NCAA Tourney Hopes??

Oregon St and UMBC

no, we aren't on the bubble. Those 2 losses killed us. We have to beat Mizzou on the road, and take care of the rest of our "gimmie" games before we can be considered on the bubble honestly. A loss @ KU will be fine, but i think we need to upset Baylor on the road at the end of the regular season, then possibly win 2 in the tourney. Those 2 losses absolutely killed us. You can't have the bad non-conference schedule we had and lose 3. The ISU loss hurt also. This isn't the big 12 of the past few years... it is way down. It is a realistic possibility there is only 3 tournament teams out of the big 12 but probably 4. Doubt we are 1 of them unless we get another upset or 2.

I think NU has to finish top 5 in Big 12 (realistic) and win two games in big 12 tourney (less likely but still very possible). So I have to say NU is a bubble team, you have to project how the season is going to end. Plus you think about other factors not just winning/RPI - NU has decent fan support for basketball and the committee will think they will travel like for football (proportionally of course) and be excited about being in the tourney again. Plus think about the story of being the smallest team in division 1, that surely would be brought up as a major story for that week, especially if they play with a tall team. Also with the mid-majors not doing as good this year, a winning record in a big 6 league will go far.

NU is five points away from being 18-4 right now( Maryland Baltimore County,OKST, and Oregon St), man how can a shot change a season.

Oregon St and UMBC

no, we aren't on the bubble. Those 2 losses killed us. We have to beat Mizzou on the road, and take care of the rest of our "gimmie" games before we can be considered on the bubble honestly. A loss @ KU will be fine, but i think we need to upset Baylor on the road at the end of the regular season, then possibly win 2 in the tourney. Those 2 losses absolutely killed us. You can't have the bad non-conference schedule we had and lose 3. The ISU loss hurt also. This isn't the big 12 of the past few years... it is way down. It is a realistic possibility there is only 3 tournament teams out of the big 12 but probably 4. Doubt we are 1 of them unless we get another upset or 2.

1. We are on the bubble, so say the experts. Check ESPN if you don't believe me.

2. You keep talking about upsetting all these teams..... you realize we're ranked higher in the conference then them? That's what matters, no? Maybe the lines will be in their favor, but it's not like we're actually underdogs.

Oregon St and UMBC

1. We are on the bubble, so say the experts. Check ESPN if you don't believe me.

2. You keep talking about upsetting all these teams..... you realize we're ranked higher in the conference then them? That's what matters, no? Maybe the lines will be in their favor, but it's not like we're actually underdogs.

Pretty sure underdog status is determined by who is the favorite. We will be on the road against baylor and mizzou, we WILL BE UNDERDOGS, those games would be upsets. Other than that i don't know what teams i'm talking about upsetting, so therefore saying my talk about upsetting "all these teams" is over-exaggerating just a little bit ya think? 95% of people will tell you those will be upsets. Kansas is even in the big 12 standings with OU so that should be a toss up right? KU will be the underdog, will be considered an upset if they win. It's not all about conference standings.

We are not on the bubble. Maybe i'm missing where you said this? When i made that post, this weeks had not been updated. I just went and looked, well, we STILL ARENT on the bubble. See this link.

the thing about the "5 points" thing is we lost those games. the OK St doesn't hurt that bad, but the UMBC and OSU games KILL us. those were games we NEEDED to win. 17-5 would be just fine at this point, and give us a very realistic shot at being in. But i still think we need to beat Mizzou AND Baylor and hold our own end of the bargain up.

my point was, with those five points NU would be a legit team in consideration, and people wouldnt be arguing about if NU was on the bubble, but what seed is NU going to get, or at least know they have a good shot of making it to the tourney

the thing about the "5 points" thing is we lost those games. the OK St doesn't hurt that bad, but the UMBC and OSU games KILL us. those were games we NEEDED to win. 17-5 would be just fine at this point, and give us a very realistic shot at being in. But i still think we need to beat Mizzou AND Baylor and hold our own end of the bargain up.

my point was, with those five points NU would be a legit team in consideration, and people wouldnt be arguing about if NU was on the bubble, but what seed is NU going to get, or at least know they have a good shot of making it to the tourney

I understand, but those are games we had to win is my point.. not like games like what if we held on to KU or OU or Okie St... thats all i was saying.

I understand, but those are games we had to win is my point.. not like games like what if we held on to KU or OU or Okie St... thats all i was saying.

totally agree :koolaid2:

I think NU has to finish top 5 in Big 12 (realistic) and win two games in big 12 tourney (less likely but still very possible). So I have to say NU is a bubble team, you have to project how the season is going to end. Plus you think about other factors not just winning/RPI - NU has decent fan support for basketball and the committee will think they will travel like for football (proportionally of course) and be excited about being in the tourney again. Plus think about the story of being the smallest team in division 1, that surely would be brought up as a major story for that week, especially if they play with a tall team. Also with the mid-majors not doing as good this year, a winning record in a big 6 league will go far.

NU is five points away from being 18-4 right now( Maryland Baltimore County,OKST, and Oregon St), man how can a shot change a season.

Why do you say top 5? I think we absolutely need a top 4 to have a chance at making it. The top 4 teams get to sit the first round out, if we are in 5th and win the first game then we would have to play the 4 seed team and if you get past them then the next game you will most likely play the number one seed. 1997 was the first year for the Big XII tournament and no team below a 3 seed has ever won the tournament. I think our only legitimate chance would be if we make it to the Big XII Championship Game.

Why do you say top 5? I think we absolutely need a top 4 to have a chance at making it. The top 4 teams get to sit the first round out, if we are in 5th and win the first game then we would have to play the 4 seed team and if you get past them then the next game you will most likely play the number one seed. 1997 was the first year for the Big XII tournament and no team below a 3 seed has ever won the tournament. I think our only legitimate chance would be if we make it to the Big XII Championship Game.

first off I meant at least top 5

but I think NU could win those two games, I am not concerned about winning the tourney, sure it would be awesome, but OU is so much better than everyone else in the big 12. I am not saying being top four would hurt, but I think the best thing NU can get is wins. I see your point, respect it, but have with the mid-majors not good this year, the big 6 conferences should get more bids. I think the big 12 will get five bids and with 22 wins NU would have a legit shot

Right now Nebraska is on the edge of the bubble (if that it possible) but they are still a bubble team. It can only help Nebraska's chances if they win against both Mizzou and Baylor. If that happens then they can afford to lose against Kansas and still have a shot of getting in to the big dance. The important part will be doing well in the big 12 tourny. If Nebraska only loses one more regular season game, wins 2 in the big 12 tournament, I say that they are in even after losing to Oregon State and UMBC.