The Middle Screen Pass

Am I the only one who absolutely loves this play? It's so effective, and we've been running the exact same one for ~4 years now and it still gets HUGE yardage when ran effectively.

Thank you Bill Callahan for this gem of a play.

Well, if I never see the fake screen to one direction, then the actual screen to the other side, it will be OK by me....

I think he is talking about a pass just past the line to the end or a running back coming across the middle. It is a nice play when run right, but it also can hang the receiver out to dry if it isn't. There are a lot of injuries with teams that run it all the time...so you also have to be selective of when you do it. If the linebackers start sitting waiting for it they will go head hunting when you throw it.

I do like the play however, very good selection on 1st down IMHO, as long as your not doing it all the time as stated above.

I think he is talking about a pass just past the line to the end or a running back coming across the middle. It is a nice play when run right, but it also can hang the receiver out to dry if it isn't. There are a lot of injuries with teams that run it all the time...so you also have to be selective of when you do it. If the linebackers start sitting waiting for it they will go head hunting when you throw it.

I do like the play however, very good selection on 1st down IMHO, as long as your not doing it all the time as stated above.

No, not that play either. Watch the video please.

What is in the video is more of a fake handoff quick pass to the outside more than in the middle. Also very effective if your receivers can clear the outside by taking the defenders away from the play and the LB's don't get over to cover fast enough, leaving your back the opportunity to pick up good yards possibly.

What is in the video is more of a fake handoff quick pass to the outside more than in the middle. Also very effective if your receivers can clear the outside by taking the defenders away from the play and the LB's don't get over to cover fast enough, leaving your back the opportunity to pick up good yards possibly.

Jailbreak or tunnel screen. Screens must be caught behind or on LOS in order for OL/blockers to block down field before pass.

Jailbreak or tunnel screen. Screens must be caught behind or on LOS in order for OL/blockers to block down field before pass. You are talking about a middle screen also a slip screen.

Where do you get that it's a pass to the outside? He fakes to the runningback who runs through and then turns around, and he passes it to that same runningback, right in the middle of the field... :dunno

Where do you get that it's a pass to the outside? He fakes to the runningback who runs through and then turns around, and he passes it to that same runningback, right in the middle of the field... :dunno

I guess it all depends on your perspective of where the middle of the field is. He is passing off towards the right side, my "middle of the field" would probably be in front of the o-line and in between the guards...more of a slant pass I suppose, or with the running back slipping through the line in front of the center to catch the ball. But he is always passing towards the right half of the field, at or behind the line on these plays. Really more of a shuttle type pass (though not really shuttled) or screen.