Please if there is a nurse or dr. on the board

I got about 2 hours sleep last night-slept with a heating pad..that seemed to help somewhat....have a terrible sinus headache that shoots up from my right ear to my head. It isn't an ear infection..has to be sinuses. I called the pharmacist yesterday and he suggested clariton. I am only suppose to take 1 capful every 24 hrs..but..took 2 of them..was in so much pain. Not asking for sympathy..just need some suggestions if anyone knows of a good sinus medicinine I can take that will knock me out. I am not up to going to the emergency room and waiting 8 hrs. to get seen -worst yet getting dressed..would have to go with a robe on. Hope there is a dr. or nurse on the board that can recommend something or someone who gets them bad like I do and can suggest something. Thx for any help..am desperate.

rawhide is a nurse, hang in there he will help you out with your question.

hope you feel better, i would think that the steam from a good hot shower would help loosen things up a bit and make you feel better.

good luck

thats what i do sometimes, it seems to help for a little while at least.

It almost sounds like a sinus infection. I dont know if there emergency care clinics where you are but the wait is minimal and for something of your nature, they do very well.

Im not a nurse but I live with one and have had several sinus infections and beleive me that you will want to get an antibiotic if that is the case. By the way my wife suggests Mucinex to get any congestion that might cause the pain to loosen and exit.

Hope you get well soon.

I got about 2 hours sleep last night-slept with a heating pad..that seemed to help somewhat....have a terrible sinus headache that shoots up from my right ear to my head. It isn't an ear infection..has to be sinuses. I called the pharmacist yesterday and he suggested clariton. I am only suppose to take 1 capful every 24 hrs..but..took 2 of them..was in so much pain. Not asking for sympathy..just need some suggestions if anyone knows of a good sinus medicinine I can take that will knock me out. I am not up to going to the emergency room and waiting 8 hrs. to get seen -worst yet getting dressed..would have to go with a robe on. Hope there is a dr. or nurse on the board that can recommend something or someone who gets them bad like I do and can suggest something. Thx for any help..am desperate.

It could be your sinuses...

However, it could also be...

* Just a migraine headache.

However, here are some possible other causes...

* Intracranial pressure cause by an embolism...which is when there is a blockage of a blood vessel.

* There could be an issue with a nerve on the ascending tract...which carries information to the brain.

* It could meningitis...which is inflammation of the meninges and has bacterial and viral forms.

Those are just a few of the possibilities that could be the cause of what you're experiencing.

I will say this: If you are in that much pain and OTC (over the counter) meds aren't taking care of this issue then you really need to go see a doctor.

* Intracranial pressure cause by an embolism...which is when there is a blockage of a blood vessel.

* There could be an issue with a nerve on the ascending tract...which carries information to the brain.

* It could meningitis...which is inflammation of the meninges and has bacterial and viral forms.

Those are just a few of the possibilities that could be the cause of what you're experiencing.

I will say this: If you are in that much pain and OTC (over the counter) meds aren't taking care of this issue then you really need to go see a doctor.

Great differential diagnosis Greg!

Great differential diagnosis Greg!

I don't get it...is this some kind of a pop culture reference? :wtf

I included those as possibilities because I'm not a doctor or nurse.

I am however less than a year away from graduating from ITT Technical Institute with a degree in Health Information Management. As such I've taken courses, among others, covering:

Medical & Drug terminology

Anatomy and Physiology I & II

Human Diseases

ICD-9-CM Coding

I simply wanted to point out that what ninersgirl is experiencing could be a number of things with differing etiology and the only way she would know for sure is to go to a doctor.

I get those sinuslike headaches around this time of year. Not only do I get the headache I also have such intense sinus pressure it feels as though my teeth are about to explode. I take Alegra D and Flonase. It works everytime.

Hey Rox..

If you have the insurance..you might as well go to the Dr.

I had my first Sinus infection/headache a couple months ago and got rid of it almost instantly (after failed attempts with alternating frozen peas and hot towells to the forehead).

I'd gotten a Tens unit (muscle stimulator) on ebay a couple years ago and remembered getting rid of a migrane with a homemade Tens unit (or ultrasound) made out of a heath-kit light dimmer switch my brother gave me when I was in highschool.

Just place the electrodes on the ridge between your eyes, or below them over your cheekbones if the pain is lower and run at the lowest setting at first...Stay away from the white light as you might damage your optic nerves..usually more noticable when you make contact with one or both temples.

Electrocute.gif

Dang!

It didn't seem that scary at the time when it was just me..disreguard the above, get dressed, and go scope out an urgent care facility.

Thx everyone for your help...took a really hot shower..put alot of vicks on me and layed down with the heating pad on my head and chest. Took 2 claritins..found a bottle of prescription medicine for allergies..took one of those, took 2 advil and some Tylenol Chese Congestion and Cold Medicine. Feel a little better...need alot of sleep mostly..slept most of the afternoon..still pooped out. Wanted to go watch my hon play a baseball game tonight..they are in first place and are playing the 2nd place team. They have beat them once already so hope they win again. Don't think the heating pad would work plugging it in the cigarette lighter:) I have insurance..but.. just dread going to the ER room...last time I went..was there for 8 hours. I'm a tough cookie..will be ok....thx again for all your help....hugggsssss and take care.

P.S. Will come and post when I am my old self again:)

Make sure the meds you take have some pseudonephrine(semi-meth:)) in them. That helps dry out the sinuses and nasal passages. Don't take it if you have any cardiac related problems or hypertensive issues either. Please watch out how much OTC meds you take that have tylenol in them. Most MD's recommend not taking more than 2400 milligrams per day. Many OTC drugs have 500-1000 mgs. per dose. Too much acetaminophen(tylenol)can cause liver damage if continued. If the symptoms haven't gone away after two days of all those meds, seeing the doctor is the best NEXT step. A quick check for meningitis is to bring your legs up to your chest and bend your head down to your chest. IF IT HURTS REALLY BAD SEE A DOCTOR STAT just to rule that out. The other dxs. would need advanced diagnostic tests to confirm like a CT or MRI.

Hope you get to feeling better, and if you need a colonoscopy let me know :) j/k

Nurse Rawhide

AFter a bad night of sleeping again...my hon told me to call the doctor today...I fold him I may not be able to get in for days and he told me to let them know how bad I need to get in! Am going to call them when they open and hope they can squeeze me in so I don't have to wait forever! Had a real bad night so if they can't get me in soon..off to the emergency room I go. Good news...my hon's baseball team won last night:):) I wanted to go so bad..but...couldn't. They are in first place and the rest of the games they have left..the teams are rated lower so hopefully no upsets and they will win a trophy:):) Thx for the suggestions everyone..much appreciated:) Am stubborn at times..but...enough is enough and time to go see a professional:) Take care all.