Lincoln: Is it that unattractive to recruits?

And KC.... How can you say that you haven't been on a lot of campuses, but you know there are 50-100 you'd rather spend 4 years of your life at. Contradicting statements.

It's not hard to say. I've been to most of the states, just not the actual campuses. Sorry to bash UNL but it's just not a great campus. KU vs. UNL (in my impartial opinion since i'm not an alumni)...KU wins in nearly every category (except gameday during football season, and they make up for it during basketball). I'd take 4-5 FL schools over Nebraska any day, mainly because the cities they are in. Same way with Cali schools, and a few Washington schools. The city is as much a part of the campus as the couple hundred acres it sits on. The city contributes to the campus culture. Culture is certainly something that UNL is extremly lacking. I grew up in Nebraska. Going to visit friends at UNL was no different than my life growing up. Plain, mundane, and the whole place was beef eating, republicans. (which I'm one of but still...).

Arizona State, amazing. Duke, NC, NC State, Ole Miss, LSU, Alabama, Virginia Tech - all awesome campuses. Notre Dame - nuff said. Even the Ivy league schools all have campuses that put Nebraskas to shame. How about Ohio State, Michigan, Penn State, etc in the Big10? Head and shoulders above UNL.

UNL's campus lacks the architecture that makes numerous other campuses unique. (-1) It lacks the city. (-1) O st. bar scene is nothing to be impressed by, and everything else within 3 miles of the campus is borderline industrial-ghetto. It lacks beauty. (-1) There are more weeds in the grass than lawn. Arizona St. almost has more trees than UNL's campus. The party scene is fairly week in comparison to a campus like Columbia. (-1) History (-1) Weather (-1) Public transportation (-1) Diversity (-1) local jobs post-graduation (-1) Although Omaha is helping with this. Outdoor life (-1)...you could go on an on. There are many great things about the school like some of the facilities for athletes...but since I'm about 75 pounds and 5 inches shy of ever being an football player, me personally...I'd pick another campus to spend my 4 years at. And I could name 50-100...regardless of every seeing them

And KC.... How can you say that you haven't been on a lot of campuses, but you know there are 50-100 you'd rather spend 4 years of your life at. Contradicting statements.

It's not hard to say. I've been to most of the states, just not the actual campuses. Sorry to bash UNL but it's just not a great campus. KU vs. UNL (in my impartial opinion since i'm not an alumni)...KU wins in nearly every category (except gameday during football season, and they make up for it during basketball). I'd take 4-5 FL schools over Nebraska any day, mainly because the cities they are in. Same way with Cali schools, and a few Washington schools. The city is as much a part of the campus as the couple hundred acres it sits on. The city contributes to the campus culture. Culture is certainly something that UNL is extremly lacking. I grew up in Nebraska. Going to visit friends at UNL was no different than my life growing up. Plain, mundane, and the whole place was beef eating, republicans. (which I'm one of but still...).

Arizona State, amazing. Duke, NC, NC State, Ole Miss, LSU, Alabama, Virginia Tech - all awesome campuses. Notre Dame - nuff said. Even the Ivy league schools all have campuses that put Nebraskas to shame. How about Ohio State, Michigan, Penn State, etc in the Big10? Head and shoulders above UNL.

UNL's campus lacks the architecture that makes numerous other campuses unique. (-1) It lacks the city. (-1) O st. bar scene is nothing to be impressed by, and everything else within 3 miles of the campus is borderline industrial-ghetto. It lacks beauty. (-1) There are more weeds in the grass than lawn. Arizona St. almost has more trees than UNL's campus. The party scene is fairly week in comparison to a campus like Columbia. (-1) History (-1) Weather (-1) Public transportation (-1) Diversity (-1) local jobs post-graduation (-1) Although Omaha is helping with this. Outdoor life (-1)...you could go on an on. There are many great things about the school like some of the facilities for athletes...but since I'm about 75 pounds and 5 inches shy of ever being an football player, me personally...I'd pick another campus to spend my 4 years at. And I could name 50-100...regardless of every seeing them

I'm glad you and SkerChicago don't recruit for the Big Red. Your sales pitches suck. I personally disagree with much of what both of you say, but I'll leave it at that.

KCHUSKER,

You would absolutely love Chadron State in Chadron NE. Tucked in the beautiful hills of NW Nebraska with a beautiful campus and great outdoor life.

I spent four years in Kearney NE and loved every last minute of it!

