Pete Carroll pissed about Sanchez's decision?

link

Is Carroll angry that Sanchez opted for NFL draft?

January 15, 2009 4:07 PM

Posted by ESPN.com's Ted Miller

USC coach Pete Carroll said he tried to talk quarterback Mark Sanchez out of forgoing his senior season and entering the NFL draft.

"Mark is going against the grain and he knows that," Carroll said in the AP story. "And he's OK about that."

But is Carroll OK with it?

Here's the LA Daily News Scott Wolf's take on his blog from Thursday's news conference:

USC coach Pete Carroll was extremely ungracious during the Mark Sanchez press conference. He stormed out of the room and did not even sit at the table before Sanchez addressed the media. Something he never did when Matt Leinart, etc., announced their decisions.

Carroll never sat down at the table but stood with his palms on the table. His anger was clear if you spend time around him.

Not a great moment.

Wolf also added this:

There's quite a bit of anger being expressed within the athletic dept. at the highest levels right now regarding Mark Sanchez's departure.

I'm getting the feeling Mark Sanchez will not be honored at any functions in the near future.

And this:

Considering Pete Carroll's demeanor and actions at Mark Sanchez's press conference, I'm wondering what he will tell NFL teams when they call about Sanchez. Because he plays quarterback it might not matter, but one has to think Carroll will give an unvarnished opinion now that Sanchez left without his seal of approval.

Any idea where he is projected to be drafted?

Today on ESPN they were saying he could be the number one AB taken in this years draft and that right now it's a toss up between him and Stafford to be the first QB selected.

I reference to Carroll's attitude, I wonder if it's because he isn't confident or comfortable with any of Sanchez's back-ups.

Maybe Carroll doesn't feel he's ready for the NFL? :dunno

OKC, he's projected to be the first QB taken...somehow.

That's nuts. He's the most inconsistent quarterback USC has had since Carroll took over. One good Rose Bowl performance and he's a first-rounder.

facepalm.gif

I think he's head and shoulders above JD Booty, still believe Sanchez should have started over him. I think that Sarkisian's departure paved the way for Sanchez' desicion, and I think that may burn Carroll most of all.

Couple that with the fact that he is stuck with two freshman QB's next year (Granted, they are 5 star blue chippers from Santa Ana, prime QB locale) and Mustain from Arkansas next year, all of a sudden his offense (without their guru) is pretty well crippled.

Listening to the radio yesterday they said Carroll wanted him to develop more, work on his weak spots, and get some more experience under his belt. He's only started 16 games and PC told him the NFL kinda frowns on that a little bit. I think he's pissed because, he gave him solid advice, and Sanchez just threw it away (basically sh#t on it) without any thought.

Listening to the radio yesterday they said Carroll wanted him to develop more, work on his weak spots, and get some more experience under his belt. He's only started 16 games and PC told him the NFL kinda frowns on that a little bit. I think he's pissed because, he gave him solid advice, and Sanchez just threw it away (basically sh#t on it) without any thought.

You really think Sanchez made this decision without any thought? If you do, I would say you're nuts.

I can honestly see Sanchez struggling in the NFL. I don't think he is far enough along to leave, but I dont blame him for going. He needs a solid QB coach in the pros or he will struggle.

Think about it though....leave now and be the #2 in a weak QB draft class. Or compete with McCoy, Tebow, and possibly Bradford (who still has 2 years of eligibility i believe). Being the 4th QB taken would be a huge hit in the pocketbook from the 2 spot. Like I said, I don't blame the guy.

You really think Sanchez made this decision without any thought? If you do, I would say you're nuts.

Let me clarify, I was referring to PC's advice. I know he had to weigh his options, think about it long and hard before making his decision. I don't blame him for declaring, just saying that I can see both sides.