VAN MORRISON SLAMS 'MEANINGLESS' BEATLES

The Beatles were the greatest there ever were. This is a fact, and as such is not open to debate.

Greatest What? Based on what?

It's getting nearly impossible to make blanket statements like that and sound believable.

One nice thing the Beatles did was have a "Clown"? as a Drummer..I was told by my older Brothers that I was already a better drummer as a 6th grader than Ringo..I just remember wanting to someday be almost as good as either of my brothers who had both played in College marching bands.

Anyway..the clown thing endeared them to lots of fans..and as David Evans (The "Edge" from U2) stated somewhere..One of his main early influences was a simple "3 chord" outfit (The Ramones).

It made them believe in themselves even when they were bad and just starting out.

(Something I think Van missed in his analysis of the importance of the Beatles).

Adding Elvis, The Doors, The Stones, and U2 would be fitting.

A lot of what you decide to be your "Best band ever" depends on which Blues artist they ripped off.

My favourite early Blues artist is probably Willie Dixon.

Who I never heard of before tracing Led Zeppelin's Roots.

The Beatles Ripped off Chuck Berry and Little Richard..

The Rolling Stones Ripped off Muddy Watters..

The Who ripped off James Brown..

Near as I can tell..Lemmy? ripped off Eddie Money.

One thing that separates the Beatles from bands like the Stones and The Who is the way they continued to evolve...I can count maybe a dozen songs by the Who or the Stones that I absolutely love..But they are pretty similar to each other..And their average stuff really sucks hard in most cases...Whereas...with the Beatles..It was like being able to enjoy several genera at the same time..And I probably only heard five bad songs from them, ever.

Van Morrison probably has over 40 songs that I really love..But some of his bad ones make you want to drink..

His influences are so subtle..maybe some Leadbelly and some Ray Charles??

The Beatles were the greatest there ever were. This is a fact, and as such is not open to debate.

Greatest What? Based on what?

It's getting nearly impossible to make blanket statements like that and sound believable.

One nice thing the Beatles did was have a "Clown"? as a Drummer..I was told by my older Brothers that I was already a better drummer as a 6th grader than Ringo..I just remember wanting to someday be almost as good as either of my brothers who had both played in College marching bands.

Anyway..the clown thing endeared them to lots of fans..and as David Evans (The "Edge" from U2) stated somewhere..One of his main early influences was a simple "3 chord" outfit (The Ramones).

It made them believe in themselves even when they were bad and just starting out.

(Something I think Van missed in his analysis of the importance of the Beatles).

A lot of what you decide to be your "Best band ever" depends on which Blues artist they ripped off.

My favourite early Blues artist is probably Willie Dixon.

Who I never heard of before tracing Led Zeppelin's Roots.

The Beatles Ripped off Chuck Berry and Little Richard..

The Rolling Stones Ripped off Muddy Watters..

The Who ripped off James Brown..

Near as I can tell..Lemmy? ripped off Eddie Money.

One thing that separates the Beatles from bands like the Stones and The Who is the way they continued to evolve...I can count maybe a dozen songs by the Who or the Stones that I absolutely love..But they are pretty similar to each other..And their average stuff really sucks hard in most cases...Whereas...with the Beatles..It was like being able to enjoy several genera at the same time..And I probably only heard five bad songs from them, ever.

Van Morrison probably has over 40 songs that I really love..But some of his bad ones make you want to drink..

Adding Elvis, The Doors, The Stones, and U2 would be fitting. Nice list though.

I never liked Elvis...Unless you mean Elvis Costello.

The Stones are good, but somewhat inconsistant (IMO).

I loved U2 up until after they did Rattle and Hum (And the only ones mentioned in this thread that I've actually seen in person..unless you count Page/Plant)...But lately..they just seem like a slightly prettier version of Madonna. j/k..But I really hate most forms of electronica.

I went through a Doors faze a couple of decades ago...But their greatest hits package is sufficient for most collections.

never heard of the guy....

and NewEarth, Nirvana was/is one of the greatest bands of all time. i do not care about anything outside of the music with them, hell i dont hardly know anything about them, but their music is some of the greatest of all time!

If you ever find yourself dating a woman over thirty..Imerse yourself in some of his love songs.."Have I told you lately".."Moondance"..."Someone like you".."Into the Mystic"..(She'll think you're deep). :laughpound

I love Nirvana, too.

They along with Pearl Jam introduced me to one of my Fav. genera..And through them, I discovered (for myself) Sound Garden/Chris Cornell and Alice in Chains.

