Mendoza

I think we'll see him in the rotation some, but it'll be on a limited basis. The problem is he has Q and Helu in front of him and they have the size you want and Helu has the quickness. Q will just rip your soul out of your body while he's running over the top of you. Mendoza will be used, but again probably on a limited basis. He's fast as hell though..............

I like the sound of that.

I hope he sees significant time next year. We had a rotation of 3 last year and it worked pretty well. Just milk the man who's hot. I would also like to see him in the slot.

I had to read that sentence twice. I guess I was reading too fast when I saw, "The milk man is hot" LOL :LOLtartar

I think Mendoza will only earn more reps if he can greatly improve his blocking skills. The coaches have said that his blocking was the main factor in him not seeing the field more. This may also have a lot to do with the WR experimenting the Watts was doing during bowl practices.

Let's face it, if you can't pass block in a WC scheme, (or any scheme really) then it doesn't matter how fast and explosive you are. Your benefit to the team will be little if any because there is much more to being a great RB than just running. Even the legendary little man Barry Sanders could block!

Mendoza is blazing fast and quick.. I like the idea of getting him 5-10 touches a game. Get him involved.

Sorry, Q had a few good runs, a good game here and there, but I still think he's a short yardage back and is limited to what he can do. A few carries too often and a fumble is inevitable. I'm not a fan of seeing him as the clear-cut #2 back that splits carries. I think the #2 back is completely open for competition.

I totally disagree about Q. I know he has had fumble problems, but he has the potential to be the best back in the Big 12. Power, speed, and agility, make him so much more than a short yardage back. I think Mendoza needs to be on the field, but he will not get as many carries as Q.

Mendoza is blazing fast and quick.. I like the idea of getting him 5-10 touches a game. Get him involved.

Sorry, Q had a few good runs, a good game here and there, but I still think he's a short yardage back and is limited to what he can do. A few carries too often and a fumble is inevitable. I'm not a fan of seeing him as the clear-cut #2 back that splits carries. I think the #2 back is completely open for competition.

I totally disagree about Q. I know he has had fumble problems, but he has the potential to be the best back in the Big 12. Power, speed, and agility, make him so much more than a short yardage back. I think Mendoza needs to be on the field, but he will not get as many carries as Q.

I agree with Huskers forever. A short yardage back doesn't get 125 yards in a bowl game unless the dude has some serious speed. He reminds me a lot of the body style/playing ability of Lawrence Phillips. Q is fast, agile, and a bruiser to anybody that gets in his way. The dude throws linemen off of him like they are styrofoam. Had he been given a few more carries in the Gator Bowl, I bet he would have gone between 150-200 total yards. I also believe he has the tools to be much better than Helu, but we will see.

I don't agree at all to the Q/ Phillips comapison. Those to are nothing alike in build or running style. Q is 245! Phillips was 215 or so. Phillips was a slasher with blazing speed, where Castille is a bruiser with a decent burst. The two are like night and day to me.

And only time will tell with Q and Helu, but everything I've seen leads me to belive Helu will be THE man in the coming years. Q will get plenty of opprotunities, but barring injury will continue to be the complimentary back. JMO

I agree with Huskers forever. A short yardage back doesn't get 125 yards in a bowl game unless the dude has some serious speed. He reminds me a lot of the body style/playing ability of Lawrence Phillips. Q is fast, agile, and a bruiser to anybody that gets in his way. The dude throws linemen off of him like they are styrofoam. Had he been given a few more carries in the Gator Bowl, I bet he would have gone between 150-200 total yards. I also believe he has the tools to be much better than Helu, but we will see.

I don't think he has the vision or the moves that Helu does, but he does bring a more physical presence. I think Helu will get the majority of carries, and I think he will thrive.

I don't agree at all to the Q/ Phillips comapison. Those to are nothing alike in build or running style. Q is 245! Phillips was 215 or so. Phillips was a slasher with blazing speed, where Castille is a bruiser with a decent burst. The two are like night and day to me.

And only time will tell with Q and Helu, but everything I've seen leads me to belive Helu will be THE man in the coming years. Q will get plenty of opprotunities, but barring injury will continue to be the complimentary back. JMO

Q is bigger, but I thought he looked alot like LP in the Gator Bowl too. LP was also a bruising runner as well as a slasher. Q has very good agility for his size, and remember, he dropped his weight down to 230. LP looked heavier than 215, because he was very muscular( huge guns). I just hope Q starts next season where he left off.

I think Mendoza will only earn more reps if he can greatly improve his blocking skills. The coaches have said that his blocking was the main factor in him not seeing the field more. This may also have a lot to do with the WR experimenting the Watts was doing during bowl practices.

Let's face it, if you can't pass block in a WC scheme, (or any scheme really) then it doesn't matter how fast and explosive you are. Your benefit to the team will be little if any because there is much more to being a great RB than just running. Even the legendary little man Barry Sanders could block!

I agree with you, but lets remember that was his first year, give him time to work on his blocking. He is smaller than the other two, he may need to develop a technique that works best for him. Hopefully he gets it worked out before the first game of the season.

Hes fast enough that he could be done field blocking for the w/r on a long pass play. OK maybe not that fast :lol:

GBR!!!

I agree with you, but lets remember that was his first year, give him time to work on his blocking. He is smaller than the other two, he may need to develop a technique that works best for him. Hopefully he gets it worked out before the first game of the season.

Hes fast enough that he could be done field blocking for the w/r on a long pass play. OK maybe not that fast :lol:

GBR!!!

What, he never learned the simple 3 step method to the little man block? It's easy!

1. Locate ankles

2. ATTACK!!!

3. Check back of jersey for cleat marks. (If none continue to step 4.)

4. Quiet internal celebration.

I think we'll see him in the rotation some, but it'll be on a limited basis. The problem is he has Q and Helu in front of him and they have the size you want and Helu has the quickness. Q will just rip your soul out of your body while he's running over the top of you. Mendoza will be used, but again probably on a limited basis. He's fast as hell though..............

I hope he sees significant time next year. We had a rotation of 3 last year and it worked pretty well. Just milk the man who's hot. I would also like to see him in the slot.

I had to read that sentence twice. I guess I was reading too fast when I saw, "The milk man is hot" LOL :LOLtartar

What about the slot?

I would like to see him get the ball on one of those quick slot screens like we would get it to Swifty last year. With his speed and quickness all he needs is that one block from the other receiver to get to the edge.

I thought they were working him out a bit with the receivers last year?? If so, I'm sure we'll see that screen to him sometime in the near future.

What about the slot?

I'm still having a hard time getting the image of a breast pump out my head :bang

Mcbain-mendoza.JPG

MENDOZA!!!

Nice!!!! :clap

Maybe they'll put Mendoza in at QB in the "WildHusker" formation that Shawn Watson used last year with Marlon Lucky?

I'm proposing a new shotgun formation personnel grouping: The Shotgun RB Set. It could be having a QB in the gun with one or two backs in the backfield with three or four backs lined up at the WR spots. Imagine Mendoza at QB, Helu and Castille in the backfield with Okafor, Burkhead and Robinson lined up at WR.

Good gawd, think how many versions of the zone read could be utilized out of that set, then you could add in reverses, passes, reverse passes, screens, options, option passes.

:koolaid2: