Schools of Interest: Arizona, Nebraska, ASU, USC, UCLA, Oregon, Cal

Scholarships offered: Arizona State, Arizona, Nebraska, Oregon, San Jose State

Favorites: Nebraska, Oregon, Arizona

Rankings/Stars:

Rivals: :star :star :star 5.7 #51 DT

Big Red Report: :star :star #73 DT

ESPN: 70

Assessing the talent:

Tuihalamaka on film looks to be a thickly built kid. On paper he has adequate size, but should be able to add more good bulk to help him in the trenches. He will flash good quickness off the ball, but needs to be more consistent. When he explodes on the snap he can get into a blocker and knock him back. Does a good job of using his hands and can create some separation. Does an adequate job of shedding. Not a guy that gets a lot of quick penetration, but will flash the ability to get to half-a-man and get into the gap. Is a physical player at the point of attack. Does a good job of being able to hold his ground versus single and double team blocks. Needs to watch his pad level, but displays good raw strength. He has a solid motor and will pursue to the ball. He is a solid tackler. In pass rush situations he can get some push and will flash the ability to work a quick move. Faces a lot of double teams and does a solid job of being active. More

Odds: 35% Nebraska and Arizona are first to offer.

Another Haka performer:

Performing the Haka, a Maori tradition, brings Serra's football team together

Serra is known this season for its offensive weapons as much as its 12-0 record, which it will put on the line tonight at El Segundo in the CIF Southern Section Northwest Division semifinals.

It has also become known for something that it considers as much a part of its identity as its quest for a CIF championship: the Haka, the traditional Maori dance Serra's Tongan population brings to the football team.

The tradition is going on five years and three classes at Serra. Coach Scott Altenberg got the idea from his former Bishop Montgomery High teammate, Chris Maumalanga, who played college football at Kansas and in the NFL.

Maumalanga, who is deeply involved in Tongan youth programs, suggested that Serra give it a try. Maumalanga remains passionate about directing Tongan youth to football as a better alternative to gang life, so Altenberg welcomed his former teammate's contributions to Serra's program.

Although Tongan football players performed the Haka as young Rugby players in the South Bay, partially imitating the New Zealand All Blacks rugby team, there was some resistance when the tradition was introduced to a multicultural team at Serra.

Some Serra players didn't get it at first, but over time it become part of the team's curriculum. Serra used to perform the Haka before games, but found it could be misconstrued as showing up an opponent.

Most glaringly, Serra performed the Haka as it took the field first before its playoff game at Oaks Christian last year. The field was very quiet on the home sideline and officials later relayed Oaks' displeasure to Serra coaches. Now it is confined to after the game and on the Serra sidelines.

"When we first started, everybody didn't understand," Sione Tuihalamaka said. "(People) thought it was cuss words we say to the other team. We did it when we were little (kids) for performances, then we saw other teams from other places doing it.

"We tried to bring it to Serra."

But the fact that it was foreign is what made it fit at Serra. Altenberg liked how players had to learn what it meant to make it more effective.

While watching Serra quarterback Ted Landers, who is white, do the Haka after a game at Taft earlier in the season, Tuihalamaka smiled.

"He gets all into it," Tuihalamaka said. "I think he's getting better."

"I love the diversity," Altenberg said. "It's really important for our kids to know that the world is more than the bubble they live in. Too often, they don't see anything outside of that bubble. But the world is like football; there are a lot of different kinds of people who do a lot of different things. So you look at us: a white quarterback, black kids, Hispanics, Tongans and it's a melting pot. You want your kids to be able to embrace that outlook. They say their chants, they have a good time."

The Haka, a broad term for the Maori dance that has been adopted and modified by many football teams - most notably, the University of Hawaii and at Trinity High in Euless, Texas - is as much a part of Serra's tradition as the skill players who have helped this team become one of the South Bay's most consistent winners.

They are not the first team in the South Bay to do it, but they might be the first one in recent seasons to embrace it as a full-time part of the program. Altenberg has even set aside practice time in past summer sessions so his players can learn its moves.

The team also has a Tongan Luau at the end of summer practices.

"It helps us come together as a team," Tuihalamaka said. "We don't care if you are white or black or anything. You never think a white dude would do it, you never think a black dude would do it. And then they start doing it and they get into it."

Tradition at Serra currently holds that a Tongan senior lead the Haka. Tuihalamaka, who is soft-spoken, declined and senior lineman Saia Veikoso took over. He said the dance's precision is a matter of team pride.

"If you see a team do it and not do it well, it's embarrassing for them," Veikoso said. "If our Haka looks sloppy, we look sloppy. If it looks girly, we look girly."

That's why Serra players think the Haka is more than a curiosity, but a tradition that reflects what Altenberg says he wants his team to strive to be: disciplined, cohesive, proud and aggressive, but also good citizens.

"It's part of our tradition and what we do now," Serra running back Carl Winston said.

Winston has 1,442 rushing yards and 19 touchdowns. Landers has 2,190 passing yards and 33 touchdowns. Robert Woods has 1,099 receiving yards and 16 touchdowns. Tuihalamaka is the senior line leader. Different colors who dance the same dance.

