bowl possibilities

np_husker

Bigrediowan, I understand your thought process. With NU going to like 40 straight bowls or what ever it was. MU has not been to near as many or as often. But the last 3 years we have sold out and traveled. We have shown up in droves. In fact in my lifetime there has never been a problem with MU not buying up all the tickets they can get their hands on. Just because we dont have the same history doesnt mean we do show up. To say there is no comparision is BS.

Unless you are talking about the number of bowls NU fans have traveled to. then yes sir, you are correct. THere is no comparision between MU and NU.

I can see what your saying there and I am happy that your fanbase is beginning to travel better. I was just coming to this conclusion based on how we have traveled for all the other bowls. While the Iowa vs. NU matchup may not sound great to you it sounds fantastic to the Alamo Bowl or whomever based on how these schools historically travel. It's not based on a border war at all, just solely on how they travel. :thumbs

While the Iowa vs. NU matchup may not sound great to you it sounds fantastic to the Alamo Bowl or whomever based on how these schools historically travel. It's not based on a border war at all, just solely on how they travel. :thumbs

and to me too.

I hope it happens!! Finally Iowa/NU could meet when they are nearly equally ranked.

But Iowa needs to beat minnesota at home.

Not too likely. :(

BEAT CU!!

I still say if we send two teams from the Big XII to a BCS game that the Alamo Bowl takes us over Missouri.

The Gator Bowl official said the same thing. Besides NU's huge fanbase, they'd rather take a Husker team coming in from a three-game winning streak than a Missouri team that probably just got beat in the Big 12 title game.

YEAH why take a team with 2 more wins, 1 less loss and beat the huskers by 35 on their home field. That team would suck... <_< Besides, they didnt beat the 3 worse teams in the north in 3 straight weeks. GOSH

The reason behind picking the Husker over Missouri is not the fact that NU has beat only mediocre teams..but the fact that if we are going to a bowl....every freakin person in the state is either going to the game or going to watch it (not to mention the millions of fans around the country that bleed husker red)....

Compared to the group of missouri fans that just came out of the word work within the last two-three years....

Geez that math just doesn't add up?!?!?!

Geez i know. if only half the people in the entire state of MU watched, that would only be 2 1/2 time the entire state population of Nebraska. Silly me. :rolleyes:

And that doesnt even include all the other MU fans in the world... Math is soooooo hard

Well I guess you win the numbers game today......

:clap Winning on the internet is like winning at the special olympics....BUT I'll take it where I get it. :lol:

:corndance

My wife is a Mizzou grad. She is still trying to get used to caring about football in November. Usually at this point, a Mizzou fan is on to basketball and their annual beatdowns in hoops to the JayHawks. Bowl game? Most Mizzou fans are still trying to figure out that they alctually get to play in those!!!!! chuckleshuffle

If your wife said annual beatdowns by Kansas, she is no MU fan. MU has, for the most part, held their own against KU, especcially in Colu. So if she is atleast in her upper 20's and really if she is in her mid 30's she knows all about some of those great games. Roy couldn't buy a win at MU. Now if you said beat downs, I wont blame you, I know you husker fans are still trying to figure out how use can use the round, orange ball to run somekind of veer option. NCAA tourney?! Whats that...

:rollin

P.S. We are starting to learn about these bowl things you speak of. We have gotten 4 straight now. I am not sure what that means. But last time i went bowling and got 3 or 4 straight of something a giant turkey popped up on the scoring screen. Thanksgiving day game maybe.... :dunno

;):lol:

She didn't say KU beatdowns.....I did. And you held your own until Bill Self got there. You will be beat down by the JayHawks for a while!!!

I think you can get used to the bowl thing though!!! I think Pinkel will keep you at 6 wins a year.....

ITT fro daddy tries to talk smack about getting to a bowl game and doesn't understand the "traveling fan" concept...

Listen, or read...whatever <_<

I was NOT talking smack. There was nothing agressive or 'smack' talky about what I said. Just a different point of view.

SO...I guess i dont understand your concept. To me, a sell out is a sell out. How is MU buying 35,000 tickets for their share of tickets different from NU buying 35,000? Same hotel rooms are filled, Mu fans will eat food just like husker fans & buy things like husker fan.

