Defenses better than they appear

I don't know about you guys but I'm getting sick of all the media saying the Big 12 teams have no defenses and that is why some of the teams will lose their bowl games. What makes the SEC defenses so much better? I know, they don't have to play the offenses of Texas, Mizzouri, Oklahoma, and Texas Tech (just to name a few) every week. All they are doing is looking at are the stats which I pay a lot of attention to also, but this time they're wrong. Why don't these guys understand that? :bang

I don't know about you guys but I'm getting sick of all the media saying the Big 12 teams have no defenses and that is why some of the teams will lose their bowl games. What makes the SEC defenses so much better? I know, they don't have to play the offenses of Texas, Mizzouri, Oklahoma, and Texas Tech (just to name a few) every week. All they are doing is looking at are the stats which I pay a lot of attention to also, but this time they're wrong. Why don't these guys understand that? :bang

Heck, you should try living down here in Alabama listening to the SEC homerism. I've already gotten into arguments with my mother in law about the NC game...they seem incapable of listening to reason. Its "SEC is great, everyone else is terrible"...holy moly!! You wanna talk about banging your head against the wall!!!!!!

Go Big Red!!

1995 NU played 4 ranked teams, including 3 top 10 teams in conference, and still managed to have a top 15 defense! The Big 12 had pathetic defenses! Great defenses shut down these passing offenses, what makes these any different than 95 Florida's offense, 94/95 Colorado, 97 Tennessee... Offense can be shut down by defenses, especially with 40 days of prep! USC played some high powered offenses in the PAC 10, from Arizona and Oregon and shut both of them down! The UT defense folks are trying to hype their #50 defense to justify paying Muschamp 900K, when they were 52nd in defense in 07!, but they didn't stop OU. OU had 35 points through 21/2 quarters until their defensive colapse after Reynolds went out.

It's not like the Big 12 teams are playing stellar defense this year and no one is noticing. OU gave up a ton of points this year.

They're going to give up a ton of points to Florida.

UT was no good on defense! I am ALWAYS tipped off to closet UT fans on this board because they ALWAYS try and diss OU and hype UT!

It's not like the Big 12 teams are playing stellar defense this year and no one is noticing. OU gave up a ton of points this year.

UT was no good on defense! I am ALWAYS tipped off to closet UT fans on this board because they ALWAYS try and diss OU and hype UT!

I'm not trying to hype UT, I'm an NU fan. I'm in Lincoln. I was born in Lincoln. I just don't see a good reason to think that OU is going to make a game of it. Sure, their offense is great but I think overall Florida is better. The only game that I watched where OU was impressive on defense was the TX Tech game (and they were awesome), the rest of the time they were pretty average.

Not drinking some magic Kool-aid that makes me predict another national title for Bob Stoops doesn't make me a UT fan. I'm not sure if OU is better than UT, they could probably play that game again 10 times and split the series evenly. Tough call.

I'm not trying to hype UT, I'm an NU fan. I'm in Lincoln. I was born in Lincoln. I just don't see a good reason to think that OU is going to make a game of it. Sure, their offense is great but I think overall Florida is better. The only game that I watched where OU was impressive on defense was the TX Tech game (and they were awesome), the rest of the time they were pretty average.

Not drinking some magic Kool-aid that makes me predict another national title for Bob Stoops doesn't make me a UT fan. I'm not sure if OU is better than UT, they could probably play that game again 10 times and split the series evenly. Tough call.

UT has power and influence, especially with the refs, since 2 big ones live in Austin. No one can recall UT losing any challenges or losing a game because of bad ref calls. The refs are ALWAYS in UT's court! McCoy rushed for 560 or so yards, with none of it coming against OU, Colorado, Missouri, Tech or OSU! He got his yards vs FAU, UTEP and RICE. The only conference teams he ran on was Kansas for 78 and AtM for 49. UT's offense was not explosive, they were ball control, dinks and dumps, like spread, both Daniel and McCoy broke the completion % record, with 77 and 74 %. Harrell also had a 70% completion % and so did Reesing if I recall. I am a native Austinite and a UT grad, and i get to hear radio shows where callers say that Brown doesn't run up the score, but Colt played 118 4th quarter minutes to Bradford's 38 in 12 games. UT was struggleing with AtM for 3 quarters at home, before padding the score in the 4th to put up 49. OU scored 55 in the first half vs KSU, 58 total, 38 vs AtM in College Station and 66 total, 42 vs Nu and 62 total, 42 vs Tech and 65 total... Their offense is explosive and the best in college ball! Ricky Williams was getting 40 carries vs Rice to pad his stats, but Brown doesn't run up score, yet the UT backup has developed no skills in two years behind Colt because he always gets in late!

