2010 Offers

I've noticed recently several pretty good players who have offers from big time programs and have an interest in Nebraska, but do not have offers. Some positions are particularly notable in the small number of known offers: RB - 2, OL - 4, DB - 2, DT - 4, TE - 0

Any thoughts on if Nebraska is approaching recruiting differently this year than last? Obviously Nebraska brought in a heavy class of DBs, and OLs last year so the need isn't so great there, but why aren't some of these top flight players with interest at other positions getting offers? The current predicted number of open scholarships is 13, but this class is likely to have more than 15 players and be nearly as big as 2009. Or is just too early right now?

too early, imo. there is a possibility that the class could end up around 18-19 but that is unlikely so we have to be selective.

on top of that is the fact that you cannot have too many bodtmann experiences getting out into the press, so they are likely hesitant to offer a scholly to some diamond type players, or players that dont fit the system quite this early.

plus as i have pointed out many times before, stars do mean something but if those players with the stars do not fit your system then the value of such players go down. so just because they are highly rated does not mean that we are even interested.

Since we are a year out from signing day, I would think they are starting with the cream of the crop, judging their chances at landing some of those players, and then working their way down the board when they feel like players won't come.

I would imagine that seeing more offers in the future might mean that we are moving on from some of the kids we are in on right now. We probably won't see any commits until late summer at the earliest anyway, with a few exceptions, so we have quite a bit of time.