So then someone said the whole state will watch. Thats fine. All I did was point out 5.8 mil. is alot more than 1.7 mil. So basically 25% of MO watching equals 100% of NU. (BTW there will be alot more than 25% watching).

SO now we point out there are husker fans everywhere. True. Same thing for MU. Think about it. You grew up near NU so you became a fan. People do the same in MO. ALot more people in the state, a lot more students per year, a lot more alumni, so on and so on. I am not going to try an claim "MU has more fans!" like some of you try to do with NU. You cant count that. THere is no way to prove or even begin to back it up. Just pointing out diffent side of things...

And Zero_Yards, that is a cool stat. I dont know where MU ticket holders live, i dont work in the University mail dept. ;) But it proves NOTHING. I will tell you why. I am a HUGE Chiefs fan. LOVE EM!!. Did you know they have season ticket holders in every single state? All 50! That is a cool stat. Infact they actually have the largest radio system in the NFL as well. Has more stations and covers more territory than any other team. Does that mean the Chief's have more fans than any other team? No they dont. I would argue that not only a few, but a decent number of teams can claim more fans.

And why is Iowa & NE so appealing. Because abunch of Omaha and CB people can have bragin' rights. If the arguement is about bording states, well then, check a map. MU can then claim games against any teams from the states of Nebraska, Iowa, Kansas, Oklahoma, Arkansas, Tennesse, Kentucky and Illinois.

If the arguement is two average teams...you got me. :lol: (just kidding guys)

The point i was making, which many of you got, some apparent not, was pretty clear. If all things are equal, I wouldn't argue a selection of NE. For one reason only, their name. You have earned that. Same thing in basketball. if NU and MU are equals and their is one spot, it should go to MU, based on Name in that sport.

HOWEVER...things are not equal. Mu is clearly the better team. They won the head to head by 35 pts on your field. They will (probably) finish with 2 more wins. They will have won the division that both teams share and they are ranked much higher. THAT my non-understanding friends is the reason I would be bothered. BUT, there is one way to end this whole conversation.....

FIESTA BOWL :koolaid2: Shock the world baby!!!! :woo I hope MU is atleast competitive, because if I freeze my A** of for hours TG'in, Drinkin' and Cheerin' for a romp..... I WILL BE PI**ED!!! lol :lol:

I hate to burst your bubble......we have sold out an 88k stadium 300 times in a row. We have a history of taking over other people's stadium....See ND in 2000......and you think Nebraska isn't a better draw that MU for a bowl? Population means nothing.....you can't even consistently fill out 60k stadium Faurot field. Yes we do have history.......AREN'T YOU REALLY MAKING OUR POINT? NOBODY travels like Nebraska.....we will take our 35,000 allotment and still have 45,000 Big Red Fans there!

When I lived in Missouri, the Southwest Missouri State Bears had a better football, baseball and basketball teams. The Bears couldn't seem to get a game against them in football. Mizzou would play them in baseball, and usually lose and in basketball it was a 50/50 toss up.

It is nice to see now that Mizzou has some football fans. I suppose all those years of learning to spell ...

M I Z ....

Z O U .... has to count for something.

SheepdogMark

When I lived in Missouri, the Southwest Missouri State Bears had a better football, baseball and basketball teams. The Bears couldn't seem to get a game against them in football. Mizzou would play them in baseball, and usually lose and in basketball it was a 50/50 toss up.

It is nice to see now that Mizzou has some football fans. I suppose all those years of learning to spell ...

M I Z ....

Z O U .... has to count for something.

SheepdogMark

:bs:

I have a pretty strong knowledge of MU sports. And if I remember correctly MU has lost to SMS once, in 99. ANd that was a pretty weak MU team. I also believe that was the year SMS made their run in the tourney. Football. YOu know your full of it. SMS hasnt hardly had a winning season in 30 yrs. The only teams that were good were 89 & 90, and certainly not good enough for you to even twist in your mind they could have beat a 1-a team . As for baseball, small schools are pretty even in this catagory, not to mention that if you go 36-26 that is a good season and gets you in the tourney. So there is probably a good chance you will lose some games along the way. I guess I'm not sure of your point here. You think SMS was better at sports than MU? That would just be stupid. I am sure I could easily find some pretty embarising losses for NU in baseball and basketball especially. What would that prove. Absoulutly NOTHING.

