Sadler should be Big XII Coach of the Year

There have been a lot of negative comments on the board about the basketball team this year. But look at the facts:

Nebraska is the smallest Division I basketball team. In the country. Period. Usually has no player on the floor taller than 6'5". Most teams' guards are taller than that. Pretty tough to post up a 6'11" player when you're 6'4"...

Nebraska is one of the best, if not the best, defensive teams in the country. Playing good defense takes far better coaching, much better conditioning, way more heart and far more belief in your teammates and the system than merely trying to outshoot and outrun an opponent...

Sadler has taken (sorry, guys!) a bunch of average players with very average talent and made them into a team that has a chance to beat anyone. A couple of points or a break or two (like the foul called in a 1-point Kansas game; technically a foul but occurs almost every time down the court) and they have several more wins. This team under another coach (say, Collier) is getting run out of the gym.

I live in Kansas, and the fans here (who know their basketball) love Sadler. They root for Nebraska all of the time, because they are a TEAM.

Anyone who is "through" with Sadler and Nebraska if they lose more games is a lousy fan and knows nothing about basketball.

:bang

Yeah sadler is a great soach :)

But it is his choice not to play anyone over 6'4 or 6'5. There are plenty of big guys on the team but I like his strategy of playing smaller and faster players. I don't think that he deserves Big 12 coach of the year honors yet. Once he starts winniging the big games and finds ways to keep the lead at the end then he should get it. :thumbs

But it is his choice not to play anyone over 6'4 or 6'5. There are plenty of big guys on the team but I like his strategy of playing smaller and faster players. I don't think that he deserves Big 12 coach of the year honors yet. Once he starts winniging the big games and finds ways to keep the lead at the end then he should get it. :thumbs

It's not his choice how about blameing somone at the U because some of these guys had trouble getting cleared to be here. Thats what I'm worried about.

I think everyone can agree that doc is putting the building blocks together for a great program however it is frustrating to watch the team keep loosing close games. The size is a factor and Doc has done a great job of using our speed to our advantage but untill we can win the close games he is going to catch some criticism.

There have been a lot of negative comments on the board about the basketball team this year. But look at the facts:

Nebraska is the smallest Division I basketball team. In the country. Period. Usually has no player on the floor taller than 6'5". Most teams' guards are taller than that. Pretty tough to post up a 6'11" player when you're 6'4"...

Nebraska is one of the best, if not the best, defensive teams in the country. Playing good defense takes far better coaching, much better conditioning, way more heart and far more belief in your teammates and the system than merely trying to outshoot and outrun an opponent...

Sadler has taken (sorry, guys!) a bunch of average players with very average talent and made them into a team that has a chance to beat anyone. A couple of points or a break or two (like the foul called in a 1-point Kansas game; technically a foul but occurs almost every time down the court) and they have several more wins. This team under another coach (say, Collier) is getting run out of the gym.

I live in Kansas, and the fans here (who know their basketball) love Sadler. They root for Nebraska all of the time, because they are a TEAM.

Anyone who is "through" with Sadler and Nebraska if they lose more games is a lousy fan and knows nothing about basketball.

:bang

I think I was the only one who said I was through with them if they lost to either TT or Cu, but I retracted my statements. I wrote it after another close loss, and was just pissed. I love Doc, and I'm it it for the long haul. I may however, not watch the games until the last 2 minutes, as I just get to damn nervous, and we seem to always be in it until the end.

Coach Doc is the real deal, and I hope he stays for a long time.

I love Doc and I think if given the opportunity he will make the Huskers a successful program that all can be proud of. The Huskers don't play a beautiful brand of basketball by traditional standards, but they scratch and claw and outwork the guy across from them and I have a lot of respect for the effort and teamwork.

Don't get me wrong, I like Doc Sadler. I would trade Doc for MA anyday of the week. I know anytime I watch NE play, they are going "balls to the wall". It's something that is admired and respected. But calling for Big 12 coach of the year for a 2-4 conference team is a little silly. You could easily make arguement for others including MA for Mizzou. They have more wins this season than last already with 7 new players. And I in no way believe that MA should be coach of the year.

If Ne finishes strong and makes ATLEAST the top 6 teams, then a discussion should occur. As of now, NU is in 9th place out of 12 teams.

Don't get me wrong, I like Doc Sadler. I would trade Doc for MA anyday of the week. I know anytime I watch NE play, they are going "balls to the wall". It's something that is admired and respected. But calling for Big 12 coach of the year for a 2-4 conference team is a little silly. You could easily make arguement for others including MA for Mizzou. They have more wins this season than last already with 7 new players. And I in no way believe that MA should be coach of the year.

If Ne finishes strong and makes ATLEAST the top 6 teams, then a discussion should occur. As of now, NU is in 9th place out of 12 teams.

I don't think the OP really believes that, he is just trying to pump us up about Husker BB, after 4 straight close loses.

Don't really agree with that part.

Not counting Diaz, who probably won't (and shouldn't) play this year, the tallest players on the team are

Chris Balham (6-8) - Doc plays him often but he has been sidelined by injuries.

Ben Nelson (The Senator) (6-8) rarely sees quality minutes.

Alonzo Edwards- (6-7)- averaging 6 minutes a game as a redshirt freshman

Toney McCray (6-6)- averaging 17 minutes a game.

Nebraska being the smallest D-I team doesn't mean that it starts the smallest starting lineup. It means that the it has the smallest average height of all players on a team of any D-I team.

Having two 6-8, 1 6-7, and 6-6 player does not qualify as having plenty of big guys to me.

I go to all of the home games and watch all of the road games on TV (when available). This team is so much fun to watch. They play with such effort, you can't help but be a fan. It does get frustrating with the close loses but given the talent (or lack thereof), we shouldn't even be in some of these games. Doc is a GREAT coach. Hopefully he can get some of that Danny Nee talent in the door. I would love to see what he could do with players like that. But again, I love the players we have now. With the way they play, how can you not?