What if Mizzou wins?

JTrain

And for people who think it should be a requirement to be a conference champ, my answer to that is that the conference championship is based on a subset of games (exception being the Big 12 this year, unable to resolve a tie within those games and resorting to the BCS rankings). The BCS championship is based on the entire season. Different criteria can give different results.

Plus, there are conferences that have multiple champions because of no conference championship game, that would put the Big 12 and SEC at a disadvantage having only one team eligible.

Yeah, sorta, except we all know that they favor the team that loses early and that appears hottest toward the end of the season.

Case in point: OKLAHOMA, surprise! OU lost earlier than TX(even though it was TO TX) and has been rolling up 60+ pts over the last 5 games or so. But who's to say that if the 2 teams played tomorrow that TX wouldn't beat them again? I mean, OU was looking pretty invincible when they went head to head the 1st time.

So, since that's rather blurry, they go to the strength of nonC schedule argument which, in this case, has some validity, but goes contrary to the whole 'who's hot now?' thing. All the while, the head to head victory by TX seems to have been lost in the discussion. They want OU right now, plain and simple. But, IMO, OU shouldn't have jumped TX in the polls last weak.

FL is similar to OU in that they lost early and look real 'sexy' right now. Most people seem to want to see an OU/FL NC matchup. So it will be extremely funny if clunky ol' Bama happens to knock off FL and MO OU.

TT would have a similar gripe as TX if they had not been blown out so badly by the Sooners late in the season.

:hookerhorns

I don't know...OU ahead of UT is consistent with the computer average, which doesn't have anything to do with recency...

Well, I guess I basically don't think a computer should be determining these types of outcomes. But that's jmo.....

Eliminating teams that don't win the conf championship is problematic.

OK how about this scenario (it's a little far fetched but stay with me), say Oregon State managed to stay undefeated in the Pac 10 thus giving them the conf champ leaving USC out of any chance of competing in the national championship. Now lets say somehow Missouri beats Oklahoma in the Big 12 champ game. So who plays in the national title game? Well the winner of the Alabama-Florida game. USC and the other Big 12 South teams would not be eligible so it would be between Penn State and Utah to play the SEC winner in the NT. Not very enticing.

Even worse, lets say that instead of losing to Iowa, Penn State had lost to Ohio State thus making tOSU conf champs. tOSU would suddenly be in play for the NT game (with Utah) even though Penn State, USC, SEC loser, Oklahoma, Big 12 south, etc. all have better BCS ratings.

I think with the conf champ upsets and the situations like USC and Oregon State its just too problematic to eliminate teams that aren't conf champs.

Of course this year Utah and USC will have a legitimate beef if Texas goes to the NT game over them, but then USC could have solved that problem by going undefeated.

Eliminating teams that don't win the conf championship is problematic.

OK how about this scenario (it's a little far fetched but stay with me), say Oregon State managed to stay undefeated in the Pac 10 thus giving them the conf champ leaving USC out of any chance of competing in the national championship. Now lets say somehow Missouri beats Oklahoma in the Big 12 champ game. So who plays in the national title game? Well the winner of the Alabama-Florida game. USC and the other Big 12 South teams would not be eligible so it would be between Penn State and Utah to play the SEC winner in the NT. Not very enticing.

Even worse, lets say that instead of losing to Iowa, Penn State had lost to Ohio State thus making tOSU conf champs. tOSU would suddenly be in play for the NT game (with Utah) even though Penn State, USC, SEC loser, Oklahoma, Big 12 south, etc. all have better BCS ratings.

I think with the conf champ upsets and the situations like USC and Oregon State its just too problematic to eliminate teams that aren't conf champs.

Of course this year Utah and USC will have a legitimate beef if Texas goes to the NT game over them, but then USC could have solved that problem by going undefeated.

Clear as mud. :lol: I'll have to reread it, but off the top of my head I will say that Utah has no legitmate gripe about anything: they play in a weak conference. Just ask Ball St.

What if Mizzou wins?

Dr. Peter Venkman:

[T]his city conference is headed for a disaster of biblical proportions!

Mayor:

What do you mean "biblical"?

Dr. Raymond Stantz:

What he means is Old Testament, Mr. Mayor. Real wrath of God type stuff! Fire and brimstone coming down from the skies! Rivers and seas boiling!

Dr. Egon Spengler:

Forty years of darkness, earthquakes, and volcanos!

Winston Zeddemore:

The dead rising from the grave!

Dr. Peter Venkman:

Human sacrifices, dogs and cats living together! Mass hysteria!

What if Mizzou wins?

Dr. Peter Venkman:

Mayor:

Dr. Raymond Stantz:

What he means is Old Testament, Mr. Mayor. Real wrath of God type stuff! Fire and brimstone coming down from the skies! Rivers and seas boiling!

Dr. Egon Spengler:

Winston Zeddemore:

Dr. Peter Venkman:

Ha!! Nice...time for me to break out the G-busters movies. It's been awhile!

What if Mizzou wins?

Dr. Peter Venkman:

Mayor:

Dr. Raymond Stantz:

Dr. Egon Spengler:

Winston Zeddemore:

Dr. Peter Venkman:

Oops - Sorry Vince, I didn't realize you did the GB already. Can I still get the 2 for the price of one deal as seen on TV?