BTW, dont go making fun of others schools chants/cheers when your school has one that sounds like Sloth from the Goonies made it up.

"GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO BIGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGG REDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDD,

GO BIG RED", Sloth made up Nebraska cheer, now Sloth get Baby Ruth?

Untill then, keep it real sheepdog :thumbs

ITT fro daddy tries to talk smack about getting to a bowl game and doesn't understand the "traveling fan" concept...

Listen, or read...whatever <_<

I was NOT talking smack. There was nothing agressive or 'smack' talky about what I said. Just a different point of view.

SO...I guess i dont understand your concept. To me, a sell out is a sell out. How is MU buying 35,000 tickets for their share of tickets different from NU buying 35,000? Same hotel rooms are filled, Mu fans will eat food just like husker fans & buy things like husker fan.

So then someone said the whole state will watch. Thats fine. All I did was point out 5.8 mil. is alot more than 1.7 mil. So basically 25% of MO watching equals 100% of NU. (BTW there will be alot more than 25% watching).

SO now we point out there are husker fans everywhere. True. Same thing for MU. Think about it. You grew up near NU so you became a fan. People do the same in MO. ALot more people in the state, a lot more students per year, a lot more alumni, so on and so on. I am not going to try an claim "MU has more fans!" like some of you try to do with NU. You cant count that. THere is no way to prove or even begin to back it up. Just pointing out diffent side of things...

And Zero_Yards, that is a cool stat. I dont know where MU ticket holders live, i dont work in the University mail dept. ;) But it proves NOTHING. I will tell you why. I am a HUGE Chiefs fan. LOVE EM!!. Did you know they have season ticket holders in every single state? All 50! That is a cool stat. Infact they actually have the largest radio system in the NFL as well. Has more stations and covers more territory than any other team. Does that mean the Chief's have more fans than any other team? No they dont. I would argue that not only a few, but a decent number of teams can claim more fans.

And why is Iowa & NE so appealing. Because abunch of Omaha and CB people can have bragin' rights. If the arguement is about bording states, well then, check a map. MU can then claim games against any teams from the states of Nebraska, Iowa, Kansas, Oklahoma, Arkansas, Tennesse, Kentucky and Illinois.

If the arguement is two average teams...you got me. :lol: (just kidding guys)

The point i was making, which many of you got, some apparent not, was pretty clear. If all things are equal, I wouldn't argue a selection of NE. For one reason only, their name. You have earned that. Same thing in basketball. if NU and MU are equals and their is one spot, it should go to MU, based on Name in that sport.

HOWEVER...things are not equal. Mu is clearly the better team. They won the head to head by 35 pts on your field. They will (probably) finish with 2 more wins. They will have won the division that both teams share and they are ranked much higher. THAT my non-understanding friends is the reason I would be bothered. BUT, there is one way to end this whole conversation.....

FIESTA BOWL :koolaid2: Shock the world baby!!!! :woo I hope MU is atleast competitive, because if I freeze my A** of for hours TG'in, Drinkin' and Cheerin' for a romp..... I WILL BE PI**ED!!! lol :lol:

I have to give you props fro daddy. This is one of the most intelligent and well put posts I've ever had the pleasure of reading on this message board. I usually have to sift through hours of nonsense and BS before getting to a true gem like this. This is what being a college football fan is all about. Good luck to you and your team and I hope you've enjoyed the nice little run your team has had because the Huskers are back! GBR

Iowa v. NU would be a cool matchup. I'd just rather go down to Jacksonville (I think that's where the Gator bowl is) and beat up some Seminoles, or Canes. A win over the Hawks would be huge for Pelini and our guys, a win over the Canes or Seminoles would be Ginormous.

OK how about Northwestern v. Nebraska? Does that excite anyone?

(For the same reasons Nebraska could jump other teams, Ohio State will probably play in the BCS along with Penn State, moving all of the Big Ten teams up thus Iowa unavailable for the beatdown bowl.)