VAN MORRISON SLAMS 'MEANINGLESS' BEATLES

One thing that separates the Beatles from bands like the Stones and The Who is the way they continued to evolve...I can count maybe a dozen songs by the Who or the Stones that I absolutely love..But they are pretty similar to each other..And their average stuff really sucks hard in most cases...Whereas...with the Beatles..It was like being able to enjoy several genera at the same time..And I probably only heard five bad songs from them, ever.

Van Morrison probably has over 40 songs that I really love..But some of his bad ones make you want to drink..

His influences are so subtle..maybe some Leadbelly and some Ray Charles??

The Stones never evolved into playing different styles of music? That is news to me. They covered everything from rock, soul, country, blues, folk, bluegrass, gospel; they even dabbled with some disco. The Who maybe but not so much but The Stones come on.

As far as The Beatles only having 5 bad songs, there are probably that many bad ones on the White Album alone but because they are Beatles songs people give them a pass. The early pop three chords repeating the same line over and over again while bobbing your head back and forth are borderline at best (Herman’s Hermits type crap) and forced them to have no choice but to evolve or they wouldn’t have been able to keep up.

All British bands that were worth their salt ripped off the old blues cats and Elvis to a certain extent that is why most of the best bands are from over seas and during that era.

As far as Van Morrison influences being subtle, he wanted to be one of those blues cats or the old Motown singers or like you said Ray Charles and you can throw in Solomon Burke as well. Just like Elvis he is also heavily influenced by those old time gospel albums as were a lot of people back then.

Arguing The Stones and The Beatles is kind of like arguing Coke vs. Pepsi, Magic vs. Larry. At the end of the day neither side will change their views but will show why they love their choice so much. :clap:woo:thumbs

“If music got to free your mind”

By "Evolve", I meant more of the Experimentation to create a new sound..Much like Jimi Hendrix insisting he could hear colours...or was it taste sounds?.

I'd almost forgotten both the Stones and the Beatles tried to "countryfy" one or two of their tunes..I always thought it was an inside joke between them to see just how bad they could sound and still see it climb the charts.

I dunno..Some of the stuff I've read on this thread will probably influence me a little..At least make me a little more reluctant to play certain music in the presence of other people??

I was sitting at a stoplight when this rusty pickup with NY plates pulled up next to me.

The two guys looked like steelworkers..One even appeared to be wearing a reflective vest you see road workers wear...The really scary thing about them???

They were comfortable enough in their masculinity? to be blaring "Tears for Fears" greatest hits with the windows down...full blast!!

And Now... 'cause of you, I'm going to have to see if I can find out who

is.

... They were the back street boys of the 60s. Mobs of screaming teen girls because the were cute? Yeah great qualification. I wanna hold your hand? We all live in a yellow submarine? These are only some of the total drivel they produced.

And for what its worth Nirvana is also over rated. If Cobain hadnt decided to eat some shotgun Nirvana would not be as revered as they are now. I personally feel that Pearl Jam, Soundgarden and Aline in Chains were all much, much better bands that put out more solid albums.

I could agree with you somewhat..Except the Beatles did more than just dance around to preprogrammed crap.

They actually played their own instruments and wrote their own music..

Sure some of them were "Silly Love Songs" but..what's wrong with that? (Paul McCartney)...Some of their music really did change the world.

You could make a case that almost any popular artist is over rated..It's just an expression of inner demons or Art...I still have difficulty understanding what so many see in Elvis P...Bob Dylan..KISS..Alabama..Michael Jackson..Kid Rock...Pop Music in general..

BTW..I liked Nirvana much more while Kurt was alive. To me..Nirvana was the more gutteral, raw, emotional..of the big 4 Seattle bands..But sometimes that's just what you need...You can only listen to "over polished" stuff like say...Asia so many times..sometimes you just need a quickie with no foreplay.

And Stevie Ray Vaughan is the reason I got meself a Fender Strat..

Now.. :dumdum how to play it?

If you ever find yourself dating a woman over thirty..Imerse yourself in some of his love songs.."Have I told you lately".."Moondance"..."Someone like you".."Into the Mystic"..(She'll think you're deep). :laughpound

I love Nirvana, too.

They along with Pearl Jam introduced me to one of my Fav. genera..And through them, I discovered (for myself) Sound Garden/Chris Cornell and Alice in Chains.

I still wish I was at the Slipknot Concert tonight..I almost stopped by Guitar Center to meet Joey Jordison after work today..(I would've if I'd remembered to wear a Nebraska Shirt today).

You worship the decade of depressed, morose little flit boys and you diss Lemmy? :blink:

For some reason, I never considered "Grunge"depressing.

Probably similar to my love of the Blues..People that just listen to the surface of it feel it's sad..But if you can really crawl inside it..It functions as a form of release of any sad thought you may have..Maybe like needing to have a good cry to make you feel "all Better".

I liked Pearl Jam until I also heard Creed..then when Creed got way too much airplay..I also got tired of hearing Eddie Vedder...

I heard one of my Fav. Nirvana songs today on the radio this morning and I still can't get it out of my head.

It's probably the only one I liked that I didn't hear until after Cobain's death..

cNoxq_ttFrw&feature

I'm just as impressed with the music being put out by the surviving members (Dave Grohl/Fightin' Foo)

And thanks for making me look up "flit"

I didn't think I was Dissing Lemmoney..

Before ~four months ago, I'd never even heard of him..I'm still not sure if he isn't one of those fictional characters from the movie I never got around to seeing ("This is Spinal Tap"?)..Anyway..This "burnout"/drummer I work with seems to like him, so I'll keep trying to have an open mind.

Grunge not so much depressing as the performers of it seemed to carry this "tortured soul" vibe with a heavy dose of warmed over teenage angst.

