New Huskers fan needing indoctrination....

Football related question before I dig through all these posts....

How woud you summarise the defense style of the Huskers?

Cover 2, man to man, blitzing, read and react etc.....

I'd really appreciate a quick take so I can filter things I read in that light.

Bo likes to go with the 4-3 package, but with all of the high powered offenses we face in the Big XII he is going to a nickel hybrid so we can take care of pass or run in the same package. In 2003 when we had Pelini he liked to put Demorrio Williams (our best linebacker that year in my opinion) on the line and he would just explode past the o-line. Pelini likes to blitz, but he emphasizes a 4 man rush with our D-line. His theory is if you can pressure with 4 guys then you free up everyone else to cover and make interceptions. He mixes up his coverages quite a bit from what I saw so I am not sure what he favors as far as zone or man to man. Our secondary is questionable at times (they are young and still learning a new sytem) so I did notice he tried to blitz with caution. Plus the Big XII is pass happy. I expect we will see a lot more from our defense this year and we will probably see more of what Pelini wants to do on defense. We might not be as stacked as our blackshirts of the past, but we will see quite a few hints of the old blackshirt defense. It's a pretty exciting time right now.

Bo likes to go with the 4-3 package, but with all of the high powered offenses we face in the Big XII he is going to a nickel hybrid so we can take care of pass or run in the same package. In 2003 when we had Pelini he liked to put Demorrio Williams (our best linebacker that year in my opinion) on the line and he would just explode past the o-line. Pelini likes to blitz, but he emphasizes a 4 man rush with our D-line. His theory is if you can pressure with 4 guys then you free up everyone else to cover and make interceptions. He mixes up his coverages quite a bit from what I saw so I am not sure what he favors as far as zone or man to man. Our secondary is questionable at times (they are young and still learning a new sytem) so I did notice he tried to blitz with caution. Plus the Big XII is pass happy. I expect we will see a lot more from our defense this year and we will probably see more of what Pelini wants to do on defense. We might not be as stacked as our blackshirts of the past, but we will see quite a few hints of the old blackshirt defense. It's a pretty exciting time right now.

it's getting harder for 4 men to get pressure, not cuz they aren't good enough but because zebra's aren't calling holding like they should.

it's getting harder for 4 men to get pressure, not cuz they aren't good enough but because zebra's aren't calling holding like they should.

Agreed. Was it just me or were the penalties against Nebraska pretty one sided? I'm not saying we didn't deserve some penalties, but I saw many plays where the other team did the same exact penalty not more then 2 plays after ours (2 plays is a bit of a stretch but just threw a number out there). I don't want to see football get to be like the NBA where there is a penalty every 5 seconds so I have to say I don't mind them looking the other way sometimes. But at least even it out...the officiating was horrible all across the country in my book. Tom Osborne is right that we should be able to sit out crappy officials if we so choose.

Agreed. Was it just me or were the penalties against Nebraska pretty one sided? I'm not saying we didn't deserve some penalties, but I saw many plays where the other team did the same exact penalty not more then 2 plays after ours (2 plays is a bit of a stretch but just threw a number out there). I don't want to see football get to be like the NBA where there is a penalty every 5 seconds so I have to say I don't mind them looking the other way sometimes. But at least even it out...the officiating was horrible all across the country in my book. Tom Osborne is right that we should be able to sit out crappy officials if we so choose.

how does tech get away with having such fat linemen and big splits? because they grab on to everything they can. it's a bunch of bs.

I would add to this write up that Bo's overall concept is based on the Cover 2. He likes a 4-3 base personnel package working the Cover 2, but as HuskerGBR pointed out he is really flexible with his schemes. He hasn't transitioned to the Heavy Nickle personnel package, using an extra Safety as a LB/DB combo type player, as his base unit that many other Big XII teams are going to, but with all of the Pass Happy Spread in the Big XII he did use the Nickle a ton. However this year with the Speed of Matt May at the WLB spot, Bo will basically have the advantages of a Heavy Nickle package but with most of the advantages of a heavier 4-3 base set. This means that Bo can change to more of a Pass Coverage Play without subbing personnel to the nickle package and tipping the other team off. As creative as Bo gets with his blitzes and coverages, it should be fun to see what he does with this.

Welcome to huskerboard.com, now the addiction begins. Obviously it's too bad you have to come to Omaha under these circumstances and I hope and pray everything works out for your daugther and your family. These guys have already given you some videos to watch and the basic jist of what we run on offense and defense. I guess all I have to say is, this is a passion that no words can really explain. We love our team and we are proud of the tradition at Nebraska. We are on the upswing from a horrible place and a horrible time that we would like to forget, but is now part of our history. Once you get to Nebraska and if you get a chance to get to a game you'll know what we mean. There is no feeling like Memorial Stadium on a college football Saturday and everytime I get to a game I get goosebumps. Again, I hope everything works out in the positive for your family and your daughter and here's to the Big Red gaining another fan. :cheers

Best of luck to your daughter and your family. Our prayers are with you.

You have chosen a tradition rich team to follow and as you dig in you will find a passion that is unrivaled. I hope you have the chance to attend a home game and if you do arrive as early to Lincoln as possible and take in as much as you can.

GBR

Humm in town in september sounds like someone should be gettin you to a game. Im sure you will have more important things on your mind. Maybe someone on here might be able to get your whole family into a game. I promise you if you even go to 1 game it is nothing you have experienced. Or so ive heard.

I'm really hoping to get to a game while I'm there. I already have one offer to take me along fom a friend on texanstalk.com who is also a Nebraska fan.

I plan to get to a Huskers game and am figuring on planning a trip down to Houston for a Texans game. In the perfect world I would get there on a weekend with the Rockets playing too.

I'm working on adjusting my thinking from pro football to college football....

kiwihuskerfan...here is an article you might like :)

http://www.huskerboard.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=34089

Thanks for that....

While we are on the nickname thing. Blackshirts is the nickname of the defense right? It has been for a long time because the first team defense practices in black shirts? Have I got that right..

And the appropriate saying is Go Big Red?

kiwihuskerfan...here is an article you might like :)

http://www.huskerboard.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=34089

Thanks for that....

While we are on the nickname thing. Blackshirts is the nickname of the defense right? It has been for a long time because the first team defense practices in black shirts? Have I got that right..

And the appropriate saying is Go Big Red?

Yes to both Kiwi, and welcome (in advance) to the "good life".

Your family will be in my prayers as well both for the surgury and for the sacrafices nessecary to make it happen. My wife went through a Bi-lateral lung Tx 2 years ago, and we had to move to St Louis, I couldn't imagine what it would have been like to be in your shoes.

Question, did you say she would be undergoing her proceedure at Children's of UNMC, just curious?

Also, when in the Big O, do try to take in a little College World Series. I know, I'm not a big baseball fan either but it's a pretty good slice of Americana and 2 weeks where Omaha really shines.

All the best and GBR!!!!!!!!!!!!