Mike Leach out?

BLB115

That would be great for the rest of the Big XII...

I disagree. I think the Big 12 is better off being the toughest conference it can possibly be. You get better against tough competition, and other things being equal (like having 1 loss), a team in a tougher conference (like the SEC or Big 12) has a better chance to make the championship game than one from a weaker conference (like the Pac 10 or Big 10).

Otherwise, why don't we just join the Sun Belt conference?

Seems that a lot of the talk from their fans point at Briles. I don't see him leaving Baylor, but as I said it is just talk.

don't see briles doing that. i would UNDERSTAND why he would do it, but don't see it happening.

I think the guy they were talking to from Lubbock said that Briles has a clause in his contract specifically for the TTech becoming available. It would be strange this time of year, but it sounded like he had an out in the contract so who knows....

Nice article on SI.com about these idiots:

Meanwhile, SI, 60 Minutes, The New York Times and other national media outlets swarmed Lubbock to chronicle the exploits of the Pepperdine Law School graduate who, despite never having played college football, invented an offense that befuddled some of the sport's brightest defensive minds. Do Myers and company think their next hire will draw the same kind of attention? It's possible, but not likely.

But maybe that's what they want. Maybe Texas Tech's administration is happy to run a program that will annually compete with Baylor and Texas A&M for fourth place in the Big 12 South. Of course, if Leach gets fired and Mike Sherman has a second dismal season in College Station, maybe the Aggies, who have far more financial resources than the Red Raiders, will snap up the mad genius and make him their 12th man.

Of course Leach will be more than fine. If the fire him they owe him ~1 million buyout. He will probably be getting paid 250K to be a OC somewhere next year and then get 2-3 million the year after that to be head coach at TAMU, ND, UCLA or some place in the SEC.

If he is fired, I can see ESPN or ABC scrambling to get an analyst contract in place for the 2009 season.

I think ESPN, etc, would be beaten to the punch by Long John Silver's....think about it. He could be like their version of Jared (from Subway).

His buyout is $500k right now according to ESPN. Under the new contract it would have increased to 1.5M

I don't know were the ESPN number came from but this is what si.com had:

Leach's current contract calls for him to receive about 40 percent of the money remaining on his contract if he is fired without cause.
His reported current salary is 1.75 mill.

SN is the same:

If Leach is fired, he would be owed $1.6 million for the remaining two years on his current contract.

And:

A clause in the proposed contract that says Leach would be paid 12 percent of any remaining salary if he is fired: "I don't know if any coach in America would agree to that. I know for sure one coach who won't."

His reported current salary is 1.75 mill.

Or maybe its:

Leach said earlier this week he's content moving forward on the remaining two years of his current contract, which would pay him $2.65 million next season and $2.35 million in 2010.

:dunno

But as this is a public university all of that should be open info. Not sure why reporters have to interview Leach to figure it out.

I say if Tech is dumb enough to do this, they deserve what they get. They have already covered the bridge in petrol to burn it, then he somehow flames out now or leaves at the first opportunity. The damage probably is done, regardless, and I think Tech suffers. Leach's team is not my favorite in how they conduct themselves, but give it to the man, he has done a lot with not very much... He can coach. He has really upped that schools profile, A LOT.