"It's a matter of tradition and pride for all our communities," Veikoso said.

Eventually this Poly connection is going to bear fruit.

Laying the foundation for future years?

Football recruiters will flock to Serra High

There's no need to inspect the expense accounts of USC Coach Pete Carroll or UCLA Coach Rick Neuheisel to figure out the epicenter of their recruiting battle over the next two years.

They'll be hanging out at Gardena Serra.

With apologies to Long Beach Poly, Westlake Village Oaks Christian and Mission Viejo, Serra is the school with a group of skill-position players who rank as can't-miss college prospects.

On Friday night, the unbeaten Cavaliers (5-0), ranked No. 23 by The Times, showed off the best junior defensive back-receiver on the West Coast in Robert Woods.

All Woods did in a 49-13 rout of Woodland Hills Taft was catch a 15-yard touchdown pass, return an interception 45 yards for a touchdown, return a punt 70 yards for a touchdown, make another interception and recover a fumble.

Serra Coach Scott Altenberg said he has at least eight "definite" college prospects, and the two drawing the most attention are Woods and sophomore receiver George Farmer. Both have scholarship offers from USC and UCLA.

Serra's four "slam-dunk" senior college prospects aren't bad either. Safety Anthony Carpenter has scholarship offers from Nebraska, Washington State and Oregon State. Quarterback Ted Landers is 6-5 and improving. Defensive lineman Sione Tuihalamaka is 6-3, 275 pounds and "is having an unbelievable year," according to Altenberg.

From ESPN recruiting blog:

Tuihalamaka nabs first two offers

For defensive lineman Sione Tuihalamaka (Gardena, Calif./Serra), the lack of scholarship offers never had anything to do with his talent or upside. The issue was always academics but the lineman has shown enough progress to pick up his first two scholarship offers.

Tuihalamaka is easily among the top defensive tackle prospects in the state. He earned DL MVP honors at the NIKE Camp at USC last April and has had a big senior season with 75 tackles and 12 sacks.

"Everyone loved him and was just waiting on his grades," Serra assistant coach Chuck Kimbell said. "Nebraska and Arizona State have both offered and there could be a handful of others who will offer as well.

"Sione has had an incredible season and has dominated the line of scrimmage all year for us. He's just so strong and has such a great motor, he's definitely an impact player in college."

Staying with the Serra theme, how's this for a stat line. Junior wideout Robert Woods caught 17 balls for 183 yards and a touchdown and added an interception to help the Cavs top El Segundo (Calif.) last Friday.

Serra will now take on state power Oaks Christian (Westlake Village, Calif.) in the Division X championship game in what should be one of the best games of the weekend.

Or he visited Arizona:

Touted DT visits Arizona

Thursday, December 18, 2008 | Print Entry

Posted by Greg Biggins

A few days ago, we talked with Serra (Gardena, Calif.) head coach Scott Altenberg about his standout defensive tackle Sione Tuihalamaka. We caught up Tuihalamaka to discuss his upcoming visits as well as a visit he took last weekend.

Tuihalamaka is one of the top defensive tackles in the West this year. He earned NIKE Camp DL MVP honors at the camp at USC and helped lead Serra to an undefeated regular season and a berth in the CIF Northwest championship game.

Tuihalamaka took his first official visit to Arizona last weekend and the Cats are looking very good at this time.

"I loved it there, it felt like home," Tuihalamaka said. "It was cool to see my brother Apai who I'm real close with. He was my host and he showed me a real nice time there.

"They have a lot of Poly (Polynesian) players on the team and I felt real comfortable. I love the coaching staff and I'm pretty close with Mike Tuiasosopo. Coach Tui recruited my brother so I've known him for a couple of years and he would be my position coach as well."

As good as the visit was, Tuihalamaka said he never gave much thought to committing as he wants to take all five of his visits before making his commitment.

"I want to see some new places and experience this whole process," Tuihalamaka said. "Before the Arizona trip, I had never been out of California before. So I want to take these visits to see what's out there and just enjoy myself.

"I have Colorado this weekend, Nebraska (Jan. 16), San Jose State (Jan. 23) and Oregon (Jan. 30). I've had home visits with San Jose State and Arizona and I'm sure the other schools will come in as well."

Will be tough to beat Arizona for him:

Tuihalamaka re-schedules Cal visit

Serra (Gardena, Calif.) defensive tackle Sione Tuihalamaka was expected to visit Cal this weekend but he postponed the trip until January.

Tuihalamaka has already visited Arizona and said he will now visit Cal on (Jan. 9).

"I was going to visit this weekend but I decided to go to Las Vegas to watch my brother (Apai) play. He's at Arizona and they were playing in the Las Vegas Bowl. That was a lot of fun, they looked really good and beat a pretty good BYU team.

"So now my January is going to be jam packed with visits. I have that Cal visit, then I have Nebraska (Jan. 16), San Jose State (Jan 23) and Oregon (Jan. 30). It's going to be crazy and busy, but a lot of fun. I really can't wait because these trips are so much fun."

• 3 weeks later...