Class of 2004

macroboy

How many times has Ganz saved our bacon this year though...yeah he has a habit of throwing pick sixes, but he has been the backbone of the offense IMHO, along with Swift (who Ganz threw the ball to, btw) and Helu. The O-line was also responsible for not giving the protection he needed, especially the first part of the season, when they just really sucked. So It isn't all Ganz's fault when it came to throwing some of those, and there was 10 other guys on the field that might have tackled the guy before he scored. Look at the Ganz's numbers for the season, he is one of the better QB's we have had...not the best by far, but the best we have had also played more than a season and a little part another.

I think Ganz has more than done his part. We would not be going to a bowl possibly without him...but who really knows, that would be total speculation on my part, just as it would be speculation to say that Lee or Witt would have done any better or worse.

Be happy...we are going to a bowl game, which in all honesty at the first of the season I kind of wondered if we would win 6 games after last season.

I remember Keenan, he was a huge 'get' at the time. Originally committed to Solich, then stayed on for Callahan. Best player in Kansas City, think he had four stars, going to be a stud at linebacker. Left after or into his first year. Muy was a big/late coo for Callahan too right? Out of Florida? Also made it just a year.

I think we've all learned that rankings don't necessarily directly translate to results. Who wants to start the thread about the 2005 class?

edit - D'oh!

I remember Keenan, he was a huge 'get' at the time. Originally committed to Solich, then stayed on for Callihan. Best player in Kansas City, think he had four stars, going to be a stud at linebacker. Left after or into his first year. Muy was a big/late coo for Callahan too right? Out of Florida? Also made it just a year.

I think we've all learned that rankings don't necessarily directly translate to results. Who wants to start the thread about the 2005 class?

Some of the walk ons that we have had have panned out a lot better than the ranked players that we went after and got. Seems like they have more heart a lot of times than the guys that just have all the natural talent in to world and think it is going to be easy. How many times have we gotten a "stud" QB and then have him sit the bench for 5 years and never produce or transfer out because he realizes that there are other QB's that have more talent than he does on the roster or is being recruited?

This is one reason when someone threatens to transfer or does transfer I say let them go. What it says to me is they themselves are not convinced that they are any better than some of their competition for playing time, and they are not 100% committed to the program. I have a lot of respect for guys like Lee that come in and may never see playing time, but they keep their mouth shut and are good soldiers.

The reason Ganz throws so many pick sixes is because of the style of the offense. We throw tons of passes to the flats in single side coverages and when those get picked there's not many guys there who are fast enough to tackle a cornerback. Also if you notice, other than the Texas Tech game MOST of his interceptions come in our own territory. It's not like they are taking an INT 70 yards down the field. It's more like 15-30 yards.

The reason Ganz throws so many pick sixes is because of the style of the offense. We throw tons of passes to the flats in single side coverages and when those get picked there's not many guys there who are fast enough to tackle a cornerback. Also if you notice, other than the Texas Tech game MOST of his interceptions come in our own territory. It's not like they are taking an INT 70 yards down the field. It's more like 15-30 yards.

Well, he just kinda floats those short ones out there, easy to pick, plus he's not as accurate on 5-10 yd crossing routes over the middle.

He's a helluva QB for a 1st yr starter though. Plays like a veteran.

The complete lack of a running game the first half of the season may have had something to do with that. DBs could sit on routes because they didn't have to honor the run game. His arm strength is definately questionable, he doesn't possess the ability to throw the deep out, deep fade, or the 10 yard out across the field. Which is what you said, in a nutshell. There isn't an easier pick to take to the house than jumping a sideline out route.

i love joey, hes done a ton for us. but the guy is a proven choke artist. i dont know what it is, but its almost like his brain locks up at times. i know hes smarter than some of those plays hes made, but man, he just really scares me sometimes.

I wouldn't say he's a choke artist, he's made a ton of great plays. Just some rookie mistakes here and there.

i consider a "choke artist" someone who does something completely out of character in a pressure situation. see t tech and colorado games to start. i mean, when have we seen joey make a play like either of those anywhere else this season? a 15 yard sack? a scramblin floatin freebie? these plays defy all common ganz awesomeness. its not who he normally is, but yet he did it, and does it at the worst times. choke artist. <----period

i consider a "choke artist" someone who does something completely out of character in a pressure situation. see t tech and colorado games to start. i mean, when have we seen joey make a play like either of those anywhere else this season? a 15 yard sack? a scramblin floatin freebie? these plays defy all common ganz awesomeness. its not who he normally is, but yet he did it, and does it at the worst times. choke artist. <----period

Most QBs make some bonehead plays from time to time. Joey sometimes tries to make plays that aren't there which is due to relative inexperience as a starter. If he was a 3rd yr starter he wouldn't be taking some of those sacks, etc.

His main problem is lack a relative lack of arm strength, as mentioned above.

Most QBs make some bonehead plays from time to time. Joey sometimes tries to make plays that aren't there which is due to relative inexperience as a starter. If he was a 3rd yr starter he wouldn't be taking some of those sacks, etc.

:yeah Everyone forgets that this was his first full season as a starting QB...and it also seems that there are some people that forget all the good plays he came up with. But then there are those that are looking for the negative no matter who it is, or what they do. Callahan's Curse...looking for the worst in players or coaches, and pointing fingers.

:yeah Everyone forgets that this was his first full season as a starting QB...and it also seems that there are some people that forget all the good plays he came up with. But then there are those that are looking for the negative no matter who it is, or what they do. Callahan's Curse...looking for the worst in players or coaches, and pointing fingers.

People are always more critical of their own. People fail to mention that Joey drove us down the field for a score in the last 1.5 minutes of the TT game to get it to OT in the 1st place. And the CU game, got us down the field. He outplayed Reesing and Freeman in those games. I don't think the pick in the VT game was for 6 as I recall.

The guy's a very good QB.

Look at the 3-4 major f-ups Daniel had vs KU and he's like in his 12th yr as a starter.

if you read my posts in their entirety, you will notice that I LOVE JOEY GANZ! i just choose not to coddle him, and call a spade a spade. my point is that he doesnt take sacks like that, and while he throws picks, they arent the floatin, trying too hard, doh boneheaded kind like he threw up on ttech with. you make a great point, its his first full year as a starter. in that one year hes made enough questionable decisions in pressure situations to lead me to be very wary if we're in a tight game with Clemson. like, close my eyes and peek out of two fingers every time he takes a snap. maybe its the fact it is his only year, but mentally hes just trying too hard or something in those tight spots. he scares me. hes a classic overachiever. he'll probably make a great coach. i love him to death for his passion and work ethic, but lets face it. hes no sam bradford or colt mccoy.

if you read my posts in their entirety, you will notice that I LOVE JOEY GANZ! i just choose not to coddle him, and call a spade a spade. my point is that he doesnt take sacks like that, and while he throws picks, they arent the floatin, trying too hard, doh boneheaded kind like he threw up on ttech with. you make a great point, its his first full year as a starter. in that one year hes made enough questionable decisions in pressure situations to lead me to be very wary if we're in a tight game with Clemson. like, close my eyes and peek out of two fingers every time he takes a snap. maybe its the fact it is his only year, but mentally hes just trying too hard or something in those tight spots. he scares me. hes a classic overachiever. he'll probably make a great coach. i love him to death for his passion and work ethic, but lets face it. hes no sam bradford or colt mccoy.

I just wouldn't call him a 'choke artist' is all. He's far from that. In the Clemson game, we have the QB edge as far as I can tell.