Mike Leach out?

BLB115

from the LJS Blog...

Some more on the Leach saga

Tim Griffin of ESPN.com sheds some more interesting light on the Texas Tech-Mike Leach saga.

Writes Griffin:

Interestingly, Tech has just signed a multi-million sports marketing deal with Learfield Communications that will be worth at least $20.3 million to the school, providing rental of stadium suites and a new video screen at Jones AT&T Stadium. Tech was the last school in the Big 12 that outsourced its sports marketing business.

One of Learfield's biggest competitive rivals is IMG, a leading collegiate marketing and licensing company that also represents football coaches.

And one of IMG's top clients is Mike Leach -- making it understandable why the thought of a school-managed representation deal for Leach become such a contentious topic in his contract negotiations.

It was telling earlier this week when former Texas Tech running back coach Seth Littrell, considered Leach's top recruiter, left for a job on Mike Stoops' staff at Arizona.

Stoops' job security had been tenuous until a late run last season, capped by a victory in the Las Vegas Bowl.

But it appears that Littrell sees more stability among the saguaros in the desert on Stoops' staff than by staying on the High Plains working with Leach.

It all adds up to what should be a fascinating meeting on Friday for the trustees and an even more interesting result when the board finally makes its decision.

Just a quick footnote: Leach's agent, Gary O'Hagan, also represents Bill Callahan, at least he did when Callahan was at Nebraska.

There are 4 clauses in the contract that are the sticking points. Tech wants him to have to seek permission from the AD to interview for another job. Tech wants to control and arrange his speaking engagements, and naming rights. And the buyout clause. Tech has gotten greedy. There is good odds that if they fire Leach, they will not be better than 5th in the south again for a long time. It's not like Texas Tech is a desirable jobs.

oh man, i will laugh good and hearty if they dump him. i think both sides are being idiotic here, they've had a little taste of success and now there is apparently a power struggle over who is going to be the tough guy and get the credit. classic 'we dont need you, we made you' behavior. grow the eff up.

This would be a bad move for Tech if they can't sign him. But I doubt he gets canned. He still has two years on his contract, and the money isn't the issue, so why just dump him?

I think too much is being made of this, Leach isn't going anywhere.

Exactly. He's still their coach until 2010. But I'm sure after next season he'll throw his hat at every job opening that comes up again.

This would be a bad move for Tech if they can't sign him. But I doubt he gets canned. He still has two years on his contract, and the money isn't the issue, so why just dump him?

I think too much is being made of this, Leach isn't going anywhere.

Exactly. He's still their coach until 2010. But I'm sure after next season he'll throw his hat at every job opening that comes up again.

Recruiting. Who the hell is going to come to your school when they know the coach is gone in two years?

There are 4 clauses in the contract that are the sticking points. Tech wants him to have to seek permission from the AD to interview for another job. Tech wants to control and arrange his speaking engagements, and naming rights. And the buyout clause. Tech has gotten greedy. There is good odds that if they fire Leach, they will not be better than 5th in the south again for a long time. It's not like Texas Tech is a desirable jobs.

Not to mention, they receive all money for anything he does, like write a book about Wyoming. I saw that clause and I thought to myself WTF. How can they assume someone would agree to terms giving TTU the rights to say a book that has nothing to do with TTU or coaching? The AD at TTU is a friggin moron and I think he wants Leach gone, there is no other reason for such clauses.

Nice article on SI.com about these idiots:

Meanwhile, SI, 60 Minutes, The New York Times and other national media outlets swarmed Lubbock to chronicle the exploits of the Pepperdine Law School graduate who, despite never having played college football, invented an offense that befuddled some of the sport's brightest defensive minds. Do Myers and company think their next hire will draw the same kind of attention? It's possible, but not likely.

But maybe that's what they want. Maybe Texas Tech's administration is happy to run a program that will annually compete with Baylor and Texas A&M for fourth place in the Big 12 South. Of course, if Leach gets fired and Mike Sherman has a second dismal season in College Station, maybe the Aggies, who have far more financial resources than the Red Raiders, will snap up the mad genius and make him their 12th man.

Of course Leach will be more than fine. If the fire him they owe him ~1 million buyout. He will probably be getting paid 250K to be a OC somewhere next year and then get 2-3 million the year after that to be head coach at TAMU, ND, UCLA or some place in the SEC.

Meanwhile, SI, 60 Minutes, The New York Times and other national media outlets swarmed Lubbock to chronicle the exploits of the Pepperdine Law School graduate who, despite never having played college football, invented an offense that befuddled some of the sport's brightest defensive minds. Do Myers and company think their next hire will draw the same kind of attention? It's possible, but not likely.

But maybe that's what they want. Maybe Texas Tech's administration is happy to run a program that will annually compete with Baylor and Texas A&M for fourth place in the Big 12 South. Of course, if Leach gets fired and Mike Sherman has a second dismal season in College Station, maybe the Aggies, who have far more financial resources than the Red Raiders, will snap up the mad genius and make him their 12th man.

Of course Leach will be more than fine. If the fire him they owe him ~1 million buyout. He will probably be getting paid 250K to be a OC somewhere next year and then get 2-3 million the year after that to be head coach at TAMU, ND, UCLA or some place in the SEC.

:yeah

Leach love him or hate him gets the job done on offense. Part of that may be the fact that he is eccentric enough that no one can predict what he is going to do. Tech fans love him, and the Admin would be smart to jump on the wagon while all four wheels are still on!!

If he is fired, I can see ESPN or ABC scrambling to get an analyst contract in place for the 2009 season.

His buyout is $500k right now according to ESPN. Under the new contract it would have increased to 1.5M