Turner Gill/Syracuse

Colfax

they have won 9 or more games 9 times since 1889 have on national title and 4 conference titles......

The big east was only formed in 1991! 4 conf titles in 17 years isn't too bad considering Miami and VT were in it.

so was that the only conference they were ever in? because those are the total # of titles according to the site...... and Miami and VT dropped in 01. from what I have seen turner is one of the top young coaching prospects, and the cuse have not been very good at all for 7 years now... he might very well get offered a job better then you guys

so was that the only conference they were ever in? because those are the total # of titles according to the site...... and Miami and VT dropped in 01. from what I have seen turner is one of the top young coaching prospects, and the cuse have not been very good at all for 7 years now... he might very well get offered a job better then you guys

I agree with you there. He will probably not go to Cuse because there are other, better jobs out there. My argument is people saying Syracuse is overall a crappy program. This just simply is not true.

7 years does not a program make.

And yes, that is the only conference they were in.

Turner is not too good for 'Cuse. Cuse is not too good for him. The statement about any job in the SEC or BIG 12 being better than the Syracuse job is an assinine statement. The comments being made that Syracuse is not a major program of any kind are made out of a lack of knowledge of the history of college football, and by people that are only aware of Nebraska/Big 12 and what directly relates to them (as are 90% of the comments on here - so many of the 'best fans in college football' don't know or pay attention to jack $hit if it doesn't directly apply to NU.) Syracuse sucks as of late because of the guy in charge. That's why they need a new coach.

The most important thing is the fit. Can Turner coach? It appears so. Does Syracuse need some new blood? I think that is for certain. Can Turner recruit (at least a little) in the Northeast? One would assume. Are there going to be 'MAJOR' programs beating down Turner's door??? Not necessarily. This is an opportunity and likely a fit that is going to likely happen...if he leaves at all.

Turner is not too good for 'Cuse. Cuse is not too good for him. The statement about any job in the SEC or BIG 12 being better than the Syracuse job is an assinine statement. The comments being made that Syracuse is not a major program of any kind are made out of a lack of knowledge of the history of college football, and by people that are only aware of Nebraska/Big 12 and what directly relates to them (as are 90% of the comments on here - so many of the 'best fans in college football' don't know or pay attention to jack $hit if it doesn't directly apply to NU.) Syracuse sucks as of late because of the guy in charge. That's why they need a new coach.

The most important thing is the fit. Can Turner coach? It appears so. Does Syracuse need some new blood? I think that is for certain. Can Turner recruit (at least a little) in the Northeast? One would assume. Are there going to be 'MAJOR' programs beating down Turner's door??? Not necessarily. This is an opportunity and likely a fit that is going to likely happen...if he leaves at all.

:yeah I don't get the statements that Syracuse is not in the top tier of historical programs. Ernie Davis, Jim Brown, Donovan McNabb, Dwight Freeney, Marvin Harrison, etc. They are in the top 20 in wins all time.

• 2 weeks later...

Recruiting to Syracuse has to be hard doesn't it? I assume they get the best players in the state of New York and some others from the region. But is that enough to be competitive? No way a kid from Florida of Texas would want to go their if their campus visit is in the winter. Lake effect snow, yikes!

That being said, it's still has to be a better gig than buffalo!

Recruiting to Syracuse has to be hard doesn't it? I assume they get the best players in the state of New York and some others from the region. But is that enough to be competitive? No way a kid from Florida of Texas would want to go their if their campus visit is in the winter. Lake effect snow, yikes!

That being said, it's still has to be a better gig than buffalo!

Actually, it's not hard. Syracuse pulls from PA, NJ, CT, NY, MD, FL, OH and others. 'Cuse just didn't see Rutgers and UCONN coming.

HuskerCuse, how are Syracuse's facilities and support? I agree they have a very good history, but with some ups and downs. Remember that we crushed them in 1983 when they had a team that hadn't been very good for a few years, and they came back to beat us in the carrier dome in 84 when they started rebounding.

I'm just wondering how committed they are for anyone to come in and get them back to success. Have they kept up with other programs?

HuskerCuse, how are Syracuse's facilities and support? I agree they have a very good history, but with some ups and downs. Remember that we crushed them in 1983 when they had a team that hadn't been very good for a few years, and they came back to beat us in the carrier dome in 84 when they started rebounding.

I'm just wondering how committed they are for anyone to come in and get them back to success. Have they kept up with other programs?

wow a husker fan who actually wants to know instead of forming their own opinion...

the carrier dome used to be a big draw for recruits, it's not as much anymore but still helps with recruiting because you can play your whole career inside. Plus it's an indoor practice facility in and of itself. They also have an entire field at manley field house and an entire football wing of the athletic department that donovan mcnabb built. Probably some of the best facililities in the big east. Probably not on par with the big 12 or sec... but then again, colorado's, baylor's, and kansas' facilities suck. I'm sure vanderbilt's suck in the SEC.

Reports indicate Skip Holtz Syracuse bound

by syracuse.com

Sunday December 07, 2008, 7:09 AM

East Carolina head coach Skip Holtz smiles as he hugs player Rob Kass after defeating Tulsa 27-24 in the NCAA Conference USA championship college football game in Tulsa, Okla. on Saturday.A broadcast report maintains East Carolina's Skip Holtz is heading to Syracuse to become the new coach of the Orange football team.

The Post-Standard's Donnie Webb indicates The NFL Network is reporting

Skip Holtz will be named Syracuse University's football coach on Monday.