The Middle Screen Pass

that play is pretty much the definition of middle screen. I don't see either how thats anything but middle. its between the tackles, and its pretty much an A gap fake.

the only thing i don't like about this play is that one of the reasons it works so well is because other teams have had so much pass rush on us in the past that they can't tell that we are letting them by for a screen...

A screen pass refers to a screened receiver, one that is sheilded from tacklers, usually by the O-line. Typically behine the LOS. I beleive you're referring to a PAP to HB in the middle. This play is very effective against a D that has sold out to the pass rush. This has been a staple since teams stopped fearing our run game. In the past they would stack the box, thus limiting these opportunities but that would open a deep route, often as not a deep TE drag route could pick up 20-30 yards routinely.

Am I the only one who absolutely loves this play? It's so effective, and we've been running the exact same one for ~4 years now and it still gets HUGE yardage when ran effectively.

Thank you Bill Callahan for this gem of a play.

Yup agree 100%. Most of my friends won't admit it but we owe Billy C our thanks for updating the offense.

When run effectively this play is amazing. Helu had a couple of good runs off of it this year, if I'm not mistaken. It was used in the 90's, however, as one of the posters pointed out.

:sarcasm That is because they couldn't get our own offensive line out of the way at times first part of the year - they had to come up with something.

Seriously though, it is all about terminology...we all see the video, we all see what they are trying to accomplish. We could argue the terminology all day long, and if Bo was here, he would probably tell us we are all wrong - who knows. I know I will never be an offensive coordinator...I just like the game. I see what they are doing, and have a pretty good idea why they are trying to do it. And I know I want to see it get us points, so that we have more points at the end of the 4th quarter than the other team. I know that if we do that, we win the game. To me, that is the most important thing...the rest is why I figure they hired Watson to figure it out.

:horns2

When run effectively this play is amazing. Helu had a couple of good runs off of it this year, if I'm not mistaken. It was used in the 90's, however, as one of the posters pointed out.

And in the '70s, except the I back would go the the slot (yes, TO ran 4 wide receivers), and the dump pass after a fake would be to the full back.

BTW I REALLY miss the inside reverse trap to the short slot, Johnny Rodgers ran it so well.

Ok yeah that is a great play. I thought you meant the one that we still use shown at the 4:25 mark here

Wow!

Great video by our own David Pillen!

IPczLvhPJuk

I still prefer the play action pass, inside reverse trap, or even the old Fullback trap in the fourth quarter.

But..in some ways...we'll never be totally back until the return of some of the option shown in this video.

Excellent play and yes, it is a middle screen. Works really when the the defense is getting penetration and even better when they blitz!! I would have liked to see a speedster like Mendoza get more plays like this, pretty much the same as the Chargers do with Sproles.

:yeah Mendoza would probably be the best choice as far as running that play goes.

Ahh, yes. Thank you, Bill Callahan, for being the sole reason we can move the ball at all. Even when you're an assistant in New York.

Without you, we'd still be stuck in the Stone Ages of football, only taking advantage of teams with smaller defenses (like the whole Big 12, now shifting to nickel and dime packages to defend the spread). But, since you brought the brand-new WCO to Nebraska (something the Blackshirts NEVER destroyed... repeatedly), we instantly became relevant and 'up-to-date.'

By the way, we don't run the WCO anymore. Not even close.

And in the '70s, except the I back would go the the slot (yes, TO ran 4 wide receivers), and the dump pass after a fake would be to the full back.

BTW I REALLY miss the inside reverse trap to the short slot, Johnny Rodgers ran it so well.

Yeah that inside reverse to Rodgers was great. Also miss the flea flicker, where the QB would hand off to the i-back, almost like a draw. He would run up to the line of scrimmage and then flip it back to the QB who would fire it down field. And yes, some of you might not believe it but T.O. did have multiple wide outs and NU threw the ball all over the place in the early to mid 70s, led the Big 8 in passing a few years I believe.

Ahh, yes. Thank you, Bill Callahan, for being the sole reason we can move the ball at all. Even when you're an assistant in New York.

Without you, we'd still be stuck in the Stone Ages of football, only taking advantage of teams with smaller defenses (like the whole Big 12, now shifting to nickel and dime packages to defend the spread). But, since you brought the brand-new WCO to Nebraska (something the Blackshirts NEVER destroyed... repeatedly), we instantly became relevant and 'up-to-date.'

By the way, we don't run the WCO anymore. Not even close.

Way to completely over-exaggerate.

And also, yeah our offense is still quite a bit steeped in West Coast principles, sorry.