Is 2009 our "magical" year???

So what happens if you finish this year 8-4 or 7-5 or 6-6. Probably won't happen but what if you have L's from VT, MU, CU, KU, OU, TT? It is very possible especially with the questions you have on O and the DB's. Will you be able to handle that kind of a season from Pelini?

Absolutely, IF the team plays better. I want to see improvement, in every facet of the game. It's possible to improve across the board yet still lose those games. Now, if we take a step back in our development and/or give away games for really dumb reasons, then I'm going to be disgruntled.

Wins and losses are not the only benchmark for success. Football is a funny sport. Sometimes you get lucky and win games, or are unlucky and you lose. K-State stayed with the Huskers last year because three very low-percentage plays were successful for them. It's entirely possible they could have gotten another fluke here or there, and beaten us. Same goes for Colorado - Nebraska was clearly better than the Buffs last year, but thanks to a couple of odd plays, they led with less than two minutes to go.

I think the difference between nub and those teams is nobody outside Lincoln thinks the huskers are a year away from winning a NC.

I don't think we are a year away, and I think many Husker fans aren't thinking about winning a NC in 2010. Just being in the hunt again, for a chance at a title, is what I would think many of us are feeling, but that's just my opinion. Yeah I know what opinions are like................. :)

GBR!!!

Exactly. I don't think anyone is thinking MNC next year. The one thing we want is to be considered in the conversation. That's the next step after winning our division. You win the North and you're in the Big XII Championship. Nobody expects us to win that this year, but with development that's a possibility next year, and when you win the Big XII, you're in the MNC conversation. And that's fine with me. I don't expect to win one anytime soon - nobody should ever expect to win a MNC - but being in the group of teams that people think have a shot... yeah. I think that's possible next year, and hopefully every year after that.

I see no reason why Nebraska can't be in the same position as Texas, Oklahoma, Ohio State, Michigan (when they're decent), LSU, Georgia, etc. That's the echelon where we belong, and that's where we'll be soon.

The next step beyond that is being in the company of USC & Florida, who people expect to be up there every year. I have no idea when we'll make that step, and I'm not concerned about it. That's a huge step, and whenever it happens is fine with me, whether that's five, ten or fifteen years down the road.

So what happens if you finish this year 8-4 or 7-5 or 6-6. Probably won't happen but what if you have L's from VT, MU, CU, KU, OU, TT? It is very possible especially with the questions you have on O and the DB's. Will you be able to handle that kind of a season from Pelini?

All the DB's are back from last year that actually made a difference. I think 2010 is a good year to compete for a NC because the 70 guys that have been redshirted the last 2 years will be ready to contribute and add depth.
I think the difference between nub and those teams is nobody outside Lincoln thinks the huskers are a year away from winning a NC.

I don't think we are a year away, and I think many Husker fans aren't thinking about winning a NC in 2010. Just being in the hunt again, for a chance at a title, is what I would think many of us are feeling, but that's just my opinion. Yeah I know what opinions are like................. :)

GBR!!!

Exactly. I don't think anyone is thinking MNC next year. The one thing we want is to be considered in the conversation. That's the next step after winning our division. You win the North and you're in the Big XII Championship. Nobody expects us to win that this year, but with development that's a possibility next year, and when you win the Big XII, you're in the MNC conversation. And that's fine with me. I don't expect to win one anytime soon - nobody should ever expect to win a MNC - but being in the group of teams that people think have a shot... yeah. I think that's possible next year, and hopefully every year after that.

I see no reason why Nebraska can't be in the same position as Texas, Oklahoma, Ohio State, Michigan (when they're decent), LSU, Georgia, etc. That's the echelon where we belong, and that's where we'll be soon.

The next step beyond that is being in the company of USC & Florida, who people expect to be up there every year. I have no idea when we'll make that step, and I'm not concerned about it. That's a huge step, and whenever it happens is fine with me, whether that's five, ten or fifteen years down the road.

All the DB's are back from last year that actually made a difference. I think 2010 is a good year to compete for a NC because the 70 guys that have been redshirted the last 2 years will be ready to contribute and add depth.

All the DB's from 2008 are back? I think the biggest difference between now and the 1990's is the talent at nub is not much greater than other schools in the North, let alone the entire B12

GBR!!!

All the DB's from 2008 are back? I think the biggest difference between now and the 1990's is the talent at nub is not much greater than other schools in the North, let alone the entire B12

When ku has football history instead of BB history then run your mouth, ku has beat NU 2X in my lifetime and i'm 37 - I love how ku runs their mouth over 2 wins.

GBR!!!

When ku has football history instead of BB history then run your mouth, ku has beat NU 2X in my lifetime and i'm 37 - I love how ku runs their mouth over 2 wins.

Thanks for the uninspired post. Those 2 wins where in the last 3 years. We may not have any NC, but we do have some history. Sayers, Hadl, Stubblefield, 76. I know it's nothing like the mighty huskers history but your one of those that think you know football better because your a husker fan. Run your mouth the next time the Huskers get a win in Lawrence, and it will not be this year. (Here is where you reply, but KU hasn't won in Lincoln since 1968, to where I reply simply "so".) KU sucked for 36 of the last 40 years. Isn't like you beat OU or TX in Lincoln for that long.

