Where do you want to see Burkhead play?

Burkhead  

75 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I know there has been a lot of talk on various recruiting boards about where Burkhead should play. I assume there is a decent chance that he redshirts next year, so this is just a general question that might be more applicable next year.

My vote: Safety. I've seen a lot of arguments that essentially say that "he is to athletic too not have the ball in his hands." I guess I'm a defensive kind of guy...I want to see some outstanding (and intelligent!) athletes out on the violent side of the ball. Also, I think that we have something of a logjam of quality running backs at the moment with Helu/Castille/Mendoza/Okafor. If he must play offense I guess I'd hope for WR or a slot back/hybrid position.

Anyways. Your thoughts?

eek3.gif

RB. this guy is very talented with the ball in his hands. at the nike sports RB/LB camp he was nearly unstoppable and frankly i thought he looked better than lache seastrunk (sp?). he is very fast for a rb and can catch anything. i just cant see this guy being anything other than an rb, especially a defensive player.....

eek3.gif

RB. this guy is very talented with the ball in his hands. at the nike sports RB/LB camp he was nearly unstoppable and frankly i thought he looked better than lache seastrunk (sp?). he is very fast for a rb and can catch anything. i just cant see this guy being anything other than an rb, especially a defensive player.....

Yeah, I've seen the nike sports video at least a dozen times too. I'm not saying that he wouldn't be an outstanding running back, I'm saying that it appears the team has a greater need at the moment for safeties/db's than another running back. I guess I was trying to ask "where would Burkhead help the team the most." Anyways, I hope he is outstanding wherever he plays. Just another thread to fill the offseason...

eek3.gif

Yeah, I've seen the nike sports video at least a dozen times too. I'm not saying that he wouldn't be an outstanding running back, I'm saying that it appears the team has a greater need at the moment for safeties/db's than another running back. I guess I was trying to ask "where would Burkhead help the team the most." Anyways, I hope he is outstanding wherever he plays. Just another thread to fill the offseason...

He would definitely help the team at safety. Also, we need a WR that can run after the catch and that requires a double team --- it could be argued that we do not have such a WR at present. Sure, perhaps Niles Paul has the potential --- but if so, he really has not shown it. Gillyan (sp?) is purported to have the speed --- but has not really shown anything yet. maybe the new JC guy will have these skills. Or maybe Khiry Cooper. many maybes but no one that is clearly a threat at WR. Seems to me you throw athletes there until you find someone that can meet the criteria. Why not throw Burkhead there?

At RB we are deep with talent --- he is not so much needed there, at least not so much as he is needed at WR or safety.

So.... I say either WR or safety. Or, if he has the heart for it playing a little undersized, why not OLB? But at RB we have Helu, Castille, Okafor, Mendoza and Ward --- adding Burkhead to that mix is a waste.

He would definitely help the team at safety. Also, we need a WR that can run after the catch and that requires a double team --- it could be argued that we do not have such a WR at present. Sure, perhaps Niles Paul has the potential --- but if so, he really has not shown it. Gillyan (sp?) is purported to have the speed --- but has not really shown anything yet. maybe the new JC guy will have these skills. Or maybe Khiry Cooper. many maybes but no one that is clearly a threat at WR. Seems to me you throw athletes there until you find someone that can meet the criteria. Why not throw Burkhead there?

At RB we are deep with talent --- he is not so much needed there, at least not so much as he is needed at WR or safety.

So.... I say either WR or safety. Or, if he has the heart for it playing a little undersized, why not OLB? But at RB we have Helu, Castille, Okafor, Mendoza and Ward --- adding Burkhead to that mix is a waste.

That's a well thought out post. I agree for the most part. Also, the OLB thing is intriguing. I remember Scout referring to him as a "junk yard dog." Sounds like he might fit well there.

He would transfer before moving to safety.

Your source? Everything I have seen has indicated that he'll play wherever the coaches want/need him.

No source here. Where is you're source that says he would consider playing on the defensive side of the ball? Maybe in a couple of years, and he is not getting playing time, he might pull a Cody Glen, but I will bet you any amount of money he plays on offense for at least his first two years at Nebraska. This kid is a ledgend in Texas high school football, and he chose us over a number of bigtime schools. I would not be surprised if he plays as a true freshman for us.

Rex Burhead will never play any position at NU other then RB/slot reciever/ return man. Thread closed :box

No source here. Where is you're source that says he would consider playing on the defensive side of the ball? Maybe in a couple of years, and he is not getting playing time, he might pull a Cody Glen, but I will bet you any amount of money he plays on offense for at least his first two years at Nebraska. This kid is a ledgend in Texas high school football, and he chose us over a number of bigtime schools. I would not be surprised if he plays as a true freshman for us.

Rex Burhead will never play any position at NU other then RB/slot reciever/ return man. Thread closed :box

Here you go. http://insider.espn.go.com/ncf/recruiting/...26season%3d2009

Notice particularly where it says "We're not so sure he won't end up playing safety/strong safety." ESPN supposedly has the best evals, if you are into that sort of thing.

Next? :cop:

I'd say there is at least a 50% chance that Burkhead ends up on defense. But that is just as much speculation as you saying he'd never play anywhere besides rb/slot/return.

I voted for RB, but honestly think when looking at his tapes that he's a safety. He has some OK ball carring skills, and good lateral movement. But doesn't show alot of agility. I haven't seen one spin move out of him yet. (And no I don't claim to be an expert on the guy, I just haven't seen it on any of his film.)

As for him playing WR! :laughpound now that's a funny!!! Maybe he could long snap and kick to! All at the same time! I know there hasn't been a great deal of confidence in our returning WRs. But I feel most of those fears a unfounded. We do have talented big body recievers in the system who are much faster, and more experianced at the position. From what I've seen of Rex he wouldn't be more than a slot reciever at best. What a waste of talent that would be. It would rank right up there with Bobby Newcombe's last few seasons!

If we need a guy to fill that role, I think Mendoza would be first to move. Burkhead just isn't fast enough and/or tall enough to beat out the guys we already have. Just my opinion, but it's also true! ;)