25 does Ball State from top to bottom have top 25 talent? NO! They have a great QB in Nate Davis and a few decent position players but the only top 25 talnet they have is Davis. Look at Pitt, North Carolina, Northwestern come on these teams have little to no top 25 talent but they are ranked or near being ranked. On some of the plays that Nebraska does not make it is simple fundamentals that are broken not talent. Missed tackles comes from coaching not an assesment in tackling. That is something that can be worked on in practice and needs to be. I also do not know why the D-line and some of the o-line lost all of the weight they did. Potter was one of the better d players last year and this year he is decent but not playing at the same level as last year. In regards to NFL players on offense Marlon Lucky will be a third down back who is drafted, in the future youll have Javario Burkes, Helu will be, Marcus Mendoza has not played this year but he will be in the NFL someday. If you look at last years recruting class (2008) Bo does not have to much speed. Cameron Merdith is faster than Kreikemeier who is a LB. flash to the 09 recruting class and the fastest guy yuo have runs a 4.47 40. That is not blazing! The conditioning program needs to be examined because I thought that would all help but clearly it has not and I believe that it has made some players get pushed all over the field more.

Some very good points about Ball State and the others. but those teams will not end up in the top 25 when this season is finished and often teams with weak schedules and good records end up in the top 25 w/o really belonging there.

Your points are all excellent. Nice post.

Kansas ended up in the top 10 last year. What was their recruiting like 4 and 5 years ago? South Florida came out of nowhere last year. What was their recruiting like 4 and 5 years ago? Oregon State has comparable talent to USC? I'd also have to question Alabama having all this great talent as they've been scholly limited and nearly emasculated by probation from the past. Snyder built some great teams out of JuCo's. You don't have to have spectacular talent to win. If it came down to a talent pool year in and year out, then USC; Florida; Miami; Texas; OU; etc. would win each and every year. When Cooper was at Ohio State, they were the NFL pipeline. However, he never won a NC. Talent will only take you so far.

I'd have to really doubt Boise State has more talent than we do. I'd have to really doubt Hawaii last year had more talent than we do. Miami has gobs more talent than we do, yet they're still struggling and have a worse record than we do. Now, look at North Carolina that just beat them. They have a great coach, but they don't have superior talent yet.

Some coaches have to have superior talent to win, and some coaches can win without it. If we have to have superior talent to win, then we're going to be down for quite a while. TO never got superior talent, and I highly doubt we're ever going to get superior talent top to bottom recruited into Lincoln, NE.

I agree that Boise State and Hawaii have less talent than NU --- but they got ranked by beating nobodys --- if they played in the B12 they would be .500 or less --- or, if better, still not ranked better.

It is true that talent is not everything --- but it is the basis upon which consistent excellence arises.

As for Osborne not having talent --- well that is not true --- he had teams that had as many as 10 guys drafted! No --- NU had great talent in the mid 90's and always had good talent. Those Osborne teams --- even at their worst had substantially better talent (relative to their competition) than NU has now --- at least two or three levels up from the current squad.

And, by the way, USC, Texas, LSU, OU --- the teams you point out that are the most talented --- you proved my point --- they do win the MNC almost every year. It is very, very, very rare that a team with less than top 10 talent wins it all. And, almost every time the winner has top 5 talent.

That same no talent Boise State team handed a big fat L to the boys down in Norman a couple years back in a BCS bowl. I've been over and over this and even reported the stats before. Solich inherited less NFL talent from the great TO than BC did from Solich's recruited talent. Go back through the rivals recruting rankings and show me exactly how much top 5 talent and top 10 talent TO had when we magically won 3 NC's in 4 years. Someone a year or so ago went through the statistics. Yeah, teams with top 5 talent do win the NC. However, 40% of the time teams with top 20 talent fall unranked at season's end. Look at Miami this year. Explain to me how USC falls to less than stellar talent against Oregon State this year and Stanford last year. OU loses to CU last year. Texas falls to KSU. Talent is just one block in building a team. If that's all you have, you're going to be in for a long season.

Consistent excellence arises from a coaching staff that has been in place for a while. It arises from a staff developing a team.

talent is as talent does.

The proof of the pudding so to speak is the performance on the field. talent expressed in practice, or in the film room or weight room doesn't count.

... it's on the field of battle where football talent comes out.

or doesn't.

GO BO!!

BEAT TT!!

Sorry, I'm all fired up after the embarassment Saturday. Bygones?

No worries. I was just wondering. :thumbs

Like I said just because it is underdeveloped talent doesn’t mean it isn’t talent.

well if it's coaching, they may turn around a bit this season. or not.

two coaching staffs, mostly the same kids...

...mostly the same results so far.

granted it's early, only five games in.

GO BO!!

I would be happier loosing a couple more games than have to put up with that dipsh!t Callahan for one more single day.

Pelini gets it and they will get better but it will take time and most definitely test our patience.

SUPERBUNNY

I would be happier loosing a couple more games

loosing?

you'll be pretty happy this year then, losing a few more games is likely.

than have to put up with that dipsh!t Callahan for one more single day.

cally is gone... you don't have to put up with him one more day, hour, minute. he's been gone all season. he's moved on, a few folks around here should as well....

GO BO!!

BEAT TT!!