XBOX 360 ring of death - towel trick

Well due to the fact that my old box was out of warranty, I decided to fix it myself. Reading up on some things on the web, it wasn't too hard. The hardest part was opening the case. It's security is tighter than the White House. Now I need to figure out how I can best utilize two xboxes. :LOLtartar

red rings should get you a replacement from MS. Granted it will be a referb...

Most of the time its your same unit fixed.

I think that's generally the case, except in my circumstance.

My xbox was doing all sorts of crazy stuff. I would turn it on but the picture wouldn't show up on the T.V. nor would the controller and xbox link up. What I had to do was sit in front of the xbox for 10 minutes and open the CD tray, close the cd tray, and as soon as the cd tray closed I would hit the sync button on both the xbox and controller. It was the only thing that would ever turn it on.

If it didn't turn on after a few attempts of doing this, I would get the red ring of death. Eventually, this problem persisted and then the xbox refused to read game discs. My warranty had already been over 6 months. But, I sent in a fix it and my xbox. I got a brand new one (but still the same first gen version) and got an extended warranty. They were pretty awesome about it, to say the least. Plus, it only took a little under two weeks to get back to me.

My first xbox red ringed last year, so I just went out and got one of the new Jasper series 360's that include an extended heat pump and a new GPU. They also use less power, and make less heat in general, which caused all the problems with the older Xbox's. No issues yet. wink.gif