Becks redshirt - several position changes

From the LJS

Nebraska, 5-6 last season, begins spring practice on March 23. Come August, when preseason camp begins, touted recruit Harrison Beck will join the quarterback fray.

"The question has been raised: ‘Will we redshirt Harrison?' " Callahan said. "I told him that we wouldn't redshirt him. Right now, I want him to come in and compete for the spot. If he's ready, he's ready. It'll be a good barometer to see where he's at.

Quite a few pretty interesting changes..

* Senior Seppo Evwaraye, who started at right tackle last season, moves to left tackle, where Nebraska lost 2004 starter Mike Erickson to graduation.

"I want to see if we can anchor that side of the line," Callahan said.

Touted redshirt freshman Lydon Murtha also will begin the spring at left tackle, while 6-foot-6, 310-pound senior Cornealius Thomas will start out on the right side, Callahan said.

* Sophomore Tierre Green moves from I-back to cornerback. The 6-foot, 200-pound Green last season rushed for 284 yards on 44 attempts in a reserve role.

"Tierre has the ability to play I-back," Callahan said. "But I want to take a look at him at corner because he has great speed. When you run the 40 in :04.43, and you're the fastest player on the team, it just behooves you to try the corner spot.

"He just wants to play, and I can't blame him."

* Senior Mike Stuntz moves from quarterback to safety. Stuntz started his college career in 2001 at split end before moving into a backup role at quarterback in 2002. He sat out as a redshirt in 2003 and last season returned to a reserve role at QB, never entering a game at the position. He did, however, contribute on special teams.

"He's a smart guy, he's heady, he has good football instincts — he can make adjustments back there and communicate," Callahan said. "And he is physical. I really want to look at him hard back there this spring."

* Junior Marque McCray moves from receiver to running back. The 5-foot-9, 185-pound McCray didn't see action last season after starring in 2003 as a running back and return man at the College of San Mateo, Calif.

"I want to look at him with the ball in his hands this spring and see what he's capable of doing," Callahan said. "He's a quick guy. He provided a great look for the offensive scout team against our defense last fall."

* Senior Jared Helming, 6-3 and 300 pounds, moves from offensive line to defensive line.

"He could be a good early down player for us in terms of stopping the run," Callahan said. "He's extremely strong. He has good physical ability at the point of attack. He's the anchor you look for in a defensive tackle."

* Senior Blake Tiedtke moves from strong safety to cornerback.

Elsewhere, senior tight end Matt Herian, who broke his leg and wrist on the same play against Missouri last October, is "very doubtful" for the start of spring practice, Callahan said.

"We'll see how it goes," Callahan said. "Maybe we can get him out there at some point."

http://www.journalstar.com/articles/2005/0...9d668525155.txt

I like the fact that BC is moving people around based on their abilities and seeing what they can do - that's smart football.

There's nothing worse than seeing a special teamer who happens to be a reserve wide receiver make fantastic pursuits and tackles and then wonder why he's sitting the bench as a WR when you have a weakness at safety or corner. Stuff like that makes me think the talent's being wasted.

IRISH!

Well I was wondering if some one here could give me the break down of rocket fuel. I need to know the percentages of each component. I am sure most on here knows the answer because almost all on here no more about coaching and player development than the people hired to do the job. Do we have any rocket fuel fans here?

Let the coaches do their jobs. If you knew more, you would have their jobs. Get a clue.

Well I was wondering if some one here could give me the break down of rocket fuel. I need to know the percentages of each component. I am sure most on here knows the answer because almost all on here no more about coaching and player development than the people hired to do the job. Do we have any rocket fuel fans here?

Let the coaches do their jobs. If you knew more, you would have their jobs. Get a clue.

You lost me with this one. I didn't see anyone on this topic saying they knew more then the coaches.

Well I was wondering if some one here could give me the break down of rocket fuel.  I need to know the percentages of each component.  I am sure most on here knows the answer because almost all on here no more about coaching and player development than the people hired to do the job.  Do we have any rocket fuel fans here?

Let the coaches do their jobs.  If you knew more, you would have their jobs.  Get a clue.

You lost me with this one. I didn't see anyone on this topic saying they knew more then the coaches.

Althought, now that you mention it...

40% powdered aluminum, 40% ammonium perchlorate, and about 15% polybutadiene or isopropyl alcohol (yes, one can learn things watching movies...Red October baby!).

As for McCray - his size and speed make him a good choice for a scatback sort of runner. If he's got the hands, I have to agree he'll be dangerous in the flat.

IRISH!

With his quickness and moves a RB coming out of the backfield catching a short pass against a LB will chew up a defense. Maybe BC thinks he can catch better than anyone else IMO.

GBR

:horns2:horns2

I love this logic rawhide. Makes sence to me. Callahan loves to use a ton of players. He likes to find the best fit for every player. Get all your playmakers in an opportunity to make plays.