Like other posters have said, it is all about the people you spend that time with. I've had more fun in cornfields by a bonfire outside of Minden, NE than I've had at bars in downtown Madison, WI. However, I was with friends in the cornfields and my sister in Madison. Although I must say, Madison was pretty fun!

KCHUSKER,

You would absolutely love Chadron State in Chadron NE. Tucked in the beautiful hills of NW Nebraska with a beautiful campus and great outdoor life.

Like other posters have said, it is all about the people you spend that time with. I've had more fun in cornfields by a bonfire outside of Minden, NE than I've had at bars in downtown Madison, WI. However, I was with friends in the cornfields and my sister in Madison. Although I must say, Madison was pretty fun!

I've done plenty of bonfires, and don't mean to knock UNL too much. Figured I'd start a "lets all get hopped up on :koolaid2: and fight kchusker party". I personally am a big fan of Raleigh and the surrounding area. NC State was small but pretty nice IMO. And IMO Chadron State has neither a beautiful campus nor much of an outdoor life. If you want to shoot things, or rope some cattle it might work for you - but that's about it.

You are right though, it's all about the people you spend time with. How much time are these recruits spending w/ their friends when they visit campus? They might get paired with a couple players but that time will be very limited...and regardless they are outsiders at that point anyway. So that argument is irrelevent when trying to sell the campus to a recruit. They may very well enjoy it after being there for a while...who wouldn't it's college. But if I walked onto that campus, or drove around the neighborhood...I would not consider UNL that spectacular. It's perpetually under construction in some shape or form. You've got crap highways, train tracks, vacant buildings (almost all of O street these days). If you want to go some place nice you end up clear down on 40th...and you better not plan on getting there on a subway or a bike. Bike trails are rare, public transportation doesn't exist.

Reference Wayne Lyon's questionaire (which he based on other recruit's) he gave coaches. He asked about 1) transportation, 2) diversity, 3) weather, 4) large airport/commute from said airport, 5) lodging near school, (ghetto except for cornhusker) 6) jobs, 7) neighborhood within 5 mile radius, 8) shopping

We don't stack up too well against most of the BCS when it comes to a number of these items. Just my opinion.

KCHUSKER,

I've done plenty of bonfires, and don't mean to knock UNL too much. Figured I'd start a "lets all get hopped up on :koolaid2: and fight kchusker party". I personally am a big fan of Raleigh and the surrounding area. NC State was small but pretty nice IMO. And IMO Chadron State has neither a beautiful campus nor much of an outdoor life. If you want to shoot things, or rope some cattle it might work for you - but that's about it.

You are right though, it's all about the people you spend time with. How much time are these recruits spending w/ their friends when they visit campus? They might get paired with a couple players but that time will be very limited...and regardless they are outsiders at that point anyway. So that argument is irrelevent when trying to sell the campus to a recruit. They may very well enjoy it after being there for a while...who wouldn't it's college. But if I walked onto that campus, or drove around the neighborhood...I would not consider UNL that spectacular. It's perpetually under construction in some shape or form. You've got crap highways, train tracks, vacant buildings (almost all of O street these days). If you want to go some place nice you end up clear down on 40th...and you better not plan on getting there on a subway or a bike. Bike trails are rare, public transportation doesn't exist.

Reference Wayne Lyon's questionaire (which he based on other recruit's) he gave coaches. He asked about 1) transportation, 2) diversity, 3) weather, 4) large airport/commute from said airport, 5) lodging near school, (ghetto except for cornhusker) 6) jobs, 7) neighborhood within 5 mile radius, 8) shopping

We don't stack up too well against most of the BCS when it comes to a number of these items. Just my opinion.

Sorry KC I didn't mean to come to your "gang up on KC party". I represented my point poorly. Chadron/Kearney are my opinions, I wasn't implying that you would like them.

What I was trying to say was: Everybody has different opinions when it comes to looking at campuses whether it be transportation, architecture, layout, etc. But what everyone enjoyes is good company. The best way for a person to find good company is to find a culture one enjoys. If that person enjoys the culture that Bo Peline has instilled (hard work/business/hopefully winning) he will find Lincoln very attractive.

I'm glad you and SkerChicago don't recruit for the Big Red. Your sales pitches suck. I personally disagree with much of what both of you say, but I'll leave it at that.

Don't get your panties in a bunch just cause someone disagrees with you. I've been to campuses all over and UNL is very average.

Don't get your panties in a bunch just cause someone disagrees with you. I've been to campuses all over and UNL is very average.

