TE Mike McNeill

Congrats MIke, good to have you on board.

How many more TE's do the Huskers take. I assume at least one, if not two because there in hard on a couple. McMichael and Konrad would round at the position.

At this time, we only have room for 2 tight ends. With Mike committing, that leaves room for 1 more. In my opinion, Konrad is a longshot. The best option at the moment seems to be 4 star Jordan McMichael from Minnesota, which i will take in a heartbeat

McNeill gives verbal commitment to UNL

By DALTON WALKER

September 07, 2005

Seven of California’s best high school football players invaded Lincoln this past weekend but it was Kirkwood, Mo. native Mike McNeill who gave the Cornhuskers a verbal commitment for fall 2006.

The 6-foot-4, 220-pound tight end said he knew before his official visit Saturday that he wanted to be a Husker for the next few years. But he wanted to come to Nebraska to make the commitment official.

McNeill, according to rivals.com, is the second best tight end in Missouri and 32nd in the nation. He is a three-star player on rivals.com’s five-star scale. No tight end on the list has more than four stars.

Larry Frost, the head football coach at Kirkwood High School, praised McNeill for his athletic ability.

“He has great athleticism,” Frost said. “But he’s got room to grow yet. I think he’s going to be bigger. He’s filling out real well. He will have no trouble carrying 245 pounds.”

McNeill said he might redshirt his first season but his on-field ability will help the Huskers whether it’s his first or second year.

“I can help out on receiving and blocking,” he said. “I can be a deep threat. I have the ability to catch the ball and move with it.”

Memorial Stadium and the fan support the Huskers receive on game day were some of the selling points McNeill said.

“A crazy crowd,” he said of the 77,000 plus fans in attendance Saturday. “I really liked the atmosphere; it was awesome. The players were going crazy.”

But what satisfied McNeill was the former professional coaching staff and the campus football facilities.

“The coaching staff is turning the program around,” he said. “It (Nebraska) felt right for me. They were my first scholarship offer.”

McNeill turned down offers from Missouri, Wisconsin, Colorado, Kansas, Indiana, and Texas Tech to join a recruiting class that has seven early commitments including wide receiver Menelik Holt, a three-star player from San Diego, who also committed to Nebraska this past weekend.

California’s highly touted outside linebacker Allen Bradford was also on campus but he did not say what his future plans were. His teammate Shareece Wright, a defensive back, was also in Lincoln.

Bradford is one of 27 five-star players. He is ranked sixth in the nation for all players and ranked first in his position.

Safety Jonas Mouton, wide receiver Anthony Houston, running back Major Culbert, and cornerback Devin Ross, all of California, were also in attendance Saturday.

McNeill might not have been the most recognized recruit Saturday, but according to Frost, he is one of the smartest he has coached.

“He has his head on his shoulders,” Frost said. “He’s smart, he runs well, pretty versatile. I asked him to narrow his decision before the season. Nebraska was his first choice.”

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

mcneil, will be a visitor for the co vs. UN game tomorrow, (as a colorado official visitor) & he will be visiting co w/ a teammate of his at kirkwood *** maclin wr (soft verbal to ou), & along w/ some names that were once on UN's target list:

banks dt *** (who had UN high early, but has now eliminated UN from his list), dean wr **** (he cancelled 2 visits to UN, & tore his acl), mitchell wr *** (who was to visit for the maine game, but hurricane katrina come to la, & he has eliminated UN, & has a visit set for lsu 12/09 - where he will probably commit)

& d hagen jr **** db (who is taking his 1st visit of the yr, & may commit to co, or may wait to see what bienemy has to say at ucla)

looks like co is beginning to recruit well, again...that does not bode well, does it?

p.s. mcneil has said that he is a safe bet to be N, come feb's signing day, so no worries (unless of course he is completely blown away by co, or watches UN get humiliated again similar to when he saw mo humiliate UN earlier this yr)

mcneil, will be a visitor for the co vs. UN game tomorrow, (as a colorado official visitor) & he will be visiting co w/ a teammate of his at kirkwood *** maclin wr (soft verbal to ou), & along w/ some names that were once on UN's target list:

banks dt *** (who had UN high early, but has now eliminated UN from his list), dean wr **** (he cancelled 2 visits to UN, & tore his acl), mitchell wr *** (who was to visit for the maine game, but hurricane katrina come to la, & he has eliminated UN, & has a visit set for lsu 12/09 - where he will probably commit)

& d hagen jr **** db (who is taking his 1st visit of the yr, & may commit to co, or may wait to see what bienemy has to say at ucla)

looks like co is beginning to recruit well, again...that does not bode well, does it?

p.s. mcneil has said that he is a safe bet to be N, come feb's signing day, so no worries (unless of course he is completely blown away by co, or watches UN get humiliated again similar to when he saw mo humiliate UN earlier this yr)

I think we got McNeil rapped up

hello, well mcneil has to feel confident that he made the right decision in verballing to UN early, & very enthusiastic about becoming a husker, especially after witnessing UN's offensive performance (& witnessing UN's growth from the maine game which he attended to the finally at cu) & the complete polar-difference b/w the cu & UN's fans

Now, I wonder if macklin (*** wr), mcneil's classmate at kirkwood, was impressed...I know that UN was not on his radar, & he is a soft verbal to ou, yet after this watching what UN can do offensively I believe he may be impressed, & mcneil may pressure him into taking a visit to UN, & macklin knowing that ou has signed last yr, & verballed this yr more high rated wr's than he, so competition & possible lack of early playing time may cause him to look a bit harder at UN.

