1994 - Miami WIN

1995 - Florida WIN

1997 - Tennessee WIN

2001 - Miami

Gottat fix a couple for ya...

1981-Clemson-If Turner had played, NU wins

1983-Miami-Play them on a neutral field 10 times NU wins 8 or 9

1993-FSU-Refs cheated out a win for Bowden

2001-Miami-Buncha thugs...would've liked to see Oregon get their asses handed to them instead of us! And I am sick of the CU issue...you don't lose to a WAC team at home and get to play in the NC game!

Until the BCS came about, there wasn't a National Championship game, so there's no absolute answer.

I assume you are talking about games that had we won, we'd have probably been #1 in at least one major poll, but not games like the Georgia Tech game where they won and got a share, but we had no chance.

Obviously the 5 championships count.

Also 2001, 1993, and 1983 for sure.

1981 possibly...I think the Sugar Bowl turned out in a way to give us a chance if we had beat Clemson, but there's no guarantee at all we'd have got.

1966 was like that too, 1 & 2 lost earlier in the day so had we beaten Alabama, we'd have probably taken it, I think. Both of those years are like how things fell our way in 1970.

There may have been another year or two where things possibly could've fallen into place, but didn't, so by game time we knew the championship wasn't on the line. I can't remember any like that for sure though. 1982 would've been a possibility since we only had 1 loss, but I think 1 & 2 were playing each other?

Looks like 10, unless anyone else can come up with anothe one.

The year we lost to Ark in the Cotton Bowl, didn't the teams ranked ahead of us lose also. If we had won that game, I think they were saying we would have moved up to number 1. Seems I remember something like that. Maybe some one else can refresh me on this one.

I don't think so, but that season (1964) is goofy. I know the UPI didn't do a final poll back then (which is how Texas claims a championship in 1970), but I don't see a final poll for the AP either, and I thought they did.

We lost the last regular season game to OU, and came into the bowl #6, against #2 Arkansas. #5 Texas beat #2 Alabama. #3 Notre Dame didn't go to a bowl. #4 Michigan won the Rose Bowl. So it was guaranteed that one team ahead of us would win and another would not lose (because they didn't play). ANd it turned out that yet another team ahead of us won. So it doesn't seem like there was a chance for a championship, and nobody was going to recognize it anyway since there was no post-bowl vote.

How everyone gives Alabama the championship, I don't know. Arkansas was unbeaten, including a win over Texas. It just shows how all these championship claims back in those days and earlier really don't mean what they do today.

Maybe you are thinking about 1965, which I already mentioned.