Here's how it's looks since Mangino started to get this team better, which was around 2004.

2004 KU at UNL. UNL wins 14-8 (LOL)

2005 UNL at KU. KU wins 45-15

2006 KU at UNL. UNL wins 39-32 in OT. After UNL having a 17-0 lead in the first 15 minutes.

2007 UNL at KU. KU wins 76-39. Hello Mr. Gantz, bout time that coach of yours unleashed ya.

2008 KU at UNL. UNL wins 45-35. Game tied 14-14 at half. KU playing with injured Reesing, Meier, and Sharp.

So the last three in Lincoln have been close while UNL has struggled in Lawrence. That's why I run my mouth, since we have no history according to you I must live in the now. In the now KU is a good team that is just as good as UNL, even in talent.

Bill Callahan was our coach during those losses. That's a pretty huge asterisk, hawker. ;)

yeah. I digress that those 40 losses in lincoln was because of bad coaching, so those need an asterisk.

ps. except the last 5 or 6 years. Allen gets the blame for Mangino's first couple loses.

We can go back and forth over this forever. The bottom line is, both Kansas and Nebraska have good teams, good coaches, and good fans. You have as much reason to be excited with your team this year as we do.

I'm looking forward to the game in Lawrence this year. It should be a good one.

GBR!!!

Why do you insist on getting into pissing matches with the KU fans that come on here and then bring up football history? It has nothing to do with the now, I'm just as proud as the next Husker fan about our National Championships and Conference Championships, but it doesn't do us any good in the here and now.

I think we'll be a good team this year, but like I said before 2010 is the year to watch. Jayhawker, I don't think anyone thinks we will win the National Championship, but I think everyone thinks we will be damn tough and hard to beat in 2010. We'll see how you guys do against us in Lawrence, but my money's on the Huskers, obviously.

GBR!!!

Why do you insist on getting into pissing matches with the KU fans that come on here and then bring up football history? It has nothing to do with the now, I'm just as proud as the next Husker fan about our National Championships and Conference Championships, but it doesn't do us any good in the here and now.

I think we'll be a good team this year, but like I said before 2010 is the year to watch. Jayhawker, I don't think anyone thinks we will win the National Championship, but I think everyone thinks we will be damn tough and hard to beat in 2010. We'll see how you guys do against us in Lawrence, but my money's on the Huskers, obviously.

Take note huskered17, that is how to make a post with some thought.

Don't get me wrong. I stand in awe of your history and tradition. But I'm a KU fan. I've been to memorial quite a few times as a friend of mine is season ticket holders and I've had a great time each game. I was at the 2006 KU OT game in the North endzone and I believe all but one or two TD's where scored in that endzone.. I do agree that UNL will be very hard to beat this year. I just believe that in Lawrence the huskers will not have the firepower to win the game.

Bill Callahan was our coach during those losses. That's a pretty huge asterisk, hawker. ;)

yeah. I digress that those 40 losses in lincoln was because of bad coaching, so those need an asterisk.

ps. except the last 5 or 6 years. Allen gets the blame for Mangino's first couple loses.

Oh I get your point on that, but I think you also missed the point. If TO was still the coach for NU and this was about KU vs. NU and you wanted to say that TO's string of victories were tainted because of piss poor coaching, ok then your point has some merit. However TO isn't the coach and those losses for NU in Lawrence weren't under Bo's watch either. Bottom line is that this NU team will be much better prepared vs. Mangino's KU team than those teams were. That is a relevant comparison. I am not one for putting the History of the Program argument up, since it doesn't make sense, but the coaching change is valid in this game eval.

Oh I get your point on that, but I think you also missed the point. If TO was still the coach for NU and this was about KU vs. NU and you wanted to say that TO's string of victories were tainted because of piss poor coaching, ok then your point has some merit. However TO isn't the coach and those losses for NU in Lawrence weren't under Bo's watch either. Bottom line is that this NU team will be much better prepared vs. Mangino's KU team than those teams were. That is a relevant comparison. I am not one for putting the History of the Program argument up, since it doesn't make sense, but the coaching change is valid in this game eval.

Yeah, I say the fat man will be ready for Bo. He will be ready for that cheap halfback pass this year. ;-)

Haha @ that halfback pass. You realize that we were about 5 yards from the end zone anyway? Maybe Texas 06 or Oklahoma 05 can say "lucky half back pass" because in those games it was a TRUE TRICK PLAY that we burned them on, but come on man. That HB pass was totally different, in my oppinion.

Haha @ that halfback pass. You realize that we were about 5 yards from the end zone anyway? Maybe Texas 06 or Oklahoma 05 can say "lucky half back pass" because in those games it was a TRUE TRICK PLAY that we burned them on, but come on man. That HB pass was totally different, in my oppinion.

didn't say lucky, said cheap. Hate it when it's not us doing it.