Pelini: Helu's looked tremendous

By BRIAN CHRISTOPHERSON / The Associated Press

Saturday, Mar 28, 2009 - 07:05:38 pm CDT

A guy gains a little weight and it’s all the talk. So it goes for Roy Helu, who showed up to spring football looking more Hulkish, toting 222 pounds, 15 more than he had at the end of last season.

For any Husker backers worried the extra bulk might slow the running back and take the hurdling out of his game, the words of Bo Pelini after Saturday’s practice should ease concern.

The Husker head coach was heavy on praise for Helu, saying he has looked tremendous through three spring practices.

“He’s really picked up where he left off,” Pelini said. “I think he’s bigger, he’s faster. I think he’s feeling good. He looks like he’s smaller and he’s actually carrying more weight. Obviously the strength staff did a tremendous job and you got to give credit to Roy. He worked his tail off and it’s paying off for him.”

Coming off a team-best 803 rushing yards as a sophomore last year, Helu recently ran the fastest sprint time he’s had at NU.

“He looks pretty special,” Pelini said.

Pelini seems to like the 1-2 punch he has developing with Helu and fellow junior Quentin Castille, coming off a career-high 125 yards in Nebraska’s Gator Bowl win.

“Quentin looks good, he looks fast,” Pelini said. “I like our backs.”

* Pelini visits California: After Saturday morning’s practice, Pelini was to take a flight to speak at a coaching clinic in Los Angeles after an invite from USC’s head coach.

“It’s a really good opportunity. Pete Carroll called and asked me if I’d speak at the clinic,” Pelini said. “That’s a big recruiting base for us right now, to be out there in front of all these coaches. They get to know me better. I get to know them better. It’s a positive. Obviously, this time of year, it's not the ideal situation to have to go out there. I wish I could stay here and watch this film. It makes for a busy weekend, but it’s going to be well worth it because I get exposed to a lot of guys that otherwise I wouldn’t be exposed to.”

It’s no surprise Carroll called on Pelini. Carroll has long been a supporter of the NU coach, working with him as an assistant in the NFL at San Francisco. Carroll then asked Pelini to come to New England with him after receiving the head coaching job there.

It was Carroll who recommended Pelini to Monte Kiffin, who then passed on the recommendation to Frank Solich when he was searching for a Husker defensive coordinator in 2003.

Pelini was to return from the speaking engagement Saturday night.

n Green’s status: True freshman quarterback Cody Green is slowly getting involved in the spring practices despite a minor hip injury. He has started throwing some passes.

“The doctors weren’t going to let him throw all weekend, but he threw (Friday) and had no side effects. He’s feeling fine,” Pelini said.

“We’re just trying to bring him along slowly. It’s really just how he feels. The doctors are going to be cautious with him right now because we don’t want him to irritate it again. And right now he’s pain-free. He’s moving around a little bit more and more every day. It’s just not a time of year you want to rush something like that with a kid that age. … He has time. We’re getting a lot accomplished with him in the classroom. He’s still learning, trust me.”

* Pelini likes his Defensive tackles: Pelini likes the depth that seems to be shaping up at the defensive tackle spots.

He’s been impressed by some of the other players looking to gain time along with senior Ndamukong Suh.

“I think (Jared) Crick had a great winter. He’s playing well. Baker Steinkuhler is showing, I think, that he can be a pretty special player if he just keeps working,” Pelini said. “I like what I’ve seen out of David Harvey. And Terrence Moore has had a tremendous first couple of days of spring. I think we’re going to be pretty good there.”

As for the defensive end spots, Nebraska will need some young players to rise up to provide good depth behind senior Barry Turner and junior Pierre Allen.

At this point, it seems that redshirt freshman Cameron Meredith is backing up Turner at left end, while redshirt freshman Josh Williams is behind Pierre Allen on the right side.

*Looking to clean up: Effort is not the issue, Pelini said, but there have just been too many mental miscues for his liking so far this spring.

