Question about Nebraska's History....

Did the old "Bugeaters" ever play any?

Yeah, 'Pesticide Bowl' back in 19whatever...

What kind of demented minds name their team, 'Bugeaters'? The mascot must have been brutal. :dumdum

:box It was unique....personally, I think it was a mistake to ever change the name...and if they were going to change it...should have changed it to "Sand Hillbillies" when Callahan was HC....but I am sure that the politically correct left came along and said we was offending people that ate bugs in South America or something...

I think it was the Pesticide Bowl that we got wiped out in....a little before my time, but think that probably led to us changing to Cornhuskers... :sarcasm

I was thinking that way back in teh day there were a few times where we went like 8-0 or 9-0, one year we weren't even scored on, but we weren't champions. You can look at teh schedules and results all on huskerpedia.com.

1902: 10-2 186 points for - 0 against (Independent)

1903: 11-0 291 points for - 17 against (Independent)

1913: 8-0 138 points for - 28 against (MVIAA)

1914: 7-0-1 174 points for - 28 against (MVIAA)

1915: 8-0 282 points for - 39 against (MVIAA)

I believe the head coach back then was Tom Osborne.... <_<

Still...other than league championships, I don't think they had actual National Champions declared...hell, back then, I don't even know if Nebraska was officially a state or still a territory!

Here is a link to the 2008 NCAA record book, it shows most of the past years NC picks by various selectors. There is no official NCAA D1A(FBS) NC, (click on National Poll Ranking on the left) so some schools show NCs for years other than the AP or Coaches polls.

The AP did not start picking their NC until after the bowls games until 1970, and the Coaches not until 1974. Had the AP not changed NU would not have been NC in 1970. The AP also had their NC after the bowls for the 1965 season, so if NU had beaten Bama they would have been NC that year. In 1949 the AP also did a post bowl poll but it was not official, so Notre Dame is listed as NC for that year, but Michigan also claims it since they won the post bowl poll that was not official.

Some selectors do predated polls. For example Billingsly use to have NU as his NC for 1915, but when the BCS changed its formula a few years ago, he redid his and now Oklahoma is his NC for that year.

NCAA Record Book

post-4426-1225994032.jpg

2 HuskerTrucker: well, way back then, as I understand it, the Pesticides wiped out all the bugs hence there were none left to be eaten by Nebraskans(which I think was a totally SICK and backward cultural practice anyway!). So it was in the name of progress that we were forced to abandon the beloved 'Bugeaters' tag. :blink:

The year we lost to Ark in the Cotton Bowl, didn't the teams ranked ahead of us lose also. If we had won that game, I think they were saying we would have moved up to number 1. Seems I remember something like that. Maybe some one else can refresh me on this one.

I don't think so, but that season (1964) is goofy. I know the UPI didn't do a final poll back then (which is how Texas claims a championship in 1970), but I don't see a final poll for the AP either, and I thought they did.

We lost the last regular season game to OU, and came into the bowl #6, against #2 Arkansas. #5 Texas beat #2 Alabama. #3 Notre Dame didn't go to a bowl. #4 Michigan won the Rose Bowl. So it was guaranteed that one team ahead of us would win and another would not lose (because they didn't play). ANd it turned out that yet another team ahead of us won. So it doesn't seem like there was a chance for a championship, and nobody was going to recognize it anyway since there was no post-bowl vote.

How everyone gives Alabama the championship, I don't know. Arkansas was unbeaten, including a win over Texas. It just shows how all these championship claims back in those days and earlier really don't mean what they do today.

Maybe you are thinking about 1965, which I already mentioned.

OK. Thanks. Long time ago, memory not what it used to be :lol:

GBR!!!