Best Football Programs

Is that an over achievement for us or an under achievement? What is your take?

Article link

A paper in Tuscaloosa, Alabama does "rankings" where the Crimson Tide is third. Shocking.

It's interesting to note that they only credit Nebraska with 4 national titles...now why would they do that? <_<

It seems to me that they put more emphasis on what has happened in the past five years, which is sort of understandable, versus the past 30 years. Honestly, if you look at college football programs the past 30 years there is no way in hades Nebraska isn't at least in the top 10.

No team has gained more points in the rankings since 2007 than Alabama, and the Crimson Tide may soon compete for the top spots because of two categories. The first is attendance, with the ongoing expansion of Bryant-Denny Stadium expected to push capacity to near 101,000. The other is academics, where Alabama has quietly made strides and the recent Academic Progress Rate score of 955 was just outside of the Top 25.

BOOK it!! Did they take away the games yet? Oops - Alabama paper, forget about it.

Interesting - Biggest complaint would be attendance. Favors the high population centers - should be PERCENTAGE of seats filled. :) (NU = 100%, USC = 45%)

What about tail gating?

NU has 5 MNC, not 4, so their rankings are screwed....

AP final poll was at the end of the season, and didn't count the bowl games. UPI did use the bowls. NU's 1st NC we went into the New Year's Day bowl games (remember those?) #1 Texass lost to Notre Dumb (about the only time I was happy with a ND victory) #2 Ohio State (?) lost in the rose bowl, and #3 NU beat LSU (I love playing LSU in bowls, we usually win). After the bowl victory, the Bob-father was quoted as saying "I don't think the Pope could vote ND #1" when asked if ND had a valid claim to #1 since they beat #1 Texass.

Ah, those were the days . . . .

This article is trash in my book. Not because Nebraska is too low or anything, but Alabama being #3?

2003: 4-9

2004: 6-6

2005: 10-2 but with scandal 0-12

2006: 6-7 but with scandal 0-13

2007: 7-6 but with scandal 2-11

2008: 12-2

The textbook scandal is dumb so just looking at their win/loss even without the forfeited wins doesn't really impress me. In no way, shape, or form should Alabama be at #3...I'm sorry. Attendance is one of their categories for basing this and really that only favors teams with the biggest stadiums and they don't even sell out their stadiums. Recruiting is another where they take Rivals.com's word for who had the best recruiting class. And then they give us 4 national championships which we all know is 5 so that's another thing that makes me say this is crap.

The article was clearly way too bias so it's tough to take trash like this seriously. Alabama still has a lot to prove just like Nebraska does...they don't deserve to be #3.

I just compiled an unbiased ranking of the top football programs and Nebraska was #1.

The rankings were based on objective criteria such as number of consecutive home sellouts and which team had the highest number of consecutive bowl game appearances. I was surprised to see Nebraska ranked at the very top but that's how my list of completely objective items turned out.

GBR!

Here's my lift of top 10 programs based upon unbiased information. I simply used the amount of National Championships won since 1900:

#1 Notre Dame Fighting Irish - Though their last National Championship was more than twenty years ago, the Fighting Irish are still on top of the heap when it comes to the total amount of titles they've won. Their thirteen titles place them three ahead of the second place college and well ahead of the schools behind that. From the 1910's through the 1980's, the Notre Dame Fighting Irish were able to win at least one National Championship in every decade except the 1950's. In fact, in the 1940's alone they won the National Title on four different occasions.

#2 Alabama Crimson Tide - With ten National Championships to their credit, the University of Alabama is one of only two colleges with double digit National Titles to their name. Most of their titles were won under the watch of their famous head coach Paul "Bear" Bryant.

#3 (Tie) USC Trojans - The University of Southern California has won nine National Championships, the first in 1931 and the last in 2004. The Trojans won three titles during the 1970's and then back-to-back titles in 2003 and 2004.

#3 (Tie) Michigan Wolverines - The Michigan Wolverines are one of the most storied football programs in all of college football. The Wolverines got off to a great start in the last century by winning the National Title in 1901, 1902, 1903, and 1904. Michigan won it's eighth title in 1948 and didn't follow it up with another one until almost fifty years later when they won their ninth in 1997.

#4 (Tie) Ohio State Buckeyes - The Ohio State Buckeyes have proven themselves year in and year out as one of the class teams in the Big 10. With seven National Championships won by the Buckeyes, Ohio State has seen it's fair share of success.

#4 (Tie) Oklahoma Sooners - One of the more dominant teams of the 1950's and then again the 1970's, the Oklahoma Sooners are one of the all-time great football programs in college football. With the exception of their last two National Titles that came in 1985 and 2000, the Sooners have seemed to win their championships in bunches. They won three titles in the 1950's (1950, 1955, and 1956) and then won back-to-back titles in 1974 and 1975.

#5 Minnesota Golden Gophers - The Minnesota Golden Gophers are the team in this list that usually surprises most casual college football fans. Minnesota has won six National Championships, though none since 1960. In fact, the Golden Gophers have one of the more impressive dynasty claims in that they won five National Titles in eight years from 1934 to 1941 (1934, 1935, 1936, 1940, and 1941).

#6 (Tie) Miami Hurricanes - The Hurricanes' inclusion on this list is really quite amazing as they did not win their first National Championship until 1983. In the next eighteen years they would add four more titles to achieve their current state of owning five National Championships.

#6 (Tie) Nebraska Cornhuskers - Similar to the University of Miami, the University of Nebraska had a late start when it came to accumulating their National Championships. They won their first one in 1970 as part of their back-to-back titles of 1970 and 1971. They then added three titles in four years when they won the National Championship in 1994, 1995, and 1997.

#6 (Tie) Pittsburgh Panthers - The University of Pittsburgh is another team that many would not expect to find on this list though they are the proud owners of five National Championships as well. The team earned their first four titles between 1910 and 1937 and didn't add the fifth one until 1976.