LB Hayes Pullard

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Crenshaw (Los Angeles) linebacker Hayes Pullard has taken two official visits thus far and knows where his last three trips will be as well.

Pullard, who rates as the No. 48 athlete in the 2010 class, has shown solid versatility. He plays both linebacker and fullback for Crenshaw, which is 9-0 on the year.

"We're looking good right now," Pullard said. "Our goal is to win a state championship and we're on track to get it done so far. There's a lot of good teams out there but we think we're up there as well."

On the recruiting front, Pullard has already visited Notre Dame and checked out Arizona State just a few weeks ago.

"It was a great trip," Pullard said. "That defense is for real. They play some intense football and really get after it. I was really comfortable there because I know a lot of the players, they recruit the city hard every year and I know the coaches already.

"Clint Floyd, who played here at Crenshaw, was my host and Coach Yarber is from Crenshaw as well. He has been recruiting me for a long time and I'm real tight with him."

Pullard has one other visit date locked in and is setting his last two.

"I'm going to Washington at the end of this month (Nov. 27)," Pullard said. "I'm setting my visit to UCLA for (Nov. 20) when they play ASU and I'm going to visit USC after my season is over.

"I know the coaches at UW really well because they recruited me when they were at USC. With UCLA, it's close to home and I'm close with some of their players like Brian Price and Reggie Carter. They love it at UCLA and talk to me about keeping that Crenshaw pipeline going.

"USC is a great program and Ken Norton knows what he's doing coaching linebackers. They put a lot of players in to the League every year. It's going to be a tough decision for me because these are all great schools. I'm just taking my time and have no plans to commit any time soon."

• 1 month later...

USC is poised for a monster recruiting weekend on Jan. 15 and yet another talented player taking his official visit that week is Crenshaw (Los Angeles) linebacker Hayes Pullard.

Pullard is among the top players in the Golden State this year. He has been one of the top 'backers in the city section since his sophomore year and is focusing on five schools at the moment.

Pullard has taken official visits to Washington, Notre Dame and Arizona State, and he plans to visit USC and UCLA as well.

"I set up my SC visit for [Jan. 15]," Pullard said. "I haven't set up UCLA yet but that trip will be sometime in January as well. I've enjoyed all three of my visits so far and I don't have a leader right now, everyone is even.

"I'm not in any rush to make my decision and I plan to announce on signing day. I really haven't focused much on recruiting in the past month because we were in the playoffs. ASU, Notre Dame and Washington were all scheduled to come in for home visits but we had practice for the playoffs so I had to re-schedule them.

"Basically, I told all the coaches that I just want to enjoy my Christmas and New Year's and wanted to relax without recruiting getting in the way. They all respected that and I'm thankful for it. A lot of people will ask me what colleges are recruiting me the hardest but like I said, right now, it's all even because I told everyone not to call during the Holidays and that's where things are at now."

• 2 weeks later...

Pullard scheduled a trip to USC awhile back but with the departure of head coach Pete Carroll, there was some talk that he could visit UCLA instead.

"No, I'm still going to USC this weekend," Pullard said. "Nothing has changed for me. USC will be this weekend and then UCLA will likely be the following weekend. I should be ready to make my decision following those visits."

Pullard has already visited Washington, Notre Dame and Arizona State but just about everyone close to the linebacker has said this one will come down to a battle between the two L.A. schools and right now, it appears too close to call.

• 3 weeks later...

numerous reports saying Pullard will commit to USC

Unfortunately, you're right on this. Apparently his mom really wants him to go to UCLA, but Hayes is going to commit to USC in honor of his deceased father who was a big Trojans fan. It's hard to hold it against him, but I'll still have to hate him now that he'll be on the wrong side of LA.