DT Sione Tuihalamaka

Ohio Pete

Arizona picks up elite DT

Thursday, January 22, 2009

Posted by Greg Biggins

Arizona picked up a big commitment from one of the elite defensive tackles in the West. (Gardena, Calif./ Serra) defensive tackle Sione Tuihalamaka chose the Wildcats after visiting Nebraska last weekend.

Tuihalamaka was the DL MVP at the SoCal NIKE Camp last April and had a big senior season. Academic concerns held back his recruitment early on in the year but the lineman made enough progress in the classroom to see his list of offers rise significantly.

The tackle had a great visit to Nebraska last weekend but said Arizona was still the team to beat. He was going to take one last visit to Oregon (Jan. 30) but decided to end the process earlier today.

"I always knew I was going to Arizona," Tuihalamaka said. "I just wanted to take some trips, have some fun and see a different part of the country. I'm taking the SAT this weekend and I decided I didn't want to wait any more so I went and committed.

"My brother (Apaiata) being there was a big reason. Plus I'm really close with the coaching staff and especially Coach Tuiasosopo, who will be my position coach. Arizona is like a second home for me and that's what I was looking for. It's a place where I know I'll be comfortable and taken care for the next four or five years so I'm exciting."

Thanks for letting us know.