Something to think about - players reading message boards

I heard this on the pregame radio intro Saturday afternoon (Matt Davison?). He said the players actually do have time to read what is being posted on message boards despite what the coaches do to try and have them focus on what they are are trying to get across to them on the practice field and film room.

If this is true...and let's make an assumption it IS true...shouldn't the posts calling out individual players be framed differently? Or maybe our posts be a little more motivational? How do we address 18 - 21 year old student athletes in the way we post.

Food for thought.

I am sure they read the boards, and discuss what is on them. However, I don't think you can control what is said about individual players, especially when they are going to the press and making statements that the majority of the fans won't agree with.

As a player, I think you have to take these boards with a grain of salt. You are never as good or as bad as they would have you believe.

It's definitely true. I think Quentin Toailoa is actually a member of this board.

we know that one walk on sure is... :clap

I would like to see more players on here....then maybe fans wouldn't be so critical of them. I think it is easy to forget that these are 18-21 year old kids. Sometimes they do some stupid stuff, but sometimes they can have their act together a lot better than some of us, too.

It's definitely true. I think Quentin Toailoa is actually a member of this board.

I would like to see more players on here....then maybe fans wouldn't be so critical of them. I think it is easy to forget that these are 18-21 year old kids. Sometimes they do some stupid stuff, but sometimes they can have their act together a lot better than some of us, too.

Doing stupid stuff is getting arrested.

Getting beat on the field is not doing stupid stuff...its just getting beat, and it happens.

Doing stupid stuff is getting arrested.

Getting beat on the field is not doing stupid stuff...its just getting beat, and it happens.

I have one guarentee for you....every week about half of the teams WILL lose their games. It happens. :sarcasm

I totally agree Huskertrucker. More to the fact if more NU fans, myself included, posted as if we truly were sitting around a coffee shop table and there was a player/coach sitting amongst us. I guarantee the posts would be turned down a notch or 2.

I totally agree Huskertrucker. More to the fact if more NU fans, myself included, posted as if we truly were sitting around a coffee shop table and there was a player/coach sitting amongst us. I guarantee the posts would be turned down a notch or 2.

You will still have your flamethrowers...and unfortunately if they knew that they were addressing a player, they would do everything they could to be obnoxious. I guess the Mods could somewhat oversee those types, as they do now.

To be honest, if I was a player, I don't know that I would want to be reading what has been on here lately...and I will include some of the posts that even I have made. This board is a good release when it comes to dealing with the frustrations we all are feeling. But I am thankful that Bo isn't taking all his advice from myself or any of the other posters on this board. We like to think we are good arm chair quarterbacks, but in all honesty, most Div I coaches would think we are totally whacked. :clap

If you are good enough to be a college football player and MAKE THE CHOICE to do so you accept other aspects:

1 - You represent the school and the state. Act like you would when representing your family.

2 - You are being given the right to get an education - don't piss it away as there are many that will never get the opportunity

3 - You are knowingly going to hear, read and have to deal and accept criticism - if you are willing to hear and accept all the accolades and glory, then be ready to accept the opposite end of the spectrum.

In my eyes, fans should not ever have to watch what they say. An 18-22 year old isn't a 4 year old. They are old enough to make their own decision, voice their own opinions and make their own mistakes. If you are too thin-skinned to hear and know what people are thinking about you, then you probably shouldn't be on TV week in and week out putting yourself on display.

In my eyes, fans should not ever have to watch what they say. An 18-22 year old isn't a 4 year old. They are old enough to make their own decision, voice their own opinions and make their own mistakes. If you are too thin-skinned to hear and know what people are thinking about you, then you probably shouldn't be on TV week in and week out putting yourself on display.

Can I come to your place of work with a couple hundred other people and criticize you and how you do your job...every day and see how you handle it? I think you would not like that very much, and we probably wouldn't know anything about your job most likely, just like you don't know every detail of what their job is on the field for every play. I think you have to kind of cut a break, unless they do something or say something that warrants criticism. If they were THAT good, they would already be in the NFL. I think you can criticize an NFL player, but most of these kids are far from perfect. I think they only criticism that they are required to actually accept is from the coaches, not the fans, when it comes to football. If they do something off the field, then I think they are open to anyone that wants to criticize them.

Effort or lack of effort that can be seen can be commented on, if blatant, but should also be dealt with by the coaches. But when it comes down to performance, we don't know what they are being told to do on different schemes...for all we know it could be just a bad game plan. We also all have bad days, but it does seem like lately there are a lot of bad days being had on this football team. At some point you have to hope that they will figure out where the problems are and fix them.

I do agree that they need to represent themselves and the university in a positive way, and it is part of the deal when they sign on. Doing or saying something that reflects negatively on the university should be dealt with by the coaches and the legal system when appropriate. I think anything they put out there in the press is open to comment by the public...and they should expect it.

I have a daughter getting ready to head to college. I know for a fact that she would never be able to handle much of the pressure some of these kids are under being in the public eye. When people are under pressure, they do strange things...even stupid things.

If they decide to come on to a message board they should know that individuals will be called out. Maybe they can handle and do not have a problem with it. You are not overhearing someones thoughts when coming to a message board, that is a choice to come here. If they decide to than so be it that would be cool to get their perspective though and maybe we could understand better of what they think. I do not think that people should not call people out. Thats part of being in the spot light weather you are 18 or 81, they chose to get the exposure of playing NCAA football