“I won’t be satisfied until it’s perfect out there, and we’re far from that. We’re only Day 3, but I just want to see more progress,” said Pelini, whose team worked out in full pads on Saturday for the first time this spring. “Our players just need to learn that we need to be more accountable. We have to have high expectations every time we step on the football field.”

The Huskers will practice again Sunday night and then have a couple days off.

* Safety switch: Junior Eric Hagg’s switch from cornerback to safety seems to be working out. Pelini said Hagg can play either the free or strong safety spot, but has probably worked mostly on the strong side.

“He’s very instinctive back there,” Pelini said. “He looks pretty natural at the position, but he’s got a lot to learn.”

That same learning process is going on for Dejon Gomes, the junior cornerback fresh from the junior college ranks.

“He’s swimming in it mentally, a lot of new things he’s been exposed to,” Pelini said. “Athletically, he shows some good things. He’s physical, tough and shows good instincts. He just doesn’t understand the system.”

It would really be nice to see a great back this year...seems like it has been a while since we have had anyone coming into a season that we could depend on. :clap

By BRIAN CHRISTOPHERSON / The Associated Press

Saturday, Mar 28, 2009 - 07:05:38 pm CDT

A guy gains a little weight and it’s all the talk. So it goes for Roy Helu, who showed up to spring football looking more Hulkish, toting 222 pounds, 15 more than he had at the end of last season.

For any Husker backers worried the extra bulk might slow the running back and take the hurdling out of his game, the words of Bo Pelini after Saturday’s practice should ease concern.

The Husker head coach was heavy on praise for Helu, saying he has looked tremendous through three spring practices.

“He’s really picked up where he left off,” Pelini said. “I think he’s bigger, he’s faster. I think he’s feeling good. He looks like he’s smaller and he’s actually carrying more weight. Obviously the strength staff did a tremendous job and you got to give credit to Roy. He worked his tail off and it’s paying off for him.”

Coming off a team-best 803 rushing yards as a sophomore last year, Helu recently ran the fastest sprint time he’s had at NU.

“He looks pretty special,” Pelini said.

Pelini seems to like the 1-2 punch he has developing with Helu and fellow junior Quentin Castille, coming off a career-high 125 yards in Nebraska’s Gator Bowl win.

“Quentin looks good, he looks fast,” Pelini said. “I like our backs.”

* Pelini visits California: After Saturday morning’s practice, Pelini was to take a flight to speak at a coaching clinic in Los Angeles after an invite from USC’s head coach.

“It’s a really good opportunity. Pete Carroll called and asked me if I’d speak at the clinic,” Pelini said. “That’s a big recruiting base for us right now, to be out there in front of all these coaches. They get to know me better. I get to know them better. It’s a positive. Obviously, this time of year, it's not the ideal situation to have to go out there. I wish I could stay here and watch this film. It makes for a busy weekend, but it’s going to be well worth it because I get exposed to a lot of guys that otherwise I wouldn’t be exposed to.”

It’s no surprise Carroll called on Pelini. Carroll has long been a supporter of the NU coach, working with him as an assistant in the NFL at San Francisco. Carroll then asked Pelini to come to New England with him after receiving the head coaching job there.

It was Carroll who recommended Pelini to Monte Kiffin, who then passed on the recommendation to Frank Solich when he was searching for a Husker defensive coordinator in 2003.

Pelini was to return from the speaking engagement Saturday night.

n Green’s status: True freshman quarterback Cody Green is slowly getting involved in the spring practices despite a minor hip injury. He has started throwing some passes.

“The doctors weren’t going to let him throw all weekend, but he threw (Friday) and had no side effects. He’s feeling fine,” Pelini said.

“We’re just trying to bring him along slowly. It’s really just how he feels. The doctors are going to be cautious with him right now because we don’t want him to irritate it again. And right now he’s pain-free. He’s moving around a little bit more and more every day. It’s just not a time of year you want to rush something like that with a kid that age. … He has time. We’re getting a lot accomplished with him in the classroom. He’s still learning, trust me.”

