Paulus, Marve updates

Honestly, I'd be shocked as hell if Paulus ended up coming here...

I just don't see it happening.

And if we need a scout team QB that badly, then I'd be glad to help out. I've got 5 years of eligibility left...

Fell free to contact me, Coach Watson.

He can't redshirt, so he would not be a scout team QB if he comes here. It would be a huge benifit to us for the future if we could RS Green and LTW, so I'm crossing my fingers that he comes here. Remember, point guards are the QB's of basketball, and this guy is battle tested at one of the best b-ball schools in the country.

would love to get paulus. it just makes so much sense, it will add more depth for a year and he will only be taking up a scholly for a year! i dont understand why anyone would not want him....

:yeah

Seems like it should be a "no Brainer".

The only thing I can think of is several on here don't want Green or LTW to redshirt for some reason..Do they think either of them will be good enough to leave early for the NFL? (thus eliminating the bennefit of the shirt).

I would think either of these possible transfers would be as good as LTW is now..if it was just for mop up duty..sure you could even put Ndamakong Suh back there...But without a backup QB to fall back on, we're sorta limited on what we'd want to run..(so's we don't get Lee hurt).

Any updates on how Spano's Knee is feeling/progressing?

It's not that I fear of losing a QB early, in fact I don't see that ever being an issue for a very long time. I'd rather have one of our Qb's getting the reps and getting the so-called mop up duty. Real time live action will do so much more for any of our young back up Qb's than 15 reps a day versus the scout team. Think how Florida used Tebow, or even how Booger was incorporated into Mizzou's offense with Brad Smith(the only smart decision Pinkle has ever made probably). I know, I know your arguements will be that those two situations were with senior QB's at the helm, well Va Tech did it with Tyrod two years ago.

Everyone preaches that they want great competition at every position every year to make us better, well what about a Lee/experienced Green, or a Lee/Experienced Washington or Martinez for that matter. One would logically think it will only make the position stronger in the long run than a one year "Teabag" Paulus experiment.

He's an insurance policy. They REALLY want to shirt Green and we don't know if Spano will be able to play. But we need three qb's ready to go, Paulus could give us that. He might also allow us to try for a medical hardship for Spano rather than having to push him out there on a bum wheel.

The staff loves Green and just don't want to play him and use half his career playing back-up.

Since Paulus has only one year to play, he should go somewhere where he'll actually see the field, for his own sake.

European basketball sounds good. Perhaps Connie Yuri could use him. So far a football, might as well grab a guy off the street. There's a good reason he decided to play b-ball instead of real ball.

I totally agree carlfense!!! Please do NOT under any circumstances give Paulus a scholly!! Reasons are the following:

1. Numbers crunch with schollies. We are limited enough as is and this would be a huge waste. With question marks in the interior of the D-line, secondary, and wide receiver, we should hit these areas somewhat hard.

2. As said, barring massive injury rashes he would never take a snap.

3. Have you seen video of this guy throwing? He sucks. Watch the Army All American practice videos sometime, you'll see what I mean.

4. Big XII football is a whole different monster than playing Bball for the last four years. The most contact this guy has had at Duke were the five or six posters of opponents "tea-baggin" while dunking on him in games. Again check out the videos they are quite humorous.

5. I'd rather have one of our young pup QB's taking the reps of being a backup to gain that valuable experience and getting used to that "college game speed." This would be so much more beneficial to the program down the line.

I honestly can't believe that we were this open to Paulus. Huge mistake if he is here in the fall with a scholly and the primary backup.

PS 6. Duke royally sucks the big one!!!!

:rant

I agree with all but point one. The schollie doesn't count for this year's recruiting class. Still I'd rather see it go to a walk on or a transfer (like Marve) that could provide future depth. As much as Would like to see LTW and Green redshirt the year, I'd far rather see a shirt burned than a schollie that could be used to help build this program.

I totally agree carlfense!!! Please do NOT under any circumstances give Paulus a scholly!! Reasons are the following:

1. Numbers crunch with schollies. We are limited enough as is and this would be a huge waste. With question marks in the interior of the D-line, secondary, and wide receiver, we should hit these areas somewhat hard.

3. Have you seen video of this guy throwing? He sucks. Watch the Army All American practice videos sometime, you'll see what I mean.

4. Big XII football is a whole different monster than playing Bball for the last four years. The most contact this guy has had at Duke were the five or six posters of opponents "tea-baggin" while dunking on him in games. Again check out the videos they are quite humorous.

5. I'd rather have one of our young pup QB's taking the reps of being a backup to gain that valuable experience and getting used to that "college game speed." This would be so much more beneficial to the program down the line.

I honestly can't believe that we were this open to Paulus. Huge mistake if he is here in the fall with a scholly and the primary backup.

I agree with all but point one. The schollie doesn't count for this year's recruiting class. Still I'd rather see it go to a walk on or a transfer (like Marve) that could provide future depth. As much as Would like to see LTW and Green redshirt the year, I'd far rather see a shirt burned than a schollie that could be used to help build this program.

He isn't coming so the point is moot, but I don't get this comment. You already admit that it doesn't hurt recruiting, but giving out a scholly hurts the building of the program? In what way do you see this? Didn't everyone on here laud Bo for RS almost the entire class of 2008, does all of that talk of building quality depth and building the program not apply here? What is more beneficial to this program then RSing two possible starters or major contributors at QB (Green and Washington)? That is the most important position on the field and getting to RS those players only ensures that this program will have quality depth and talent for longer. I get that giving a scholly to Henery or someone would be nice, but frankly the staff has an obligation to do what is best for the team. Henery isn't going away, he will be there. If the staff feels that it is vital to the future success of the program to ensure that Green and Washington get a RS, then that is what they should do and if adding a transfer from outside is the way to do it, then so be it.

He isn't coming so the point is moot, but I don't get this comment. You already admit that it doesn't hurt recruiting, but giving out a scholly hurts the building of the program? In what way do you see this? Didn't everyone on here laud Bo for RS almost the entire class of 2008, does all of that talk of building quality depth and building the program not apply here? What is more beneficial to this program then RSing two possible starters or major contributors at QB (Green and Washington)? That is the most important position on the field and getting to RS those players only ensures that this program will have quality depth and talent for longer. I get that giving a scholly to Henery or someone would be nice, but frankly the staff has an obligation to do what is best for the team. Henery isn't going away, he will be there. If the staff feels that it is vital to the future success of the program to ensure that Green and Washington get a RS, then that is what they should do and if adding a transfer from outside is the way to do it, then so be it.

No, I agree the schollie wouldn't hurt recruiting, but I do feel it could be better used. Paulus not only wouldn't have contributed but would also have taken reps from those who will contribute in the future. My point about a transfer was that he (not nessecarily Marve) would have the opportunity to provide depth, or possibly playing time in the future. I would happily exchange a probable diffence maker for 2010 in liue of a benchwarmer for 2009.