Nebraska vs. KU 2009

jayhawk

Who will win and under what circumstances  

124 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Just a general comment on a thread that has been very interesting. I think KU has made progress and will do well next year. Their offense will be good although I like others think it will be a tall order to have 3 new starters in the center of the line. It was the center of the line that our coaches identified as Clemson's weekness and everyone saw what our D-line was able to do.

I decided to look at the last 2 years.

------------------------ku 07-----------ku 08------------nu 07----------nu 08

off. yards/gm--------4th 480yds-----7th 432yds-----5th 468yds-----6th 457yds

scoring offense------1st 43/gm------8th 33/gm------8th 33/gm------6th 35/gm

def yards/gm--------1st 317yds-----7th 397yds-----12th 477yds----2nd 350 yds

scoring deffense-----1st 16/gm-----7th 29/gm------12th 38/gm-----6th 29/gm

TO Margin------------1.62------------.23--------------(-1.42)----------(-.85)

In every case you will see how KU has slipped while NU has generally improved. KU fans are basing 09 success on their offense while NU fans are talking about their defense. I think KU is saying that their O is going to be just as good while NU is saying we are going to be better on D. I agree.

Now it appears to me that KU 07's success was more a result of great defense. I think a good defense will trump a good offense. I think the KU offense ave of 43 a game was a direct result of their defense and that plus 1.62 TO margin. If I remember right Special teams and TD's off of INT's also help them quite a bit.

I think replacing 3 multi year starters at LB will be very difficult for KU while NU is actually in a situation where several returning starters are going to have to step it up in order to keep their position.

I go with the defense here so I go with the Big Red

:yeah:thumbs

Just a general comment on a thread that has been very interesting. I think KU has made progress and will do well next year. Their offense will be good although I like others think it will be a tall order to have 3 new starters in the center of the line. It was the center of the line that our coaches identified as Clemson's weekness and everyone saw what our D-line was able to do.

I decided to look at the last 2 years.

------------------------ku 07-----------ku 08------------nu 07----------nu 08

off. yards/gm--------4th 480yds-----7th 432yds-----5th 468yds-----6th 457yds

scoring offense------1st 43/gm------8th 33/gm------8th 33/gm------6th 35/gm

def yards/gm--------1st 317yds-----7th 397yds-----12th 477yds----2nd 350 yds

scoring deffense-----1st 16/gm-----7th 29/gm------12th 38/gm-----6th 29/gm

TO Margin------------1.62------------.23--------------(-1.42)----------(-.85)

In every case you will see how KU has slipped while NU has generally improved. KU fans are basing 09 success on their offense while NU fans are talking about their defense. I think KU is saying that their O is going to be just as good while NU is saying we are going to be better on D. I agree.

Now it appears to me that KU 07's success was more a result of great defense. I think a good defense will trump a good offense. I think the KU offense ave of 43 a game was a direct result of their defense and that plus 1.62 TO margin. If I remember right Special teams and TD's off of INT's also help them quite a bit.

I think replacing 3 multi year starters at LB will be very difficult for KU while NU is actually in a situation where several returning starters are going to have to step it up in order to keep their position.

I go with the defense here so I go with the Big Red

:yeah:thumbs

I may not be the first to say this but "Defense wins Championships" :worship

Now The Blackshirts appear to be getting stronger in all areas while KU is going to have to rebuild their D.

I will say this, Kansas does have a good recruiting class this year. The month of January has been good for them, they just picked up their 4th 4 star today, and he is an Ohio State decommit.

We did get weaker on Defense and offense last year, and we will recover some back. Remember these 3 changes

Play OU, drop Okie State (Loss to what was a win)

Play UT, drop A&M (Loss to what was a win)

Play Texas Tech, drop Baylor (Loss to what was a win)

Our team did lose some ground with some key talents leaving and being replaced by Freshamn, whihc is not really happening as much this year, but those schedule changes hurt our stats too. Not disagreeing our team was not as good, but our talent depth got better. Freshman just do not run right out and make an impact most of the time. It will get better again, for another year Mangino is delivering a little bit better team in projected overall talent, and we know he can coach up, and that will pay in the long run assuming the big man is healthy and our coach.

I will say this, Kansas does have a good recruiting class this year. The month of January has been good for them, they just picked up their 4th 4 star today, and he is an Ohio State decommit.

We did get weaker on Defense and offense last year, and we will recover some back. Remember these 3 changes

Our team did lose some ground with some key talents leaving and being replaced by Freshamn, whihc is not really happening as much this year, but those schedule changes hurt our stats too. Not disagreeing our team was not as good, but our talent depth got better. Freshman just do not run right out and make an impact most of the time. It will get better again, for another year Mangino is delivering a little bit better team in projected overall talent, and we know he can coach up, and that will pay in the long run assuming the big man is healthy and our coach.

Healthy? - I'm assuming you're referring to having a pulse because I'm sure anyone (except maybe Hurly from Lost) would consider him unhealthy. I've heard the McDonalds business w/in a 100 mile radius of the KU campus is hitting record sales. I don't mean to make fun of your coach but darn he makes it so easy.

Healthy? - I'm assuming you're referring to having a pulse because I'm sure anyone (except maybe Hurly from Lost) would consider him unhealthy. I've heard the McDonalds business w/in a 100 mile radius of the KU campus is hitting record sales. I don't mean to make fun of your coach but darn he makes it so easy.

I mean he is still able to coach, that his health does not debilitate him or worse. I know people do make fun of him, but he is not that old and I hope he fixes his health issue before it kills are very seriously damages him. I am not making even the slightest light of it. The biggest problem we have in America, BY FAR, is weight. People in this country have bad diets, and the average person is mildy overwieght.

About 18 months ago I was 6"8", 304 pounds. Now Im' still 6'8", but only about 247. Lost most of it in 5 months, and it has not come back. Did not do any exercise, I just pretty much stopped eating sugar, refined flour and super high carb items as regular parts of my diet. It is an easy diet to stay on. I did it because I wanted to see my 4 kids grow up, and hopefully my grandkids too. Mangino isn't gonna have a lot of quality time with his grandkids if he does not do something likewise. You do not meet many old people who are overweight, and that is not a coincidence.

Sorry to go so off topic, but weight is caused by an addiction and it makes me sad to see people die from it.

About 18 months ago I was 6"8", 304 pounds. Now Im' still 6'8", but only about 247. Lost most of it in 5 months, and it has not come back. Did not do any exercise, I just pretty much stopped eating sugar, refined flour and super high carb items as regular parts of my diet. It is an easy diet to stay on. I did it because I wanted to see my 4 kids grow up, and hopefully my grandkids too. Mangino isn't gonna have a lot of quality time with his grandkids if he does not do something likewise. You do not meet many old people who are overweight, and that is not a coincidence.

Sorry to go so off topic, but weight is caused by an addiction and it makes me sad to see people die from it.

Congratulations on your weight loss.