• 2 weeks later...

Nebraska is mentioned in relation to three recruits in this article but it fits in the McNeil thread as well as any. also mentions a non-recruit whose brother apparently played with the Huskers in the "early '90s".

http://www.stltoday.com/stltoday/sports/st...2D?OpenDocument

Kirkwood wide receiver Jeremy Maclin has been committed to Oklahoma for a few months now, but he continues to look at other schools to make sure he's made the right decision. Last week, Maclin and teammate Mike McNeill, a Nebraska commitment, made an official visit to Colorado to see the Buffaloes play Nebraska.

"I just wanna make sure I'm making the right decision," Maclin said.

McNeill said his commitment to Nebraska is strong, and he accompanied Maclin on the trip so he could check out the Cornhuskers.

"They were playing Nebraska, which is the main thing," the senior tight end said. "Jeremy has been wanting to visit there, and this was a game I wanted to see."

Maclin has recently picked up a scholarship offer from Nebraska, and McNeill has talked to him about continuing both of their careers as Huskers.

"I want him to," McNeill said. "We always talk about playing together, and I'm not going to change from Nebraska."

as hootin' mentioned, Maclin is/was a soft OU commit. Scout still lists him as soft but at last check Rivals doesn't list him at all for OU. hmmm... stay tuned i guess.

as a side-note. I would also like to use this forum space to send a thank you to Gary Barnett, not only for continuing the tradition of sCUm at CU but also for inviting McNeil and Maclin to watch the Huskers dismantle your team together. Thanks Gary :thumbs

:restore2

Nebraska is mentioned in relation to three recruits in this article but it fits in the McNeil thread as well as any. also mentions a non-recruit whose brother apparently played with the Huskers in the "early '90s".

http://www.stltoday.com/stltoday/sports/st...2D?OpenDocument

Kirkwood wide receiver Jeremy Maclin has been committed to Oklahoma for a few months now, but he continues to look at other schools to make sure he's made the right decision. Last week, Maclin and teammate Mike McNeill, a Nebraska commitment, made an official visit to Colorado to see the Buffaloes play Nebraska.

"I just wanna make sure I'm making the right decision," Maclin said.

McNeill said his commitment to Nebraska is strong, and he accompanied Maclin on the trip so he could check out the Cornhuskers.

"They were playing Nebraska, which is the main thing," the senior tight end said. "Jeremy has been wanting to visit there, and this was a game I wanted to see."

Maclin has recently picked up a scholarship offer from Nebraska, and McNeill has talked to him about continuing both of their careers as Huskers.

"I want him to," McNeill said. "We always talk about playing together, and I'm not going to change from Nebraska."

as hootin' mentioned, Maclin is/was a soft OU commit. Scout still lists him as soft but at last check Rivals doesn't list him at all for OU. hmmm... stay tuned i guess.

as a side-note. I would also like to use this forum space to send a thank you to Gary Barnett, not only for continuing the tradition of sCUm at CU but also for inviting McNeil and Maclin to watch the Huskers dismantle your team together. Thanks Gary :thumbs

:restore2

I just done viewing some material and no where, anywhere does it have this WR listed as a soft commit, in fact, he's not listed anywhere as a commit.

DId I miss something?

It appears that he has no interest in the sooners at all anymore. looking at Rivals he has Texas Tech and Mizzou as high interest and nebraska at medium, and scout has him with medium interest in Mizzou, Colorado and Nebraska.

I find it hard to believe he even has interest in colorado, so i think that scout may not be completely accurate. Does anyone have any insight/speculation as to where he might be leaning now? i think this would be a good get for our staff, a big play guy would help our offense out a lot. Much like i am hoping herian will help us out next year... its hard keep tabs on so many talented recievers. the future is looking bright :woo

:yeah

Along with Alex 4.0's questions, any rumors on what chased him away from OU?

I just done viewing some material and no where, anywhere does it have this WR listed as a soft commit,

as of yesterday when i posted, the OU Scout site had him as a "Soft Verbal". I should have just waited a few hours for Scout to catch up to Rivals' info... :bang

According to another site, Maclin's offer from OU was revoked after taking other visits and not being completely honest to the OU staff about them.

About our chances, I see them as being very good. You have Freeman and McNeil who will both be in his ear. But Maclin wants to play in a spread offense where he thinks he will thrive. That's why he has TTech and Mizzou on top as of right now.