While my first post in this thread was basically tongue and cheek, Lemmy and Motorhead have kept rock and roll in it's most purest form. That is loud, brash, straight forward, don't need no M-TV bullsh*t to build a career, F'n great music. Lemmy is also one of the few along with players like Geddy Lee and Steve Harris to bring the bass guitar out front on the stage. By the way, Dave Grohl worships Lemmy and Motorhead.

If you ever find yourself dating a woman over thirty..Imerse yourself in some of his love songs.."Have I told you lately".."Moondance"..."Someone like you".."Into the Mystic"..(She'll think you're deep). :laughpound

I love Nirvana, too.

They along with Pearl Jam introduced me to one of my Fav. genera..And through them, I discovered (for myself) Sound Garden/Chris Cornell and Alice in Chains.

I still wish I was at the Slipknot Concert tonight..I almost stopped by Guitar Center to meet Joey Jordison after work today..(I would've if I'd remembered to wear a Nebraska Shirt today).

You worship the decade of depressed, morose little flit boys and you diss Lemmy? :blink:

Probably similar to my love of the Blues..People that just listen to the surface of it feel it's sad..But if you can really crawl inside it..It functions as a form of release of any sad thought you may have..Maybe like needing to have a good cry to make you feel "all Better".

I liked Pearl Jam until I also heard Creed..then when Creed got way too much airplay..I also got tired of hearing Eddie Vedder...

I heard one of my Fav. Nirvana songs today on the radio this morning and I still can't get it out of my head.

It's probably the only one I liked that I didn't hear until after Cobain's death..

cNoxq_ttFrw&feature

I'm just as impressed with the music being put out by the surviving members (Dave Grohl/Fightin' Foo)

Before ~four months ago, I'd never even heard of him..I'm still not sure if he isn't one of those fictional characters from the movie I never got around to seeing ("This is Spinal Tap"?)..Anyway..This "burnout"/drummer I work with seems to like him, so I'll keep trying to have an open mind.

Grunge not so much depressing as the performers of it seemed to carry this "tortured soul" vibe with a heavy dose of warmed over teenage angst.

While my first post in this thread was basically tongue and cheek, Lemmy and Motorhead have kept rock and roll in it's most purest form. That is loud, brash, straight forward, don't need no M-TV bullsh*t to build a career, F'n great music. Lemmy is also one of the few along with players like Geddy Lee and Steve Harris to bring the bass guitar out front on the stage. By the way, Dave Grohl worships Lemmy and Motorhead.

Maybe so...

But he ain't no Les Claypool

I love Nirvana, too.

cNoxq_ttFrw&feature

Maybe so...

But he ain't no Les Claypool

I'd be willing to bet that if Les didn't know about this staple,

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ImrtZRrS70w

There wouldn't have been a "My name is mud".

THAT's the song I heard for the first time a few months ago.

I'm usually very good at voice recognition, but when I heard "Ace of Spades", I thought someone uncovered an old Eddie Money B-side..Song does grow on you, though.

I don't know how I managed to miss so many "staples"..I guess ... must chalk it up to a misspent youth..growing up in small-town Nebraska..where the only radio station in the county played

music all day on Sundays after Church.

mbs64GvGgPU

I'm usually very good at voice recognition, but when I heard "Ace of Spades", I thought someone uncovered an old Eddie Money B-side..Song does grow on you, though.

I don't know how I managed to miss so many "staples"..I guess ... must chalk it up to a misspent youth..growing up in small-town Nebraska..where the only radio station in the county played

mbs64GvGgPU

Lemmy - Eddie Money, I gotta be honest that's the first time I've ever heard of that comparison. But then again I'm one of the very few on the planet who thinks Devo kicks ass. I grew up in a small town too, but I had my stash of Hendrix, Alice Cooper and Kiss records to take care of the music deficiencies.

I still have difficulty understanding what some see in KISS

Amen!

KISS is not relevant as musicians, but as performing and marketing geniuses (hated to say that btw). They knew how sell their product and it definitely paid off, but listening to just the music alone just flat out sucks. Probably better quit mentioning KISS before Gene finds out and wants loyalties from HB for mentioning KISS <_<

I still have difficulty understanding what some see in KISS

Amen!

KISS is not relevant as musicians, but as performing and marketing geniuses (hated to say that btw). They knew how sell their product and it definitely paid off, but listening to just the music alone just flat out sucks. Probably better quit mentioning KISS before Gene finds out and wants loyalties from HB for mentioning KISS <_<

Musicianship, on that basis alone I think most would concur. They did play a rather banal and homogenized genre of hard rock.

But the list would be endless as to who else could be on that particular subject, including some of these groups or individuals are revered by some here.

I mean they can't all have the musical talent of Paris Hilton......... :lol::sarcasm {Aside from her mastery of the skin flute mind you}

...I mean they can't all have the musical talent of Paris Hilton......... :lol::sarcasm {Aside from her mastery of the skin flute mind you}

Did anyone else hear anything about Britney Spears having a "labia slip"? at her concert last night?

Heard bits and pieces about it on the local radio morning show, then they said the videos were all taken down.

They also threw around terms like "Frontal Thong" and "Nutt Bubble" .

Lemmy - Eddie Money, I gotta be honest that's the first time I've ever heard of that comparison. But then again I'm one of the very few on the planet who thinks Devo kicks ass. I grew up in a small town too, but I had my stash of Hendrix, Alice Cooper and Kiss records to take care of the music deficiencies.

Yeah..I'm probably the only one who thinks Ozzy Osbourne sounds exactly like Bette Davis..AFTER her stroke :laughpound

Speaking of Devo..I heard today that they are about to release a new album..

Devo to release first album in nearly two decades

Devo-performing-at-the-Ro-001.jpg