Allen holds key to defense

Step up the LB and DB play.....how is that going to happen against the spread? Let's see, if the line is blocked, then we can't blitz and get to the QB. If we line up linebackers over WRs in those four and five WR wide open sets, well, then somebody is always going to be open. If the D-line steps up, there won't be as many four and five WR open sets because the offense will have to protect its QB.

The math is pretty simple.

We have four D-lineman and one LB against their OL plus an LB to spy the running QB out of the spread. The DBs are then man-up against the WRs. It's very hard to run zones when you are spread out all over the field. If our four-man line covers the O-line up front, one LB should have a free run at the QB and the other should be free to pursue the QBs escape angle.

If the O-line blocks the front four and puts a body on an LB then the QB has time. If the spy LB gets caught up in traffic and the QB leaves the pocket....well, it could be a huge play.

I would disagree about the depth at DE. We have Allen for sure, and everyone is just hoping Turner returns to form, but knee injuries can be very tricky. We will have to wait and see what Turner brings to the table.

After these two, we are going to have to have some people step up, but I have a fair amount of confidence in Carl Pelini to get the d-line into shape.

Step up the LB and DB play.....how is that going to happen against the spread? Let's see, if the line is blocked, then we can't blitz and get to the QB. If we line up linebackers over WRs in those four and five WR wide open sets, well, then somebody is always going to be open. If the D-line steps up, there won't be as many four and five WR open sets because the offense will have to protect its QB.

We have four D-lineman and one LB against their OL plus an LB to spy the running QB out of the spread. The DBs are then man-up against the WRs. It's very hard to run zones when you are spread out all over the field. If our four-man line covers the O-line up front, one LB should have a free run at the QB and the other should be free to pursue the QBs escape angle.

If the O-line blocks the front four and puts a body on an LB then the QB has time. If the spy LB gets caught up in traffic and the QB leaves the pocket....well, it could be a huge play.

thats pretty much a sellout blitz- its my answer to five wide sets in video games, but we haven't seen much of that the past few years. Mainly, i think, because you have to be confident in your ability to man up like that. Pelini has shown to be more of a fan of zone coverage and zone blitzes, but "spread" isn't really new (some parts of it are esp. the way mizzou was doing it with Daniel) and we generally shredded "spread" teams when we played tehm back when we had good defenses. I remember our guys hitting Weurffel about the same time he got the snap just simply bc we would man up and bring 6, and they did a good job of making sure the free guy was someone like Terell Farley, Jamel Williams, Octavius Mcfarlane, etc.

thats pretty much a sellout blitz- its my answer to five wide sets in video games, but we haven't seen much of that the past few years. Mainly, i think, because you have to be confident in your ability to man up like that. Pelini has shown to be more of a fan of zone coverage and zone blitzes, but "spread" isn't really new (some parts of it are esp. the way mizzou was doing it with Daniel) and we generally shredded "spread" teams when we played tehm back when we had good defenses. I remember our guys hitting Weurffel about the same time he got the snap just simply bc we would man up and bring 6, and they did a good job of making sure the free guy was someone like Terell Farley, Jamel Williams, Octavius Mcfarlane, etc.

True, but I remember getting burned all day by slant routes by TTU and KU during that time. The way to defend the spread is to force mistakes by pressure, but mostly to stiffen in the red zone aka Oklahoma. Spread teams are going to move the ball, but if you make them kick FG and you score TDs eventually the run threat will be gone and you can stop them.

You are dead on with pressure being the key. The line can help us do that by making it harder to account for blitzers. I would just love to see teams feel like they had to get at least some help to block Allen in addition to blocking Suh with two guys. Imagine this....Allen goes on an inside rush, crushes that tackle into the middle of the pile and Thenarse comes off the edge right at the QB just as he's taking the snap from center. ROCK!!!!!

:box:box:box:box:box:box

You are dead on with pressure being the key. The line can help us do that by making it harder to account for blitzers. I would just love to see teams feel like they had to get at least some help to block Allen in addition to blocking Suh with two guys. Imagine this....Allen goes on an inside rush, crushes that tackle into the middle of the pile and Thenarse comes off the edge right at the QB just as he's taking the snap from center. ROCK!!!!!

:box:box:box:box:box:box

In my heart there is a dark little creature that laughed evilly when I read that.

Nine days until Fall drills begin. 37 days until opening kickoff.