Huskers Eliminated from Big XII Tourney Contention

Sad. Truly sad. Has NU baseball EVER been this bad? The MA supporters are dwindling down. I read somewhere that Mike was just given a 4 year extention before this year, so with that I say keep him around for 1 more year and see what happens. If its this bad again then hes gone.

Sad. Truly sad. Has NU baseball EVER been this bad? The MA supporters are dwindling down. I read somewhere that Mike was just given a 4 year extention before this year, so with that I say keep him around for 1 more year and see what happens. If its this bad again then hes gone.

1997 - We only won 7 conference games...The Sanders era.

Wow.. that sucks. I love the baseball program, but it's been obvious since Anderson took over that he wants an offense that tries to produce runs without free swingers. These other teams are swinging away and scoring tons of runs, with doubles & homers, while Anderson's teams cant recover when they get down a few runs. It happens every year. Pitching and defense is one thing, but all the sacrifice hits, and bunts, and walks, and HBP to produce baserunners or move runners just to score runs is for 5th graders. Its a control freak style of hitting/offense.

Aluminum bats and weight rooms and talent should not be dimished by a theory of "pitching, defense and timely hitting". Man give those guys the green light. I'd try to score 15-20 a game if I was the coach.

Amen.

Coach Anderson obviously cant recruit. Especially pitching. If it werent for neuman last year he would have his job in serious jeapordy last year. When you are a top 20 perenial program you should be able to recruit at least 1 or 2 really good pitchers every year. I believe that anderson is a little arrogant when it comes to the game. burn had it in mind when going to a&m to take childress with him... to bad he isnt here still

Coach Anderson obviously cant recruit. Especially pitching. If it werent for neuman last year he would have his job in serious jeapordy last year. When you are a top 20 perenial program you should be able to recruit at least 1 or 2 really good pitchers every year. I believe that anderson is a little arrogant when it comes to the game. burn had it in mind when going to a&m to take childress with him... to bad he isnt here still

Um... That's an ignorant post on you're part... Baseball is not football.. Every recruit you sign does not end up on campus... We have been burned by the draft the last couple of years... Again, we have a top pitching prospect signed to come in next year and we also have Williams from Westside coming... Williams will see campus but it's unknown if Lemke (said recruit) will make it to campus... Hopefully he does. And it's Byrne... not burn... And Childress would not have stayed at NU even if he got the job at that time.. Texas has so much talent they can fill everything with great prospects from texas only... This team was not good by any stretch of the imagination, but next year will be better... if it's not? then i'm right along with you in the get rid of Anderson... But that won't happen... 2004 vs 2005 ring a bell?

Um... That's an ignorant post on you're part... Baseball is not football.. Every recruit you sign does not end up on campus... We have been burned by the draft the last couple of years... Again, we have a top pitching prospect signed to come in next year and we also have Williams from Westside coming... Williams will see campus but it's unknown if Lemke (said recruit) will make it to campus... Hopefully he does. And it's Byrne... not burn... And Childress would not have stayed at NU even if he got the job at that time.. Texas has so much talent they can fill everything with great prospects from texas only... This team was not good by any stretch of the imagination, but next year will be better... if it's not? then i'm right along with you in the get rid of Anderson... But that won't happen... 2004 vs 2005 ring a bell?

Here's what I don't get. It can't be just Nebraska that is losing a bunch of guys to the pros, yet the other teams such as Texas and OK-St are good year after year. I know even some of the big boys still have down years, but it should never be as bad as this year was for us.

The problem is, unlike the NBA, where most college players will never make it to, its much easier to go pro in baseball with all the minor leauge teams out there. What percent of these guys going pro ever even make it to the big leauge?

I agree with you on the statement that baseball is not football. However, in other areas I can't say that I'm jumping on your boat...

Assimilating the 2004/2005 seasons with 2009/2010 seasons is a stretch. Why would you wholeheartedly believe that 2005 success will translate into 2010 success? Because it happened then?

There is no evidence that we'll be any better in 2010 than 2009. In fact, we lose the following seniors (just like those impact players last year): Mort, Tezak, Sullivan, Bird, and Neer - all impact players. This list obviously doesn't include those that will be taken in the draft.

Now, I'd be an idiot to say that our younger players won't (and those not here yet) won't fill-in and have an impact - because I can not say that with any certainty. But you, apparently, believe that to be the case judging by this statement, "This team was not good by any stretch of the imagination, but next year will be better..."

The truth is this - in the past 4 years, we've had 1 mediocre season(2007) and 1 horrendous season(2009). If we still didn't have fresh memories of us in the CWS, there would be an even bigger outcry.

I hate calling for coaching changes, because there is always a healing/recovery/transition process. I'm not a supporter of the "coaching carousel." This doesn't mean that we can't be critical or skeptical of our current staff, no matter what the sport.

I agree with you on the statement that baseball is not football. However, in other areas I can't say that I'm jumping on your boat...

