Jayhawks Briscoe suspended from team

HSKRNOKC

Another one bites the dust

LAWRENCE, Kan. -- Second-team All-Big 12 wide receiver Dezmon Briscoe and junior defensive tackle Jamal Greene have been suspended from the Kansas program for an undisclosed violation of team rules.

Neither of the players has practiced with the Jayhawks since the team began spring work on March 9, Coach Mark Mangino said Friday.

"He's been out since we began practice," Mangino said of Briscoe. "I'll review his case next week. Him and Jamal Greene both."

Briscoe had 92 receptions for school-record totals of 1,407 yards and 15 touchdowns last season as a sophomore, ranking fourth nationally with 108.2 receiving yards a game. He earned offensive MVP honors at the Jayhawks' Insight Bowl victory over Minnesota and shared the team's most improved offensive player with Kerry Meier. Greene had 21 tackles, six tackles for losses and two sacks for the Jayhawks last season. He started eight games, including the Jayhawks' final seven games.

The Jayhawks will continue spring practice until their spring game on April 11.

Wow....Mangino has a big, big decision to make here. I wonder what truly happened....

One rumor that sounded legit was that he didn't start his winter workouts until mid-February, and missed several classes. The reason given was that he was elsewhere, working out with Dez Bryant. Since I read it on a message board, it must be true, right?

If true, and I'm not saying it is, it's certainly a ship that can be easily righted if Briscoe gets back on the right path and stays there. I honestly doubt he misses too much playing time, if any, as a result of the infractions.

One player is back at practice, but Briscoe remains suspended. He was rumored to be reinstated but messed up again. (Don't take that as fact, as I am reporting it 17th hand, minimum).

Been a heck of a spring to go through for the big guy.

Whatever the real reason, Briscoe has got to pull his head out of his butt. Briscoe maybe doesn't realize this, but he needs Kansas more than Kansas needs him. He's got aspirations of a draft after his upcoming junior year. If he can't toe the line, his shot at the NFL diminishes. All my opinion, of course.

this is what mangino had to say the other day....

Suspended indefinitely for undisclosed violation of team rules

Meeting with Mangino Monday to discuss what Briscoe needs to do to get reinstated. Says Mangino, "When he has those tasks completed, when he meets all the guidelines that I set for him, I’ll reinstate him, but not until then.”

link

• 2 weeks later...