I love UNL, but honestly your post hits the nail on the head. Players will come to Nebraska because of the football and the fact as an academic school we are vastly improving....but not because of the town or the architecture or anything else. In fact I got my first degree from UNO because I didn't have any idea what I wanted to do and UNO's campus was just as nice and that part of Omaha was much more attractive (in fact the whole city of omaha>>>>>>>>>lincoln (besides game days)). I am now getting a degree from Lincoln as well, but that is mainly because of in-state cost and the fact I am going into broadcast/media and UNL's journalism college is one of the best in the country. But I am not going because of the town or campus....in fact if tuition out of state wasn't so much I would have probably been headed to KU (Lawrence is an awesome town).

A college campus and the city that it is in are two completely different things.. You could say Miami is nicer than lincoln and you'd be right and wrong in some sense. What makes a campus? Weather? Lincoln as a city itself is not a bad city, don't understand why that's a minus 1... apparently you haven't been on ASU and NU's campus both because I just talked to a friend who goes to ASU and said it's not even close with the trees, but good attempt at that one. What is public transportation? The fact that every UNL student gets FREE bus transportation on any of the campus or city buses? There is a way to get to every class or place you want/need to get to through the bus system. Diversity is lacking, I'll give you that, but diversity is lacking at many campuses throughout the nation.

A college campus and the city that it is in are two completely different things.. You could say Miami is nicer than lincoln and you'd be right and wrong in some sense. What makes a campus? Weather? Lincoln as a city itself is not a bad city, don't understand why that's a minus 1... apparently you haven't been on ASU and NU's campus both because I just talked to a friend who goes to ASU and said it's not even close with the trees, but good attempt at that one. What is public transportation? The fact that every UNL student gets FREE bus transportation on any of the campus or city buses? There is a way to get to every class or place you want/need to get to through the bus system. Diversity is lacking, I'll give you that, but diversity is lacking at many campuses throughout the nation.

The OP was in regards to the city of Lincoln...

Regardless, they really are the same thing though. Especially in a city as small as Lincoln where the campus defines the city. It's all that is there. Ask any student why they like KU's campus better than NU's and they are going to describe the city of Lawrence, Mass St., etc when they make their justifications. Ask someone why they like UCLA's campus and they'll talk about the ocean (or proximity to it). Miami will talk about the city/night life. Northwestern kids will talk about Chicago, Navy Pier, Michigan Avenue (been on their campus too). How many Friday/Saturday nights do you spend "on" the campus? How many of your favorite college memories were based on something that happened within the 200 acres, or outside of it? Was your favorite part of college the LAN parties in the freshman dorm or did you actually 'do' something w/ your free time? I've spent many nights on Mass in Lawrence...and I can guarentee you the college females don't spend their evenings on the campus. Maybe the ones you want to marry, but not the ones you want when you're 20. :)

As for Arizona St, I was in Tempe for the super bowl a couple years ago - it's practically in the desert - I was being semi-sarcastic regarding the trees. Went to Mill Ave, the bar scene in Tempe puts O.St. to shame. (especially super bowl weekend)

Regarding public transportation. A Northwestern student can walk 4 blocks to a subway, ride the blue line to the airport and fly home. Costs him $5 to get there and he didn't have to sit on a smelly bus. A kid going to UCLA can get to LAX in 20 minutes and fly non-stop to Miami, FL. But to fly out of fly out of Lincoln you're looking at stoping in Minneapolis of Denver, and spending a minimum of what...500-600 to get to a place like Miama? And it takes an entire day? You can fly out of Omaha but how do you get there? Even a parent living on the other side of the US can more easily get to UCLA to watch their son play than someone can get to Lincoln.

I don't know - you'll have an impossible time convincing me Lincoln "OR" the campus of UNL is in the top 100. I haven't heard a single thing about the campus that makes it in any way unique or distinguishes it from 500 other campuses across the US. These recruits walk on anwhere from 5 - 25 campuses before they make their decision. Since we are talking about the campus/city...what sets it appart? The academic center? Football facilities? 15 years ago maybe, not today. Other BCS schools have closed that gap. It's just not a great selling point recruiting against UCLA, Texas, Ohio St, etc. Which is why we push other things. I imagine the campus is portrayed as a small piece of the puzzle...and any recruit that mentions what the campus lacks is quickly met with a response like "if you see much of the campus while you are here...you aren't spending enough time in the weight/film room"