I still wish I was at the Slipknot Concert tonight..I almost stopped by Guitar Center to meet Joey Jordison after work today..(I would've if I'd remembered to wear a Nebraska Shirt today).

I loved U2 up until after they did Rattle and Hum (And the only ones mentioned in this thread that I've actually seen in person..unless you count Page/Plant)...But lately..they just seem like a slightly prettier version of Madonna. j/k..But I really hate most forms of electronica.

I went through a Doors faze a couple of decades ago...But their greatest hits package is sufficient for most collections.

and NewEarth, Nirvana was/is one of the greatest bands of all time. i do not care about anything outside of the music with them, hell i dont hardly know anything about them, but their music is some of the greatest of all time!

If you ever find yourself dating a woman over thirty..Imerse yourself in some of his love songs.."Have I told you lately".."Moondance"..."Someone like you".."Into the Mystic"..(She'll think you're deep). :laughpound

I love Nirvana, too.

They along with Pearl Jam introduced me to one of my Fav. genera..And through them, I discovered (for myself) Sound Garden/Chris Cornell and Alice in Chains.

I still wish I was at the Slipknot Concert tonight..I almost stopped by Guitar Center to meet Joey Jordison after work today..(I would've if I'd remembered to wear a Nebraska Shirt today).

Uh....No. I'm talking about Elvis

Thank You Very Much

I love Nirvana, too.

You worship the decade of depressed, morose little flit boys and you diss Lemmy? :blink:

The Stones never evolved into playing different styles of music? That is news to me. They covered everything from rock, soul, country, blues, folk, bluegrass, gospel; they even dabbled with some disco. The Who maybe but not so much but The Stones come on.

As far as The Beatles only having 5 bad songs, there are probably that many bad ones on the White Album alone but because they are Beatles songs people give them a pass. The early pop three chords repeating the same line over and over again while bobbing your head back and forth are borderline at best (Herman’s Hermits type crap) and forced them to have no choice but to evolve or they wouldn’t have been able to keep up.

All British bands that were worth their salt ripped off the old blues cats and Elvis to a certain extent that is why most of the best bands are from over seas and during that era.

As far as Van Morrison influences being subtle, he wanted to be one of those blues cats or the old Motown singers or like you said Ray Charles and you can throw in Solomon Burke as well. Just like Elvis he is also heavily influenced by those old time gospel albums as were a lot of people back then.

Arguing The Stones and The Beatles is kind of like arguing Coke vs. Pepsi, Magic vs. Larry. At the end of the day neither side will change their views but will show why they love their choice so much. :clap:woo:thumbs

“If music got to free your mind”

Hardly. They just played the media machine better. They were the back street boys of the 60s. Mobs of screaming teen girls because the were cute? Yeah great qualification. I wanna hold your hand? We all live in a yellow submarine? These are only some of the total drivel they produced.

And for what its worth Nirvana is also over rated. If Cobain hadnt decided to eat some shotgun Nirvana would not be as revered as they are now. I personally feel that Pearl Jam, Soundgarden and Aline in Chains were all much, much better bands that put out more solid albums.

Uh....No. I'm talking about Elvis

Thank You Very Much

Serious question..(I've often wondered, but didn't know how/where to find out).

Any of you music historians out there feel free to chime in..

But did Elvis ever write any of his music?

Same thing with Frank Sinatra and Tony Bennet..I loved their voices, but to me..I'm more in awe of the actual creation of songs out of nowhere/everywhere.

I love Nirvana, too.

You worship the decade of depressed, morose little flit boys and you diss Lemmy? :blink:

For some reason, I never considered "Grunge"depressing.

Probably similar to my love of the Blues..People that just listen to the surface of it feel it's sad..But if you can really crawl inside it..It functions as a form of release of any sad thought you may have..Maybe like needing to have a good cry to make you feel "all Better".

I liked Pearl Jam until I also heard Creed..then when Creed got way too much airplay..I also got tired of hearing Eddie Vedder...

I heard one of my Fav. Nirvana songs today on the radio this morning and I still can't get it out of my head.

It's probably the only one I liked that I didn't hear until after Cobain's death..

cNoxq_ttFrw&feature

I'm just as impressed with the music being put out by the surviving members (Dave Grohl/Fightin' Foo)

And thanks for making me look up "flit"

I didn't think I was Dissing Lemmoney..

Before ~four months ago, I'd never even heard of him..I'm still not sure if he isn't one of those fictional characters from the movie I never got around to seeing ("This is Spinal Tap"?)..Anyway..This "burnout"/drummer I work with seems to like him, so I'll keep trying to have an open mind.