Why is Notre Dame still a major contender in recruiting?

papersun87

• 2 months later...

Mass delusion is my answer. Notre Dame should be on par with the Hoosiers as far as FB recruiting goes, but then Rudy comes out and suddenly a mental paralysis sweeps over the nation. I hope NBC (a flagging financial disaster already) is happy with their 6-7 win team. The greatest irony of Notre Dame's existence is the fact that with the talent they bring in, there's no reason on earth they shouldn't be in the BCS hunt every season. They play a string cupcakes and service academies and still find a way to be mediocre. Notre Dame invents ways to lose football games. Hopefully NBC will go under and be forced to cancel the contract. Then that useless relic of a program will be out of sight, out of mind.

• 2 weeks later...

The fightin anacronisms befefit from the hype machine that is ESPN. How often are they mentioned as relevant on every college football program. I assure you, if NU had the same performance that the rusty domers do, you wouldn't hear a thing about them unless there were charges being filed.

The fightin anacronisms befefit from the hype machine that is ESPN. How often are they mentioned as relevant on every college football program. I assure you, if NU had the same performance that the rusty domers do, you wouldn't hear a thing about them unless there were charges being filed.

ESPN is a joke most of the time. Florida, USC, and Notre Dame. They also have a thing for Clemson during the preseason. Midwest teams (sans THE Ohio State) get nil coverage.

• 2 weeks later...

Mass delusion is my answer. Notre Dame should be on par with the Hoosiers as far as FB recruiting goes, but then Rudy comes out and suddenly a mental paralysis sweeps over the nation. I hope NBC (a flagging financial disaster already) is happy with their 6-7 win team. The greatest irony of Notre Dame's existence is the fact that with the talent they bring in, there's no reason on earth they shouldn't be in the BCS hunt every season. They play a string cupcakes and service academies and still find a way to be mediocre. Notre Dame invents ways to lose football games. Hopefully NBC will go under and be forced to cancel the contract. Then that useless relic of a program will be out of sight, out of mind.

I am no fan of Notre Dame, but you can't dis their scheduling, at least not when you compare them to Nebraska or Mizzou or KU who really do play cupcakes.

Here's a link that will let you see their schedules of the last 10 years. Yea - the service academies are usually weak (except Navy of the last few years), but they consistently play Big 10, USC, UCLA, Pitt, Nebraska, Ga Tech, etc.

http://www.phys.utk.edu/sorensen/cfr/cfr/O...Notre_Dame.html

I am no fan of Notre Dame, but you can't dis their scheduling, at least not when you compare them to Nebraska or Mizzou or KU who really do play cupcakes.

Here's a link that will let you see their schedules of the last 10 years. Yea - the service academies are usually weak (except Navy of the last few years), but they consistently play Big 10, USC, UCLA, Pitt, Nebraska, Ga Tech, etc.

I might be wrong here, but haven't they turned into the cupcake team?

If it weren't for their media presence you can bet that very few of the big name teams would even think of scheduling them.