Assimilating the 2004/2005 seasons with 2009/2010 seasons is a stretch. Why would you wholeheartedly believe that 2005 success will translate into 2010 success? Because it happened then?

There is no evidence that we'll be any better in 2010 than 2009. In fact, we lose the following seniors (just like those impact players last year): Mort, Tezak, Sullivan, Bird, and Neer - all impact players. This list obviously doesn't include those that will be taken in the draft.

Now, I'd be an idiot to say that our younger players won't (and those not here yet) won't fill-in and have an impact - because I can not say that with any certainty. But you, apparently, believe that to be the case judging by this statement, "This team was not good by any stretch of the imagination, but next year will be better..."

The truth is this - in the past 4 years, we've had 1 mediocre season(2007) and 1 horrendous season(2009). If we still didn't have fresh memories of us in the CWS, there would be an even bigger outcry.

I hate calling for coaching changes, because there is always a healing/recovery/transition process. I'm not a supporter of the "coaching carousel." This doesn't mean that we can't be critical or skeptical of our current staff, no matter what the sport.

I don't by any means think anything is wrong with being critical... Nothing at all because if there isn't criticism you don't have success..

Now, no, success in 05 doesnt = success in 10.. Not by any stretch of the imagination... My point is that just because we had one bad year doesn't mean we can't rebound next year... We have a ton of talent coming in and returning, and a pitching staff that has grown over this past year...

Bird, while he pitched well down the stretch in midweek games.. but he was by no stretch of the imagination a key player on this team... He helped us grab a couple of wins, but that was it. Mort is a leader, but Cody Aschee is every bit the player, and IMO better with the bat... Sullivan is okay at best.. Nothing we can't replace, especially in our outfield.. Bailey should be back along with Belfonte.. And Cooper and Collins both also in the outfield it should be pretty talented... Tezak is a huge loss.. No doubt about that and I would never disagree with that.. Neer really excelled down the stretch and will be missed for sure... I think Burleson has all of the talent in the world to succeed behind the plate he just needs to get that bat back and going... Jed Hanson also showed he could hit a little bit when given the opportunity, but he was horrendous behind the plate... That will be interesting to see what happens there.. Now, swe need Farst also to come back.. If he gets drafted and jets that could hurt a ton, because I'm not so sold on Cade Thompson (however the coaches like his bat)... Ben Kline will be back at short again and hopefully his bat will start to come around similar to what Simo's did back then (hit .236 his freshman year to .310 his senior year starting his whole career)...

HF sure UT has other kids that jump ship for pro ball, but top to bottom their classes are better because of their location.. they have kids jump ship really i'm sure it's just as many of us, but i'd have to research that before i could say that for certain... But because of their location (temperature) they could probably get more players to stay because it's easier for them to work on their game all year long.. But like i said, i don't know that for a fact... As for OSU, they were supposed to be CWS good this year.. they have more to complain about than we do honestly...They also will miss the big 12 tourney.. With that pitching staff... a WOW.

I was really surprised that they had the season, they had. I thought the Huskers had turned the corner, and would start fielding a top 25 team year in and year out. Granted not everyone can be a CWS team each year, but at least I thought they would be playing for a chance to maybe go. I don't understand how teams like Okl, can be so good in basketball and baseball, [we won't even go to the football program] year in and year out, and Nebraska keeps struggling to keep its head above water in these sports. I know its always been a football school, but so has Okl....... :dunno

GBR!!!

I was really surprised that they had the season, they had. I thought the Huskers had turned the corner, and would start fielding a top 25 team year in and year out. Granted not everyone can be a CWS team each year, but at least I thought they would be playing for a chance to maybe go. I don't understand how teams like Okl, can be so good in basketball and baseball, [we won't even go to the football program] year in and year out, and Nebraska keeps struggling to keep its head above water in these sports. I know its always been a football school, but so has Okl....... :dunno

GBR!!!

Ding Ding Ding we have a winner

Nice post

GBR!!!

Ding Ding Ding we have a winner

Nice post

Oklahoma can recruit Texas much much easier than Nebraska can... Saying that OU baseball is good is like saying NU baseball was good in 99... Just starting to turn the corner... This team had a down year.. They will be back next year.. One bad year is not struggling to keep our head above water... Staford was terrible this year also, but I think most of the nation still considers them a great baseball school... They are only 23-20 right now (and we are better than that in that conference....) They were supposed to be much much better than us this year also... Just gotta look at things from different perspectives.. We are too young to say that the baseball program is nothing. Like i've said multiple times yea it sucks that we weren't as good as many people wanted us to be, but writing this program or coaching staff off is a mistake IMO.. We'll be bakc.

I don't usually call for a coaches head either and think Anderson has largely done well at the helm. However I have no confidence that coach Newman can find/develop talent. Our pitching staff has been going down steadily since Childress left, and this year has just been embarassing. I know we're young but we can't put one consistent starter out there?? I want Coach A to stay, who are we going to bring here that would be better anyway?, but Newman should step down.