Lincoln: Is it that unattractive to recruits?

Actually a considerable chunk of Boone's donation-money was tied-up in investments that went south, building hit a snag. We already have facilities Okie Lite PLANS on having, plus we're doing our own building to take it to the next level. I think you are assuming too much in terms of what other programs have. Neb has better than most programs, including the major programs. Having great facilities has long been a point of pride and a recruiting advantage, Neb won't give that up. I don't see them being the standard-bearer they were back in the heydey, lots of programs have good to great faciliites now. But they are still among an elite few. As with Oregon they need an edge to make-up for other disadvantages. Because of that need they'll work harder to stay around the top. The Suh donation gives our facilities the "glitz factor" Oregon specializes in, I'd say we're fairly comparable overall now.

$1 million, a few i-pads and a couple LCD tv's don't even put us close to Oregon.

Okie St. (locker room at around 1:30 - cafeteria at 3:30)

Regardless of the investments, they still finished the football facilities in 2009. The "athletic village" is still being developed (because it is part of a $500 million athletic facility upgrade which has a duration of 10 years starting in 2005) - but that would just put them over the top. What they currently have is still pretty sweet. A story was run by the Times that stated Pickens lost the entire $165 million investment back in 2008, which might be what you are refering too. It ended up being wrong and I think was retracted. OSU was in possession of it, and he pledged an additaion $65 million after that. Then another $100 million for scholarships in February. That brings his total donations to almost a half billion. I think the entire endowment for UNL is barely a billion. While it takes Lincoln taxpayers to upgrade the facilities at UNL - Okie just has to ask Boone. Must be nice :)

The athletic department does not use tax payer money to upgrade facilities. It is all paid for by donations. I think you are forgetting the athletic department makes $100 million each year a large portion of which goes back to the university. They haven't borrowed from university funds for any of the recent projects (west stadium, north stadium). Also the future upgrades to east stadium will once again be paid for by donations, not the athletic budget, university budget, or tax payer money.

I must have been mistaken then - I thought Lincoln taxpayers were funding the arena our basketball teams will be playing in shortly.

Actually a considerable chunk of Boone's donation-money was tied-up in investments that went south, building hit a snag. We already have facilities Okie Lite PLANS on having, plus we're doing our own building to take it to the next level. I think you are assuming too much in terms of what other programs have. Neb has better than most programs, including the major programs. Having great facilities has long been a point of pride and a recruiting advantage, Neb won't give that up. I don't see them being the standard-bearer they were back in the heydey, lots of programs have good to great faciliites now. But they are still among an elite few. As with Oregon they need an edge to make-up for other disadvantages. Because of that need they'll work harder to stay around the top. The Suh donation gives our facilities the "glitz factor" Oregon specializes in, I'd say we're fairly comparable overall now.

$1 million, a few i-pads and a couple LCD tv's don't even put us close to Oregon.

Okie St. (locker room at around 1:30 - cafeteria at 3:30)

Regardless of the investments, they still finished the football facilities in 2009. The "athletic village" is still being developed (because it is part of a $500 million athletic facility upgrade which has a duration of 10 years starting in 2005) - but that would just put them over the top. What they currently have is still pretty sweet. A story was run by the Times that stated Pickens lost the entire $165 million investment back in 2008, which might be what you are refering too. It ended up being wrong and I think was retracted. OSU was in possession of it, and he pledged an additaion $65 million after that. Then another $100 million for scholarships in February. That brings his total donations to almost a half billion. I think the entire endowment for UNL is barely a billion. While it takes Lincoln taxpayers to upgrade the facilities at UNL - Okie just has to ask Boone. Must be nice :)

I said FAIRLY comparable OVERALL. If you look at cool-factor Oregon is the hands-down winner obviously. But our facilities, when you actually consider function, are as good as any. Plus we did add some cool-factor with the Suh contribution. I'd say Oregon is tops but they aren't running away with it by any means.