* Pelini likes his Defensive tackles: Pelini likes the depth that seems to be shaping up at the defensive tackle spots.

He’s been impressed by some of the other players looking to gain time along with senior Ndamukong Suh.

“I think (Jared) Crick had a great winter. He’s playing well. Baker Steinkuhler is showing, I think, that he can be a pretty special player if he just keeps working,” Pelini said. “I like what I’ve seen out of David Harvey. And Terrence Moore has had a tremendous first couple of days of spring. I think we’re going to be pretty good there.”

As for the defensive end spots, Nebraska will need some young players to rise up to provide good depth behind senior Barry Turner and junior Pierre Allen.

At this point, it seems that redshirt freshman Cameron Meredith is backing up Turner at left end, while redshirt freshman Josh Williams is behind Pierre Allen on the right side.

*Looking to clean up: Effort is not the issue, Pelini said, but there have just been too many mental miscues for his liking so far this spring.

“I won’t be satisfied until it’s perfect out there, and we’re far from that. We’re only Day 3, but I just want to see more progress,” said Pelini, whose team worked out in full pads on Saturday for the first time this spring. “Our players just need to learn that we need to be more accountable. We have to have high expectations every time we step on the football field.”

The Huskers will practice again Sunday night and then have a couple days off.

* Safety switch: Junior Eric Hagg’s switch from cornerback to safety seems to be working out. Pelini said Hagg can play either the free or strong safety spot, but has probably worked mostly on the strong side.

“He’s very instinctive back there,” Pelini said. “He looks pretty natural at the position, but he’s got a lot to learn.”

That same learning process is going on for Dejon Gomes, the junior cornerback fresh from the junior college ranks.

“He’s swimming in it mentally, a lot of new things he’s been exposed to,” Pelini said. “Athletically, he shows some good things. He’s physical, tough and shows good instincts. He just doesn’t understand the system.”

It would really be nice to see a great back this year...seems like it has been a while since we have had anyone coming into a season that we could depend on. :clap

well...we know hagg can hit and i think that's the bigger news....think there's any chance asante loses his spot to him?

I think all the DB spots are pretty open. Nobody distinguished themselves last season. Asante and Thenarse looked good at times and terrible at others. O'Hanlon was more consistent, IMO, but had some bone-head mistakes also.

Whoever can learn the system will play. I'm not even looking for great play at this point - just mediocre would be an improvement.

Yeah, I also am a believer that every position is up for grabs. There are very few guys on defense that should feel real secure with knowing they are a starter...and that is a good thing, they need to be pushed and challenged, and will be better for it.

I think all the DB spots are pretty open. Nobody distinguished themselves last season. Asante and Thenarse looked good at times and terrible at others. O'Hanlon was more consistent, IMO, but had some bone-head mistakes also.

Whoever can learn the system will play. I'm not even looking for great play at this point - just mediocre would be an improvement.

While I agree Asante looked like he was out of position at times last year, some of that was due to another DB blowing their assignment, forcing Larry to come in late and looking like he was out of position. He was out of position a couple times, but on others he was trying to make up for someone else's screwup.

Regardless, he WILL be pushed this year and if he doesn't have the mental part down, he will be sitting on the bench.

Competition, she is a great ding, mon!

He has definitely packed on weight, and the weight that is fat is perhaps not for the best.

I haven't heard anyone say the weight was fat...in fact everything points to it being muscle. (references to weight gained by putting in time in the weight room, etc.)

:yeah Bo even said that the weight could be attributed to his work in the weight room...which translates to it is more muscle mass than it is fat.

With a new quarterback, and WRs getting their first work as the main targets, NU will need to need to have a strong running game, a solid defense and difference making special teams play. Sounds like we have all that. This team might just have some big bowl game potential. :clap

He has definitely packed on weight, and the weight that is fat is perhaps not for the best.

Generally if you look smaller and gained weight it is not fat, especially when the strength staff's great job is acknowledged.....