cody green injured...(confirmed, minor)

Seriously the way some people on here talk about Cody Green on here you would think we are talking about Blaine Gabbert or Chase Daniel or something. What's with all the sarcasm when talking about how good he is? Oh hes the next coming of Frazier or Gill!!! What if he is? Isn't that a good thing to look forward to instead of mocking the fact that we could potentially have a freshman starting at qb? It will be hard for him to learn the plays and reads but my God can we support one of our own instead of tearing him down? Some of our fans are bi-polar, either we say we are getting the next Adrian Peterson (Lucky) or mock the fact that we have a very talented player.

Seriously the way some people on here talk about Cody Green on here you would think we are talking about Blaine Gabbert or Chase Daniel or something. What's with all the sarcasm when talking about how good he is? Oh hes the next coming of Frazier or Gill!!! What if he is? Isn't that a good thing to look forward to instead of mocking the fact that we could potentially have a freshman starting at qb? It will be hard for him to learn the plays and reads but my God can we support one of our own instead of tearing him down? Some of our fans are bi-polar, either we say we are getting the next Adrian Peterson (Lucky) or mock the fact that we have a very talented player.

:yeah Couldn't agree more. I know that the board experts are pounding it through everybody's skull that Green won't be starting, but wouldn't it be kind of nice IF (and I am saying IF) he did? That means his talent level is beyond what several other more experienced quarterbacks. Nevertheless, give this guy a break. While I think some of the comments are being directed at the Husker fans who are pimping him up, some of the posts do seem to be mocking him.

No one on here is cutting down Cody at all. We are all very excited about his potential. What people are commenting about is the unrealistic expectations that alot of fans have about him. The truth is none of the recent good QBs in the country, except Tyrell Pryor, have started as true freshman. Not Vince Young, Colt McCoy, Sam Bradford or Chase Daniel. Our offense is way to complicated for him to start over guys like Zac Lee, who have been in the system for two years.

So again, the sarcasm is directed towards the fan expectations of him, and is no way directed towards Cody at all.

Any sarcasm coming from me is directed solely at those who have him on a Heisman shortlist before he's ever even taken part in a practice at Nebraska.

Think about what happened last year. How many defensive backs and linebackers did Pelini redshirt, even though we had dire need for them? He understands the importance of investing in the future. Pelini is NOT going to throw a true freshman into the fire, especially when he has a redshirt freshman and a juco transfer who have already spent a year training in the program. Not going to happen. No way.

Feel free to save this quote and force me to eat my words later.

When we say Cody Green needs to redshirt we are not saying he is not talented.

It is saying it's what is best for him and for the team.

Of course you are free to star-gaze and dream that he might start as a freshman based on his highly-sought after status, but that is piling on expectations. It's what made it so easy to turn on guys like Lucky.