XBOX 360 ring of death - towel trick

I got the RROD twice, and each time it was repaired, pretty quickly.

I had another problem recently, and it wasn't covered by the warrantly so I purposefully overheated the console to give it the Red Rings. It worked, but once the console cooled off the rings went away, and the old problem remained, so it appears that they've fixed the problem pretty well.

By the way, I wouldn't recommend overheating the unit on purpose. Inside the towel it gets very hot, hot enough to burn you on contact, and is most likely a HUGE fire hazard.

Anyone hear about this trick to fix their xbox 360 when the ring of death appears? I was about to head to the store last night and buy a new 360 when I was bored on youtube and saw the towel trick that I had heard about before? Wrapped my xbox up in towels and left it turned on for 20 min. Then let it cool back down for about a half hour. Ring of death gone and it works great now again. Not sure how long it will last, sounds like each xbox is different. Never believed it would work, but it saved me a couple hundred bucks...at least for now. Who else has tried this?? If you get the ring of death, don't throw your xbox out. Give this a try first at least.

Solution: Buy a PlayStation 3

Thing is... The RRoD is no longer an issue... gaming anymore is all about Live and 360 is so much better than PS3 in that department....

Open to debate. They do make plenty of single player games still. And if you want to play on Live, you have to pony up$50, where PSN is free.

RRoD is only not an issue on new 360s, if you have one older than a year, its something you have to deal with still. Its a side effect of a rather massive design flaw.

• 2 weeks later...

Well i was having a problem with my xbox360 since kept on freezing on me. So i called microsoft and told me that i would have to send it in and it would cost me 120 or fix it over the internet and it would cost me 100. Ok then I said what the since i didnt want to pay that much so i tried the towel trick just today. I wrapped it up in 3 towels let the dam thing heat for about 25mins unplugged it then it cooled down. After i hooked everything back up turned it on......and its been playing fine..so far that is

Well i was having a problem with my xbox360 since kept on freezing on me. So i called microsoft and told me that i would have to send it in and it would cost me 120 or fix it over the internet and it would cost me 100. Ok then I said what the since i didnt want to pay that much so i tried the towel trick just today. I wrapped it up in 3 towels let the dam thing heat for about 25mins unplugged it then it cooled down. After i hooked everything back up turned it on......and its been playing fine..so far that is

Ouch, i hate to hear these stories. The only problems that I have personally heard about PS3s, was from a friend and co worker who's PS3 was making noise, and at one point just shut off. So he called Sony, they told him to either return it at the store and lose your memory, or ship them the unit and they would fix it, because it was still under warranty.

So he does, and three weeks later he gets a new unit, with all his save game data pre-loaded. All he was out was the time and cost of shipping, and that is the only person that I know who has ever had a serious problem with their unit.

I havw been wondering, do you guys not have valid warranties, or is Microsoft just not honoring them, or what? I ask because I know Halo is awesome, I know X Box has a slight edge in software. (here in the states anyway) But other than that, what is it that draws people to them? The controlers are clunky, the units are sketchy, if no down right under powered. And their customer service is a joke. And why is it again you have to buy so many different models for higher performance? The PS3 is tops right out of the box, the only question is how much memory do you want?

I guess all I'm trying to say is, come to the dark side men, it better than you have ever imagined!

• 5 months later...

red rings should get you a replacement from MS. Granted it will be a referb...

Most of the time its your same unit fixed.

depends on who you read. I dont know from firsthand, I'm a PS3 guy

and I am unfortunately a first hand guy. (3 times :LOLtartar)

Make it 4 times. This time I'm outside the warranty. $99 to get her fixed. I'm thinking I might just crack it open and have some fun.

Make it 4 times. This time I'm outside the warranty. $99 to get her fixed. I'm thinking I might just crack it open and have some fun.

Can I ask where you have your Xbox sitting at? The RoD is an overheating issue. I have had my X for 4 years and have never had an issue with it. But I already was informed of the RoD so I have the X sitting by itself with no other heat sources around it and I have a PC fan blowing air over it.

Ouch, i hate to hear these stories. The only problems that I have personally heard about PS3s, was from a friend and co worker who's PS3 was making noise, and at one point just shut off. So he called Sony, they told him to either return it at the store and lose your memory, or ship them the unit and they would fix it, because it was still under warranty.

So he does, and three weeks later he gets a new unit, with all his save game data pre-loaded. All he was out was the time and cost of shipping, and that is the only person that I know who has ever had a serious problem with their unit.

I havw been wondering, do you guys not have valid warranties, or is Microsoft just not honoring them, or what? I ask because I know Halo is awesome, I know X Box has a slight edge in software. (here in the states anyway) But other than that, what is it that draws people to them? The controlers are clunky, the units are sketchy, if no down right under powered. And their customer service is a joke. And why is it again you have to buy so many different models for higher performance? The PS3 is tops right out of the box, the only question is how much memory do you want?

I guess all I'm trying to say is, come to the dark side men, it better than you have ever imagined!

Ill give you a good reason. Friends. I was Playstation guy all of my life. Owned them all. So when my PS2 was becoming obselete with the new systems coming out, all of my friends had gotten 360's while we all played PS2 before. So I wanted to still be able to play with them, so I got a 360. I have a PS3 now as well. And there is benefits to both. Xbox live is a joke that they make you pay for, not worth it, just an established market. PSN is okay, but im not to big on the navigation and partying and such. But its what you prefer. I wish my friends all would have gotten PS3's but I like my xbox too. I havent had any problems with either systems. The PS3 wireless capabilities are terrible. Has a hard time downloading updates. But the bluray is a big plus.

Can I ask where you have your Xbox sitting at? The RoD is an overheating issue. I have had my X for 4 years and have never had an issue with it. But I already was informed of the RoD so I have the X sitting by itself with no other heat sources around it and I have a PC fan blowing air over it.

eliot, is there one game that you primarily play? And do you have a decent amount of room on your memory? My suggestion is go through your hard drive and delete data that you dont want anymore, then install your most played game to your hard drive (about 6 GB usually) I did this with COD MW2 so that way when I play the disk doesnt spin, it can read from your harddrive. Its better for your game and the system. Also, what disturbed said, just put it on a flat hard surface by its self..

eliot, is there one game that you primarily play? And do you have a decent amount of room on your memory? My suggestion is go through your hard drive and delete data that you dont want anymore, then install your most played game to your hard drive (about 6 GB usually) I did this with COD MW2 so that way when I play the disk doesnt spin, it can read from your harddrive. Its better for your game and the system. Also, what disturbed said, just put it on a flat hard surface by its self..

I appreciate the advice guys, and I am well aware of the issues. The box was by itself without anything around it, and the game I was playing is on the HDD. The Red Ring is not always an overheating issue either. In my case it was hardware failure of some type. $99 to get it repaired or $199 for a new one... decisions, decisions. I just picked up the new one. Lets see how long she lasts.

PS: CoD MW2 = Good