The Middle Screen Pass

Ahh, yes. Thank you, Bill Callahan, for being the sole reason we can move the ball at all. Even when you're an assistant in New York.

Without you, we'd still be stuck in the Stone Ages of football, only taking advantage of teams with smaller defenses (like the whole Big 12, now shifting to nickel and dime packages to defend the spread). But, since you brought the brand-new WCO to Nebraska (something the Blackshirts NEVER destroyed... repeatedly), we instantly became relevant and 'up-to-date.'

By the way, we don't run the WCO anymore. Not even close.

1) I honestly don't know what football games you watch, but it must not be Husker games. We move the ball very effectively without this play mixed in. Considering we only ran it a couple times a game, obviously it wasn't our bread and butter.

2) We did pretty well against the Clemson defense in the second half. Maybe it wasn't consistent, but we still played against them pretty well and they are far better than any Big 12 defense.

3) We run what many have dubbed the "Spest Coast" Offense (there are a few variations of the name). We use shotgun formations to run the football and base sets to pass. The West Coast Offense is highly based off of base set passes/passing formations. Every now and then we mix it up, but we still have many West Coast Offense links in our chain.

:cop: There we go, I laid down the law on him so go easy guys.

Ahh, yes. Thank you, Bill Callahan, for being the sole reason we can move the ball at all. Even when you're an assistant in New York.

Without you, we'd still be stuck in the Stone Ages of football, only taking advantage of teams with smaller defenses (like the whole Big 12, now shifting to nickel and dime packages to defend the spread). But, since you brought the brand-new WCO to Nebraska (something the Blackshirts NEVER destroyed... repeatedly), we instantly became relevant and 'up-to-date.'

By the way, we don't run the WCO anymore. Not even close.

1) I honestly don't know what football games you watch, but it must not be Husker games. We move the ball very effectively without this play mixed in. Considering we only ran it a couple times a game, obviously it wasn't our bread and butter.

2) We did pretty well against the Clemson defense in the second half. Maybe it wasn't consistent, but we still played against them pretty well and they are far better than any Big 12 defense.

3) We run what many have dubbed the "Spest Coast" Offense (there are a few variations of the name). We use shotgun formations to run the football and base sets to pass. The West Coast Offense is highly based off of base set passes/passing formations. Every now and then we mix it up, but we still have many West Coast Offense links in our chain.

:cop: There we go, I laid down the law on him so go easy guys.

I think as far as your 1) and 2) go you were missing his sarcasm. 3) is spot on though.

best play in our playbook against an aggressive defense on 3rd and medium/long.

I kept thinking to myself that we didn't run it nearly as much as we did in 06 and 07. That play was probably the best thing that Cally did for this program. Was ran beautifully with Marlon vs Baylor in 08. That play was best suited for Marlon, as he did some great things in the open field.

best play in our playbook against an aggressive defense on 3rd and medium/long.

I kept thinking to myself that we didn't run it nearly as much as we did in 06 and 07. That play was probably the best thing that Cally did for this program. Was ran beautifully with Marlon vs Baylor in 08. That play was best suited for Marlon, as he did some great things in the open field.

My perception of things was that we tried running it quite a bit early on, but Joe had a lot of problems getting the pass to the runningback without it being batted down. Not sure exactly what the problem was, but I remember expecting to see it several times and they would run it but it wouldn't work.

I also remember at last year's spring game we saw that play at least 5 times.

I also love this play. It is actually called a choice route for the IB. If the mike lb is absent, the IB goes through teh fake handoff and goes about 5 yards or so deep and turns around and sits for the pass. If the mike is present, then instead of sitting 5 yards deep, he goes through the fake hand off and goes 5 yards down teh middle, then breaks to the outside. Often times there will be a slot receiver or TE on the same side clearing the olb from the play. I don't think it's always suppose to be a screen. Since it is play-action, you will see some penetration from the front 4 because they think it is run.

I also love this play. It is actually called a choice route for the IB. If the mike lb is absent, the IB goes through teh fake handoff and goes about 5 yards or so deep and turns around and sits for the pass. If the mike is present, then instead of sitting 5 yards deep, he goes through the fake hand off and goes 5 yards down teh middle, then breaks to the outside. Often times there will be a slot receiver or TE on the same side clearing the olb from the play. I don't think it's always suppose to be a screen. Since it is play-action, you will see some penetration from the front 4 because they think it is run.

1996 Fiesta Bowl Phillips scored on a screen pass off of counter sweep action, with twin recievers.