When the hell did he say anything hyping UT? And yeah I bet there are a bunch of "closet" longhorn fans on here :sarcasm

Okay, here is my take on the situation.

I have mentioned this in another thread, but why does everyone think Florida has such a great defense? What is this based off of? The fact that they shut down Tennessee's offense down (115th in total offense; 110th in scoring offense)? Or maybe it was the D against Vanderbilt (117th in total offense; 104th in scoring offense). The best offense Florida faced all year long was Georgia, which comes in 21st in total offense and 29th in scoring offense.

In comparison, the Big 12 has five teams in the top ten for total AND scoring offense (Oklahoma, Texas Tech, Missouri, Oklahoma State, and Texas). Fifty percent of the top ten offenses are from the Big 12. That's not including the other five teams that are ranked tenth to 25th in total and scoring offense. Now that's a high power offensive conference.

And you can say that the offenses in the Big 12 are so good because the defenses are so bad, but if you say that, you have to say that the defenses in the SEC are so good because the offenses are so bad. I am tired of hearing people belittle the Big 12 defenses, but then say nothing about how bad the SEC offenses are. As far as the Big 12 is concerned, I feel it is a little bit of each, but leaning more towards the fact that the Big 12 just has great offensive teams in it (great QBs, great WRs, great schemes attribute to this).

We will see just how good the SEC defenses are against two of the top Big 12 offenses (Cotton Bowl and BCS Championship).

Okay, here is my take on the situation.

I have mentioned this in another thread, but why does everyone think Florida has such a great defense? What is this based off of? The fact that they shut down Tennessee's offense down (115th in total offense; 110th in scoring offense)? Or maybe it was the D against Vanderbilt (117th in total offense; 104th in scoring offense). The best offense Florida faced all year long was Georgia, which comes in 21st in total offense and 29th in scoring offense.

In comparison, the Big 12 has five teams in the top ten for total AND scoring offense (Oklahoma, Texas Tech, Missouri, Oklahoma State, and Texas). Fifty percent of the top ten offenses are from the Big 12. That's not including the other five teams that are ranked tenth to 25th in total and scoring offense. Now that's a high power offensive conference.

And you can say that the offenses in the Big 12 are so good because the defenses are so bad, but if you say that, you have to say that the defenses in the SEC are so good because the offenses are so bad. I am tired of hearing people belittle the Big 12 defenses, but then say nothing about how bad the SEC offenses are. As far as the Big 12 is concerned, I feel it is a little bit of each, but leaning more towards the fact that the Big 12 just has great offensive teams in it (great QBs, great WRs, great schemes attribute to this).

We will see just how good the SEC defenses are against two of the top Big 12 offenses (Cotton Bowl and BCS Championship).

I'm not saying that the SEC is setting the world on fire either, just that if I were an OU fan I'd be a bit (or a lot) concerned heading into the NC game. I certainly wouldn't bet money on them.

Why is that, the only qb's they have in the league is Fla and Ole miss? The sooners played a good TCU defense and did fine against them! We hear the SEC hype every year and this year they are exceptionally down. I think this is just like the hype that surrounded the 95 year, even though florida has played the best out of conference schedule for their league, but don't fool yourself. Same sorry Miami, Fla st. flops every year against them and not any SEC offense can put up points

Heck, you should try living down here in Alabama listening to the SEC homerism. I've already gotten into arguments with my mother in law about the NC game...they seem incapable of listening to reason. Its "SEC is great, everyone else is terrible"...holy moly!! You wanna talk about banging your head against the wall!!!!!!

Go Big Red!!

I hope for your sake OU does beat Florida, or it's going to be an awful long winter for you.