Allen holds key to defense

In my eyes, here is how the defense sizes up. Nebraska has returners at DB and safety, but coverage was less than stellar at times last year. The LBs might be talented, but they are young and need a good defensive line to protect them so they can create havoc instead of worrying about shedding blocks all the dang time. The defensive line is centered around Suh, but there are question marks. Who will start opposite Suh and can that guy make an impact? Barry Turner is back from injury, but how quickly will he be a factor?

That's why they key to the defense is......Pierre Allen. He really blossomed last year and looks primed to step into the spotlight this year. If he does, the pressure is on the O-Line to find a way to block Suh and keep the defensive end from taking an inside rush right to the QB. A worried line won't be as able to block our linebackers on run plays and blitz pick ups. There will be more pressure on the QB, and, as a result, the DBs will have an easier job. If Allen doesn't step forward, then teams will just double Ducky and the Huskers will have a hard time getting a consistent push against non-cupcakes, making it harder for everyone else to do their jobs.

Just my feeling. Any other thoughts?

In my eyes, here is how the defense sizes up. Nebraska has returners at DB and safety, but coverage was less than stellar at times last year. The LBs might be talented, but they are young and need a good defensive line to protect them so they can create havoc instead of worrying about shedding blocks all the dang time. The defensive line is centered around Suh, but there are question marks. Who will start opposite Suh and can that guy make an impact? Barry Turner is back from injury, but how quickly will he be a factor?

That's why they key to the defense is......Pierre Allen. He really blossomed last year and looks primed to step into the spotlight this year. If he does, the pressure is on the O-Line to find a way to block Suh and keep the defensive end from taking an inside rush right to the QB. A worried line won't be as able to block our linebackers on run plays and blitz pick ups. There will be more pressure on the QB, and, as a result, the DBs will have an easier job. If Allen doesn't step forward, then teams will just double Ducky and the Huskers will have a hard time getting a consistent push against non-cupcakes, making it harder for everyone else to do their jobs.

Just my feeling. Any other thoughts?

Yeah. I think Allen will really show what he has to offer this year after getting some solid experience last year when Turner went down.

Allen was a pleasant surprise last year; I think he will be even more appreciated this year.

Ndamukong Suh was doubled most of last year and still led the team in tackles and sacks, so I don't think the double-teams he'll see this year will take him out of many games.

It's hard to say that one guy is "the key" to the defense. It's not like on offense where one player can shoulder the load. If there is one guy on defense, it would be Suh. But really, the whole line has to step up big this year because of exactly what you said - the youth at LB this year and the shaky play of the DBs last year.

Allen, Crick and Turner will need to step up, big-time.

Ndamukong Suh was doubled most of last year and still led the team in tackles and sacks, so I don't think the double-teams he'll see this year will take him out of many games.

Was he doubled more toward the end of the season? Did his production go down or stay relatively consistent?

Just asking - I am really curious.

Suh is a beast. I just want those other guys to take advantage when the attention is on the middle of the line. I am hoping that guy is Allen.

Agreed. I liked what I saw from Allen last year, tossed into the deep end when he was probably expecting to get a little PT here and there. He played well under the circumstances. He ended up with four or five sacks, as I recall.

The great thing about our line is, we're legit two-deep. We have guys backing up Turner, Crick, Suh and Allen who won't let the level drop - Moore and Steinkuhler in the middle and Cameron Meredith and Josh Williams on the ends.

This is the deepest D-Line we've had in years, and maybe the most talented since 1999. I expect great things out of these guys.

And by "great things" I mean destruction and dismay in the offensive backfield. :w00t

Was he doubled more toward the end of the season? Did his production go down or stay relatively consistent?

That is something I do not know (the double-team question). As for his stats, they remained consistent through the season, with a huge game against Kansas and another against Clemson. Here's a link to his ESPN page:

http://espndb.go.com/ncf/player/profile?playerId=175300

That is something I do not know (the double-team question). As for his stats, they remained consistent through the season, with a huge game against Kansas and another against Clemson. Here's a link to his ESPN page:

http://espndb.go.com/ncf/player/profile?playerId=175300

Thanks. My thinking is that coming off his unremarkable soph year, the first teams we played last year probably didn't put the spot light on him. As the year goes on, Suh gets more and more attention. I thought his stats might go down, however it looks like he played up to the challenge.

How about, instead, we just step things up in the secondary/LB?

Yes, that has to happen, but shouldn't we build on our strengths at the same time? It's kind of a chicken and egg thing - if the line plays outstanding, the LBs and DBs will look better. If the LBs and DBs play outstanding then the line will look better.

I think we're going to see marked improvement everywhere by the middle of the season, with flashes and glimpses here and there to start. It'll take the young LB corps some time to get going, but with a solid line in front of them I don't think we'll be displeased with what we see to start.