Interesting Article..We Need Speed!

no, there is much more to it than the seasons. football is worshiped in the south. there are high schools in Texas that have better facilities than some college teams use. competition to be a high school football coach down here is unbelievable, money, politics, win/loss records, even huge recruiting pressure to get kids to move from one school district to another, it all factors into how coaches coach and how the game is taught and the development of the talent level as well. the emphasis is just over the top down here, most Nebraska kids never get exposed to that level of competition, it just doesn't happen...

Are you from Nebraska? Football is worshipped in Nebraska. It's basically all we got. I haven't been to any Class A schools facilities, but from what I'm told they're pretty nice. There is huge competition to be high school football coaches in Nebraska. If you don't believe there's any recruiting going on in Nebraska, then you need to talk to some high school football coaches here in Nebraska. Creighton Prep. recruits hard. There are some porocial schools that also recruit very hard here in Nebraska. Living close to Grant, NE has shown me a few ways of being over the top like no boy starts school until he's nearly 7 depending on when his birthday is. When they had businesses there, they'd get "jobs" for parents if their kids would go to school there. I'd say we're just as over the top here as Texas is. We don't have the numbers of great players of Texas obviously, but I don't believe for a minute that high school kids here aren't exposed to the same things as down in Texas.

no, there is much more to it than the seasons. football is worshiped in the south. there are high schools in Texas that have better facilities than some college teams use. competition to be a high school football coach down here is unbelievable, money, politics, win/loss records, even huge recruiting pressure to get kids to move from one school district to another, it all factors into how coaches coach and how the game is taught and the development of the talent level as well. the emphasis is just over the top down here, most Nebraska kids never get exposed to that level of competition, it just doesn't happen...

Are you from Nebraska? Football is worshipped in Nebraska. It's basically all we got. I haven't been to any Class A schools facilities, but from what I'm told they're pretty nice. There is huge competition to be high school football coaches in Nebraska. If you don't believe there's any recruiting going on in Nebraska, then you need to talk to some high school football coaches here in Nebraska. Creighton Prep. recruits hard. There are some porocial schools that also recruit very hard here in Nebraska. Living close to Grant, NE has shown me a few ways of being over the top like no boy starts school until he's nearly 7 depending on when his birthday is. When they had businesses there, they'd get "jobs" for parents if their kids would go to school there. I'd say we're just as over the top here as Texas is. We don't have the numbers of great players of Texas obviously, but I don't believe for a minute that high school kids here aren't exposed to the same things as down in Texas.

I grew up in Nebraska, and I lived in Texas for a handful of years as well. Nebraska high school football is nothing like high school football in Texas. You've never seen high school football worshiped until you've seen it worshiped ala Texas style. The state championships aren't over until late December (maybe even early January). It is truly crazy. Nebraskans love football, and are every bit as crazy about college football as any fan in Texas, but high school football in Texas is at a whole other level.

I agree. When we were winning NC, there was a lot of local talent on the field.

Yes and no. There was a lot of local lineman talent on the team, but not a lot of local speed. After our embarrssing string of major bowl losses in the 80s and early 90s it was clear Nebraska needed a lot more speed in our linebackers (and not surprisingly in our backs and recievers) to compete against teams we couldn't out-muscle. Osborne and the coaching staff recruited accordingly, going outstate more aggressively and some might argue overlooking some of the character issues that Nebraska used to avoid.

In short, this "revelation" could have been written in 1991.

Are you from Nebraska? Football is worshiped in Nebraska. It's basically all we got. I haven't been to any Class A schools facilities, but from what I'm told they're pretty nice. There is huge competition to be high school football coaches in Nebraska. If you don't believe there's any recruiting going on in Nebraska, then you need to talk to some high school football coaches here in Nebraska. Creighton Prep. recruits hard. There are some parochial schools that also recruit very hard here in Nebraska. Living close to Grant, NE has shown me a few ways of being over the top like no boy starts school until he's nearly 7 depending on when his birthday is. When they had businesses there, they'd get "jobs" for parents if their kids would go to school there. I'd say we're just as over the top here as Texas is. We don't have the numbers of great players of Texas obviously, but I don't believe for a minute that high school kids here aren't exposed to the same things as down in Texas.

I grew up in Nebraska, and I lived in Texas for a handful of years as well. Nebraska high school football is nothing like high school football in Texas. You've never seen high school football worshiped until you've seen it worshiped ala Texas style. The state championships aren't over until late December (maybe even early January). It is truly crazy. Nebraskans love football, and are every bit as crazy about college football as any fan in Texas, but high school football in Texas is at a whole other level.

correct, i grew up in Nebraska and graduated from NU and have now lived in Texas for 9 years. sorry, guys there is just no comparison as the above poster notes. the level of coaching and facilities has to be witnessed to be understood. boosters pour money into high school programs here like they were colleges. if you lived here and witnessed the programs and competition you would understand.

I agree. When we were winning NC, there was a lot of local talent on the field.

Yes and no. There was a lot of local lineman talent on the team, but not a lot of local speed. After our embarrssing string of major bowl losses in the 80s and early 90s it was clear Nebraska needed a lot more speed in our linebackers (and not surprisingly in our backs and recievers) to compete against teams we couldn't out-muscle. Osborne and the coaching staff recruited accordingly, going outstate more aggressively and some might argue overlooking some of the character issues that Nebraska used to avoid.

In short, this "revelation" could have been written in 1991.

There were a lot more players than just linemand from Nebraska. Ahman Green was from Omaha. I think he showed he had some wheels. Scott Frost was from Wood River. He had the fastest 10 yard dash time, and I think he played a vital part in the 97' NC. Clinton Childs and Damon Benning who both started at some point in time at running back were from Lincoln. Phil Ellis started at Linebacker and was a captain the 95' season. John Hesse was a starting LB from Lincoln. The Mackovickas and Schlesinger playing FB were all from Nebraska. Tony Veland started at safety and was from Omaha. In some of the later years, you had Crouch from Nebraska. Wilson Thomas was really fast playing WR. There was a Gibson playing WR from Omaha. There were a lot of starters from Nebraska that weren't on the offensive or defensive line. 8 of the starters on the 94' NC team were from Nebraska. There was a lot of local talent besides just linemen.

Yep. Lived in OK for a few years in the 70s and I recall that in TX, boys in 2nd grade who were promising football players were held back a year so that could grow. Now I love my bugeaters, but that there is just plain nuts.

According to this website there are 66 High School Stadiums in the state of Texas that hold OVER 10,000 people and 192 that hold over 5000 people.

My question is this, how many Stadiums in Nebraska hold over 5000? If I had to guess I would answer 0.

Nebraska High School football may appear to be a big deal around here but it is nothing compared to how Texas football is viewed down there, or around the country for that matter. I’m sorry but I’ve been to Class A games in Omaha and I highly doubt the following is anywhere near the following that it would be in Texas.

http://www.texasbob.com/football/tbt_stadium_fcts.html