Pelini: Helu's looked tremendous

Yeah, I also am a believer that every position is up for grabs. There are very few guys on defense that should feel real secure with knowing they are a starter...and that is a good thing, they need to be pushed and challenged, and will be better for it.

:yeah

Here's kinda my rough break down.

Offense

Line: Pretty much set minus the right guard position, which has D.J. Jones as the front runner but Henry could be making a run. Don't forget about Christensen as well.

Backs: Helu and Q are the 1 and 2 punch. Quarterback position is up for grabs of course, but from hearing the coaches (and following my own personal wants) I think Lee will eventually be named starter but it is still way too early to tell.

WR's: Very open position but we pretty much know most of the guys would make an impact this year in Paul and Bell. Hopefully Mendoza will be able to wow/impress some people over there.

Tight Ends: McNeil and Young are the most popular returning starters, but they both proved last season that their run blocking game wasn't that good. If somebody like a Redshirt Freshman Ben Cotton can step up I can see quite a few rotations at that position

Defense

Line: Suh is (all "competition" talk aside) the returner at DT and will probably have Crick next to him at the other DT spot, but Steinkuhler and Moore could make a run at some playing time given they have both have impressed coaches. Barry Turner will probably get his DE spot back if he overcome his last few mental hurdles and get back to his playing ability, but other than that I'm not sure about who the backups would be and who the other starter would be. The only other name that pops in my head right now is Josh Williams but I know i'm forgetting some.

DBacks: Extremely open for right now. Asante, O'Hanlon, and Thenarse are names that pop out to me, but my knowledge is a little weak as far as who could be playing back there

Corners: Knowledge on this spot is low too, other than the fact that Hagg has switched over there and after his big game against Clemson I'm sure he has been impressing a lot of coaches.

Linebackers: Dillard needs to get back on good terms with the coaches and prove he can play. Kolton Koehler and Matthew May are in good position to get starting time, but there are also many young guys like Redshirt Freshman Will Compton who have been impressing the coaches a lot and could get quite a few reps this fall.

Yeah, I also am a believer that every position is up for grabs. There are very few guys on defense that should feel real secure with knowing they are a starter...and that is a good thing, they need to be pushed and challenged, and will be better for it.

Offense

Line: Pretty much set minus the right guard position, which has D.J. Jones as the front runner but Henry could be making a run. Don't forget about Christensen as well.

Backs: Helu and Q are the 1 and 2 punch. Quarterback position is up for grabs of course, but from hearing the coaches (and following my own personal wants) I think Lee will eventually be named starter but it is still way too early to tell.

WR's: Very open position but we pretty much know most of the guys would make an impact this year in Paul and Bell. Hopefully Mendoza will be able to wow/impress some people over there.

Tight Ends: McNeil and Young are the most popular returning starters, but they both proved last season that their run blocking game wasn't that good. If somebody like a Redshirt Freshman Ben Cotton can step up I can see quite a few rotations at that position

Defense

Line: Suh is (all "competition" talk aside) the returner at DT and will probably have Crick next to him at the other DT spot, but Steinkuhler and Moore could make a run at some playing time given they have both have impressed coaches. Barry Turner will probably get his DE spot back if he overcome his last few mental hurdles and get back to his playing ability, but other than that I'm not sure about who the backups would be and who the other starter would be. The only other name that pops in my head right now is Josh Williams but I know i'm forgetting some.

DBacks: Extremely open for right now. Asante, O'Hanlon, and Thenarse are names that pop out to me, but my knowledge is a little weak as far as who could be playing back there

Corners: Knowledge on this spot is low too, other than the fact that Hagg has switched over there and after his big game against Clemson I'm sure he has been impressing a lot of coaches.

Linebackers: Dillard needs to get back on good terms with the coaches and prove he can play. Kolton Koehler and Matthew May are in good position to get starting time, but there are also many young guys like Redshirt Freshman Will Compton who have been impressing the coaches a lot and could get quite a few reps this fall.

Excellent post sir. Not much I can disagree with! :thumbs

I think all the DB spots are pretty open. Nobody distinguished themselves last season. Asante and Thenarse looked good at times and terrible at others. O'Hanlon was more consistent, IMO, but had some bone-head mistakes also.

Whoever can learn the system will play. I'm not even looking for great play at this point - just mediocre would be an improvement.

They're still waiting for O'Hanlon to finish his 40. I mean the coaching staff didn't even use a stopwatch but a sun dial rather to clock this guy's 40 time. He is exactly what has been wrong with this D for the past 4 or 5 years. You can't put someone back there that runs a 40 in the 5's and expect him to cover a 4.3 or 4.4 guy.

I think all the DB spots are pretty open. Nobody distinguished themselves last season. Asante and Thenarse looked good at times and terrible at others. O'Hanlon was more consistent, IMO, but had some bone-head mistakes also.

Whoever can learn the system will play. I'm not even looking for great play at this point - just mediocre would be an improvement.

They're still waiting for O'Hanlon to finish his 40. I mean the coaching staff didn't even use a stopwatch but a sun dial rather to clock this guy's 40 time. He is exactly what has been wrong with this D for the past 4 or 5 years. You can't put someone back there that runs a 40 in the 5's and expect him to cover a 4.3 or 4.4 guy.

See O'Hanlon covering CJ Spiller in the last 2 minutes of the Gator Bowl. Spiller is supposedly a 4.3 guy...O'Hanlon covered him perfectly. I don't remember who said it...but half of speed in football is coaching. (ie being/going where you are supposed to be)

Offense

Defense

The other DE you are looking for would be Pierre Allen, Sr. He started every game after Turner went down and did a great job considering his youth and inexperience. The DB's are wide open, but Hagg moved to Safety. I would look at Blue, West, Amukamura, and JC transfer Gomes I think is his name at CB. I would argue that Koehler and May were stop gaps and won't see the field much this year, could be wrong. Didn't May get moved to SS or was that speculation?

Does anybody know who will punt for us?

Offense

Defense

Excellent post sir. Not much I can disagree with! :thumbs

I agree. But at WR I think Holt will make a major impact

See O'Hanlon covering CJ Spiller in the last 2 minutes of the Gator Bowl. Spiller is supposedly a 4.3 guy...O'Hanlon covered him perfectly. I don't remember who said it...but half of speed in football is coaching. (ie being/going where you are supposed to be)

I love it when people shoot down dumb posts with hard facts. That was perfect coverage by O'Hanlon, and it showed that he has speed, because Spiller is crazy fast. 5.0 40 my ass. Yes we have to have better team speed, but good coaching works wonders.

My money is on Brett Maher, a redshirt Freshman out of Kearney.

Am I going crazy or did the rivals roster list Henry as our punter?

I'll have to check on that...

You're probably right. There was a rumor floating around that Henery was going to do double duty. I hope it doesn't affect his PK ability.

My money is on Brett Maher, a redshirt Freshman out of Kearney.

Am I going crazy or did the rivals roster list Henry as our punter?

I'll have to check on that...

You're probably right. There was a rumor floating around that Henery was going to do double duty. I hope it doesn't affect his PK ability.

I remember reading an article saying that Henery might try some punting this year and see how it works out. Unfortunately, I can't find the article.

Personally, I don't want Henery kicking punts. It's just one more way for him to be out on the field, getting hurt, and ruining that golden leg of his. 57 year field goals or bust, Henery. :box