any updates on matt herian?

I wouldn't expect him to be playing this year. Look for him to redshirt and come back next year. While he has the offense under his belt he will be a major cog in the hole in 06.

I think if there's some very fast healing he plays, but I think from everything I have heard it will be tough to get him back 100% for the start of the season.

• 2 weeks later...

Someone on another board said they saw him this week and his bad leg is about half the size of the good one. Limping very badly and way down on weight. I doubt we see him this year. I hope we see him next year, but I have my doubts. Compound fractures are tough to deal with not only on the physical side but some never recover mentally after one. Either way thank you Matt for all you have given this program.

Redshirting is a good idea...and his family isn't worried about money and the NFL yet...my brother in law is a county mounty in the county Herrian's parents live in, and he knows them a little. Says they are great people, but aren't hurting for $$.

Redshirting will give him more time to rehab, and not rush things. He's a good kid, and I wish him only the best--his health comes first, no matter what!

• 1 month later...

Last I heard he is still adamant that he'll play this fall. But that could just be the ultra-competitor in him.. whether thats realistic or not is hard to say. Either way its a great attitude and really the only one you can use if you expect to overcome a brutal injury like he suffered. Best of luck to Matt.

Last I heard he is still adamant that he'll play this fall. But that could just be the ultra-competitor in him.. whether thats realistic or not is hard to say. Either way its a great attitude and really the only one you can use if you expect to overcome a brutal injury like he suffered. Best of luck to Matt.

I'd really prefer to see him redshirt, for a couple of reasons. First, it'll ensure that he can return at 100%. Second, while this is hardly a "throw-away" year, next year is when we can begin to see the team really jell - most of the players will have been in the system for at least a full year, and we'll have one more highly-ranked recruiting class under our belt.